DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 remote ID

So what you are saying is that all the people that are upgrading and want to sell the mavic air 2 they are screwed because the people that buy it won't be able to use it legally because they can't get the remote ID!!

So what you are saying is that all the people that are upgrading and want to sell the mavic air 2 they are screwed because the people that buy it won't be able to use it legally because they can't get the remote ID!!
Still holding onto hope that they include the MA2 and M2P on a future firmware update that can make them compliant. If not, I guess I'll upgrade to the M3P a little earlier than I wanted to...

That's not a good selling point for a first time drone, guess he/her will have to fly illegally!!
No, as pointed out they will have to get an RID retrofit module, and attach it to the drone.

I just found out today that my mavic air 2 will need to be ID compliant by September 16, 2023. I started searching and found this site. After reviewing the forum, does anyone know what will happen on 9/16,2023? Will this drone the air 2 be able to take off at all. Where is this module that people are referring to and where do you buy it. Also, how do you attach this device to the air 2 and get it to operate properly.

Realistically is it better to attempt to get rid of this drone now than keep waiting. My air 2 is in great operating condition and I enjoy flying and taking pics and videos. I just need to figure out what to do. I guess I will have until September to fly and then I will be grounded. I need help with this matter . Thanks , have a great day.....

From the internal information I have received, the Air 2 will NOT be Remote ID capable by a firmware update. A FAA certified Remote ID Module will be necessary.

I am hopful as we get near Setpember, we will have some options as to a module that isn't ~$300 as current avaialble ones are priced at.
That's what I am concerned with. I/We'd like to be able to make our drones compliant with some "heads up" before the September 16th deadline!

So what your saying is the mavic air2 becomes a worthless drone after 9/16/2023
No, I didn't say that.

I said that to continue flying it, it will need to be retrofit with an RID module.

Is there something unclear about what appears, to me at least, to be "see spot run" simplistic language?

Reactions: NTTD and AZDave
Ashley, it will fly fine. You simply will not be allowed to fly in towns or neae buildings. Check the A1 and A3 categories. Mavic air 2 will be category A3 without remote id.
Irrelevant to Ashley. She's in Hawaii, subject to FAA regulation.

Ashley, to fly legally anywhere in US airspace under FAA jurisdiction you will have to have an external RID module attached to your Air 2, configured with your FAA registration number (which it broadcasts).

After 9/16 the only place you can fly without RID is a FRIA, basically a designated RC hobby field managed by a local community organization (usually an RC flying club) and endorsed by the FAA.

The only alternative is to get a <250g drone, like any of the Mini series. A Mini 3 Pro is functionally a good replacement for an Air 2, and in fact is better in some respects. Much better camera module, for example.

Unfortunately, the Mini3P has RID built in because of the extended battery option which puts it over 250g. And it can't be turned off.

Best bet? Just don't fight it, get an RID module, and keep flying.

Reactions: BigRus75
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1