DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 remote ID

Irrelevant to Ashley. She's in Hawaii, subject to FAA regulation.

Ashley, to fly legally anywhere in US airspace under FAA jurisdiction you will have to have an external RID module attached to your Air 2, configured with your FAA registration number (which it broadcasts).

After 9/16 the only place you can fly without RID is a FRIA, basically a designated RC hobby field managed by a local community organization (usually an RC flying club) and endorsed by the FAA.

The only alternative is to get a <250g drone, like any of the Mini series. A Mini 3 Pro is functionally a good replacement for an Air 2, and in fact is better in some respects. Much better camera module, for example.

Unfortunately, the Mini3P has RID built in because of the extended battery option which puts it over 250g. And it can't be turned off.

Best bet? Just don't fight it, get an RID module, and keep flying.
Makes no difference on which battery is in the mini 3 pro,as it is broadcasting RID anyway.
The 250g weight matters not. Can't be turned off means exactly that regular battery or extended.

Makes no difference on which battery is in the mini 3 pro,as it is broadcasting RID anyway.
The 250g weight matters not. Can't be turned off means exactly that regular battery or extended.
The Extended Battery is the reason RID is integrated with the Mini3, as required by the FAA.

Like the Mini2, the 3 could have been designed without integrated RID if it didn't exceed 250g.

The Extended Battery is the reason RID is integrated with the Mini3, as required by the FAA.

Like the Mini2, the 3 could have been designed without integrated RID if it didn't exceed 250g.
Check the owners manual for the mini 3 pro,and on page 72 you will find that it says the mini 3 pro is broadcasting RID
from takeoff to shutdown .The extended battery had nothing to do with why DJI implemented RID,as it is on the FAA compliance
list.Any DJI drone on the compliance list,is subject to broadcasting RID as the mini 3 pro is.Nothing else to add or say it is what it is.
But I know some people will argue the facts to no end.

Reactions: Torque
Check the owners manual for the mini 3 pro,and on page 72 you will find that it says the mini 3 pro is broadcasting RID
from takeoff to shutdown .The extended battery had nothing to do with why DJI implemented RID,as it is on the FAA compliance
list.Any DJI drone on the compliance list,is subject to broadcasting RID as the mini 3 pro is.Nothing else to add or say it is what it is.
But I know some people will argue the facts to no end.
You're missing the all-important detail for why its on the list: The extended battery.

The Mini 2 does not, and never will need to broadcast RID. Sub 250g aircraft are exempt.

Because DJI offers the option of a battery that pushes the Mini3 and Mini3P over 250g, the FAA requires integrated RID.

The 3 is on the compliance list because it's characteristics (weight, date of release) require it to be.

You could theoretically disable the RID function and be completely compliant and legal so long as you only fly with the standard battery.

I say "theoretically" because there's no known way to.

Reactions: NTTD
You're missing the all-important detail for why its on the list: The extended battery.

The Mini 2 does not, and never will need to broadcast RID. Sub 250g aircraft are exempt.

Because DJI offers the option of a battery that pushes the Mini3 and Mini3P over 250g, the FAA requires integrated RID.

The 3 is on the compliance list because it's characteristics (weight, date of release) require it to be.

You could theoretically disable the RID function and be completely compliant and legal so long as you only fly with the standard battery.

Not exactly correct. ANY and ALL drones used for Part 107 MUST have RID, either native or with module.

Sorry but I am missing nothing,not talking about the mini 2,did you not check in the manual on page 73 to see what
it says. Do not recall it saying anything about an extended battery.I think you are fabricating a lot of this stuff ,so kindly
do not reply anymore,and I am done here.More important stuff to do than waste my time with this.

@Hobbynumberone, perhaps you don't speak English very well. Each of your posts has implied an extremely poor comprehsion of what i wrote.

So I saw this posted on DroneJD saying an update to Air 2 was delayed until Sep. 30th.

I later was able to find this from DJI:

Near the bottom of the list:
1688655911801.png
I'm not celebrating until firmware drops, but this is the most promising thing I have seen so far.

Reactions: StantonZ
Personally, I just don't fly at altitudes that even remotely get into the realm of *possible* aircraft traffic.

The Mavic Air 2 already has ADSB Sensors. The *smart* controller very quickly to any aircraft in the vicinity

Going to fly my Air 2 tomorrow morning. I won't fly it again (After the 16th) until the RID software update is available.

Going to fly my Air 2 tomorrow morning. I won't fly it again (After the 16th) until the RID software update is available.
Standy for an FAA announcement. Looks like they will delay the RID start date or delay enforcement until possibly April 2024. Annouced at the Keynote in Las Vegas during the Commercial UAV Expo a couple days ago,

I won't stop flying!

How many Law Officers or FAA types can they possibly put out there *just* for this one issue?

Even neighbors won't be tracking!

All have mush better use of time and resources beside trying to look for RIDs!

I won't stop flying!

How many Law Officers or FAA types can they possibly put out there *just* for this one issue?

None.

Despite the paranoia of some, RID is not even discussed in PD morning meetings. I'll bet $100 that a majority of local (city/town, county) don't even know what RID is. Any takers? PM me 😁

Nowhere in the country do we have the LE resources to monitor RID broadcasts looking for drones misbehaving. Rather, when it comes on board it will largely be an LE tool for responding to complaints, and more importantly, greatly assist airspace management and safety for the coming explosion of commercial autonomous operations.

It is a cinch that the FAA doesn't have such resources!

LEOs keep losing officers to boot!

Neither organizations have resources to deal with this issue!

Only drone owners that fly TOO HIGH will become targets!

I will always stay at 400feet or lower! My controller warns me about aircraft in the vicinity. Haven't had ANY get below 1000 feet except for the nighttime Mosquito Flights. They run at 300feet using a radio altimeter.

Standy for an FAA announcement. Looks like they will delay the RID start date or delay enforcement until possibly April 2024. Annouced at the Keynote in Las Vegas during the Commercial UAV Expo a couple days ago,
That would be cool :)

Let's HOPE that is the case!

Although I will still fly whether they do or not!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13