DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air - 2 weeks old - drifts slightly when above 100 feet

vanderzyde0

Reactions
Hello - I bought the Air about 2 weeks ago. Kept flight low and close to me for first few flights to get the hang of it - all seemed perfect (I updated the firmware as suggested). Next 3 flights I went to 100, 200 then 300 feet. Hovered and noticed that the Air would move very slightly to the left or right when hovering. Think this is a calibration issue? If I re-calibrate everything is there a preferred order to to doing it?

Thanks!

Probably wind. The higher you go the more wind there is sometimes.

Definitely calibrate the IMU, drifting is normally an IMU issue. Yawing is normally a compass issue. Calibrate the IMU first then the compass.

Reactions: JDawg
Could it be that the controller switch is in S mode & not P mode?

More information is needed.

How many satellites did you have and what was the satellite strength?

Did you get any wind warnings? 100ft up the wind can be dramatically different than what you experience on the ground and those apps that try to predict the wind are useless in my experience.

Those are the two most likely culprits of a drift.

Don't mess around with the IMU until you have ruled out the other things.

IMU calibration doesn't hurt the aircraft. IMU calibration is a necessary part of flying and maintaining your aircraft. So when should you calibrate your IMU?
  1. If the DJI Go or Go 4 app tells you to
  2. If you notice the drone hovering at an angle when there is little to no wind, or it drifts without your input.
  3. After a crash or a hard landing.
  4. When you first receive the drone.
  5. After a firmware update.

IMU calibration doesn't hurt the aircraft. IMU calibration is a necessary part of flying and maintaining your aircraft. So when should you calibrate your IMU?
  1. If the DJI Go or Go 4 app tells you to
  2. If you notice the drone hovering at an angle when there is little to no wind, or it drifts without your input.
  3. After a crash or a hard landing.
  4. When you first receive the drone.
  5. After a firmware update.

But not before you rule out the more basic causes like wind or GPS :) We got none of that info from the OP.

But not before you rule out the more basic causes like wind or GPS :) We got none of that info from the OP.
It also doesn't sound like the OP has ever done an IMU calibration which should be done when you get it out of the box for the first time or do a firmware update. I was just saying it can't hurt and should be done anyway.

OK had 10 satellites with full strength signal

No wind warnings and no interference warnings

I have never done an IMU calibration

I'll do IMU cal then compass cal when I get it to the spot I am flying it again tomorrow

Thanks for all the comments!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason