DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amarand

Reactions
I received the Mavic Air and DJI (White) Goggles today.

After getting the RC and the aircraft paired, I updated all the firmware across the board, and took the Air outside. I was able to take off and land a few times, but stopped because it was going to be raining soon.

So I took the party back indoors, and decided to work on pairing the DJI Goggles with my Air.

Unfortunately, the process isn't well documented anywhere. Not in the Air manual, not in the Goggles manual.

I eventually connected my Goggles to my Mac after installing the DJI Assistant 2, and was able to upgrade the firmware.

So two questions:

1) What is the step-by-step procedure for pairing the DJI Goggles with the Mavic Air? Is it documented somewhere? (Protip: I called DJI and was led through a process that failed multiple times. He was even telling me to press buttons that didn't even exist. Eeek!)

2) Does the Mavic Air work wirelessly with the DJI Goggles, or do I need to use a cable? I felt like it was going to wireless, but I'm seeing conflicting messages in the message boards.

Thanks!

You do not need to pair the DJI Goggles and Mavic Air (since they cannot be connected wirelessly). Connect the micro USB cable that came with the DJI Goggles between the micro USB port on the side of the DJI Goggles and the bottom of the Mavic Air remote controller.

FYI, before connecting the DJI Goggles, you should start your Mavic Air, let it connect to DJI GO, and then wait until DJI GO shows it's ready to fly before connecting the DJI Goggles. If you skip that step, your Mavic Air will be restricted to a height of 30 meters (98 feet) and a distance of 50 meters (164 feet).

As I understood, the Cell phone with Go4 shouldn’t be connected to the remote, since the Googles and Apps can not work together.

Does the MA video camera shows immediately on the Gogles screen after connecting the USB, or need to change some parameters at the Google setting?

After activating the DJI Goggles like this, they will auto connect after you plug them into the bottom of the remote controller.

As I understood, the Cell phone with Go4 shouldn’t be connected to the remote, since the Googles and Apps can not work together.
Phone needs to be connected to unlock the distance / height restrictions.
Once you've connected with the phone you can plug the goggles in, which will cut the connection to the phone.

Reactions: Mike Shock
I don’t remember that I activated the googles, I just checked that they have the last few version.
I attaching two pictures that I tried to take with my cell phone.
I connected the cell phone with the app and the googles.
With this connectivity, the googles say “Disconnected”.
Just after I disconnected the micro USB from the remote control, I cot a green text that sad “ready to fly”.
But the screen was still in gray color, no drane camera.
Video from the HDMI is shown immediately.
Any idea how to re pop the activation window at the Dji Assistant 2?
I have the latest fw revision (ends 300).

Thanks in advance
Moshik

Attachments

• 79181FB1-E057-4D88-A864-872C0879C0DD.jpeg
    79181FB1-E057-4D88-A864-872C0879C0DD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 4A527E0C-264D-493A-A85D-F00EA88DEC73.jpeg
    4A527E0C-264D-493A-A85D-F00EA88DEC73.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
You have telemetry data but no picture, which is what happens if either one of the goggles or aircraft is not on latest firmware.

You have telemetry data but no picture, which is what happens if either one of the goggles or aircraft is not on latest firmware.

You are correct, after a long phone call with dji customer support, when their technical support asked me to sync the goggles and the MA again and again, when I know that the Googles should be connected with USB the the RC, he claims that he did this sync several times and this is how it should be done.
Evantually he asked me to re program the googles FW although the dji assitance 2 stated that I have the latest FW, I did the upgrade, and vwalla - the dron video from the camera is on the dji googles.

Thank you all.

Hope that DJI will issue a new FW when I can control the drone on both the App and by the Googles.

Hope that DJI will issue a new FW when I can control the drone on both the App and by the Googles.
That would be nice, but it won't be possible since the Mavic Air does not use OcuSync (like the Mavic Pro).

That's a little sad. I don't see myself using the goggles because:

1) There's no diopter correction in them - so they look terribly blurry.

and

2) I hate wires.

I read "pair" on the DJI web-site, and assumed they were wireless. Instant buyer's remorse.

I'm also a little disappointed, as a photographer, that they removed the waypoints option. It was actually listed on the DJI web-site as an available mode before I bought the Mavic Air, and then after I got it, that option was removed. So...no waypoints. Wish I'd waited for the Mavic Pro 2. :oops:

Then again, the Mavic Air is probably a good starter drone, right? Lots more automatic features. And I can always get the Mavic Pro 2 next year, after I've practiced with the Mavic Air.

Reactions: Amarand
Here are a few accessories available to fix that problem:

It's weird, because every pair of binoculars I've ever owned has come with a dipoter/focus adjustment built-in - even my cheap $50 pair has them. I think it sucks they don't include one. I mean, they got the interpupillary distance thing down, why not have a focus slider?

I suspect we might see a focus option in the next version of the DJI Goggles. DJI usually catches on to major oversights like this one when releasing new models.

I'm confused by the range limitation on DJI Googles RE + Air. Some people claim that there is a 50 m distance/30 m altitude limitation, while others claim that they have flown longer than that.

Is there any specific range limitation on Air+Googles RE?

You get that limitation only if you don't connect a mobile device to "unlock" the aircraft before connecting the goggles.

You get that limitation only if you don't connect a mobile device to "unlock" the aircraft before connecting the goggles.

Ok, I see. Some people claim that both can't be connected at the same time though. Do you disconnect the phone before connecting the goggles?

Some people claim that both can't be connected at the same time though.
That's correct. You cannot connect more than one device to the Mavic Air remote controller. If you're using a mobile device that has an HDMI output (like the Nvidia Shield K1), you could connect the DJI Goggles to that output and run DJI GO on your mobile device at the same time.

Do you disconnect the phone before connecting the goggles?
Yes. Start DJI GO with your mobile device connected and wait until DJI GO shows the Mavic Air is ready to go. Then, disconnect your mobile device and connect the DJI Goggles to the USB port on the bottom of the remote controller.

Last edited:
Some excellent help on connecting the Air with the goggles and I understand the limitations with the Air vs Pro when using the goggles, but my question is how would those of you who have flown the Air with the goggles describe your experience? Do the limitations take away too much of the fun? Is it still an awesome experience that you would highly recommend? I'm debating whether to get the Air with or without the goggles and any detailed thoughts/recommendations you can provide on your experience flying the Air with the goggles would be most appreciated... Especially whether the goggles are worth the extra $300 and if you would buy them again in hindsight. Thanks so much!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS