DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Robbyg

Reactions
After reading the super long thread on the Mavics camera issues (Watercolor thread) along with numerous others, I started to mention in them from the start that it was a Dynamic Range was the issue and that it was most likely not fixable, you just have to work within the limitations and compose shots that do not exceed them.
I was really hoping that someone like Tony Northrup would do a serious analysis of the camera but last night I found out that FPVGuy already did it in Nov 2016.

For those who have not watched this video I highly suggest that you do so. If your really impatient you can skip to the various results. Notably at the 16:20 mark. I really suggest that you don't skip through because you will miss his resolution tests and the methodology he used.

A big thanks to FPVGuy for all the hard work.

He also has a separate video with the P4P and Inspire2

His Dynamic Range Charts are very interesting.
6a00e553e37478883301b7c8afb510970b-pi

Click to enlarge

The leaves on those trees fall right into that zone of the Dynamic Range Flattening zone and that's why they look so mushed out if your not getting the right lighting.

Go to fpvguy.com for more info and jpegs of his test results.

Rob

Last edited:
Interesting test. Pretty much expected, and when looking at the flattened zone, combined with heavy compression, it explains a lot with regard to "watercolor". I've never had an issue under normal lighting.

Interesting test. Pretty much expected, and when looking at the flattened zone, combined with heavy compression, it explains a lot with regard to "watercolor". I've never had an issue under normal lighting.

Yes the camera works fine if you use ND filters and slide the shots into the butter zone. The only problem is that it requires breaking the shots up so that the lighting is good for what your shooting.

Rob

Yes the camera works fine if you use ND filters and slide the shots into the butter zone. The only problem is that it requires breaking the shots up so that the lighting is good for what your shooting.

Rob
Thanks for the heads up on the video; I will for sure count watching that as me having learned something today.

What a great vid! This guy has done some outstanding work.

Yes he put in lots of work and lots of money and time. The community really owes him a big thank you.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000