DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Status
Not open for further replies.
When? Wednesday, October 30th! Limited quantities available. Stay Tuned!
Now that it is real, Do you think it will be a game changer? Or just another DJI line up drone like the MA?
Could it out sell the Skydio hype this year? Or next? Your thoughts on the hype?

I don’t think it’ll surpass the new Skydio drone, which you can’t check out here,(Skydio 2: The drone you've been waiting for.) because the mavic mini won’t be autonomous, and the Skydio R2 is almost fully autonomous. I own a couple DJI drones, and have tried active track, but that is nowhere near the ability of the R2.

Comparing a Mavic Mini with the Skydio 2 is as comparing apples with pinapples. They don't compete against each other. The Mac Mini ist ultra liteweighted to avoid FAA or other authorities registration and may fit into your pocket while the Skydio is much bigger, more heavy, neads a quite big carrying case, registration and might be forbidden in many countries because of it's autonomous flight capabilities.

I don’t think it’ll surpass the new Skydio drone, which you can’t check out here,(Skydio 2: The drone you've been waiting for.) because the mavic mini won’t be autonomous, and the Skydio R2 is almost fully autonomous. I own a couple DJI drones, and have tried active track, but that is nowhere near the ability of the R2.
You underestimate the demand for a $399 DJI 4K drone with a 3 mile range which is FAA registration free, and fits in your pocket. Skydio 2 is an action drone, not a DJI replacement. S2 what the Karma should have been for GoPro. It also sells for THREE times the price of the Mini. It's a niche market drone for action drone selfies. Some may buy both, but neither will replace the other, and there are far more drone buyers with $399 than $1300. Lastly, the $100 fully refundable deposits for Skydio 2 units are not sales. They are merely indications of potential interest. If the early units do not deliver, all the other deposits could be requesting refunds, and Skydio could tank overnight, just like the Karma!

You underestimate the demand for a $399 DJI 4K drone with a 3 mile range which is FAA registration free, and fits in your pocket. Skydio 2 is an action drone, not a DJI replacement. S2 what the Karma should have been for GoPro. It also sells for THREE times the price of the Mini. It's a niche market drone for action drone selfies. Some may buy both, but neither will replace the other, and there are far more drone buyers with $399 than $1300. Lastly, the $100 fully refundable deposits for Skydio 2 units are not sales. They are merely indications of potential interest. If the early units do not deliver, all the other deposits could be requesting refunds, and Skydio could tank overnight, just like the Karma!

Oh yes, I completely understand the extremely high demand for a drone you don’t have to register, also the price is much, much better. I’m just saying that the Skydio drone is extremely advanced in obstacle sensing and “AI” technology compared to the DJI drones on the market. Like you said, Mavic Mini will be $399. This is a phenomenal price for a 4K drone, and this makes it a huge hit, and this brings me to my next point: You don’t have to register is with the FAA. I also agree that this feature is in high demand. DJI has made a number of models, but every one of them has to be registered. If this new drone is actually under the weight limit, then everybody should be converging on this quad! Also, this Skydio 2 drone could very well be a huge disappointment, much like the GoPro Karma, as you said. I agree as well that there are exponentially more buyers in the $399 range than the thousands.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Oh yes, I completely understand the extremely high demand for a drone you don’t have to register, also the price is much, much better. I’m just saying that the Skydio drone is extremely advanced in obstacle sensing and “AI” technology compared to the DJI drones on the market. Like you said, Mavic Mini will be $399. This is a phenomenal price for a 4K drone, and this makes it a huge hit, and this brings me to my next point: You don’t have to register is with the FAA. I also agree that this feature is in high demand. DJI has made a number of models, but every one of them has to be registered. If this new drone is actually under the weight limit, then everybody should be converging on this quad! Also, this Skydio 2 drone could very well be a huge disappointment, much like the GoPro Karma, as you said. I agree as well that there are exponentially more buyers in the $399 range than the thousands.
The biggest benefit of registration free Mavic Minis is their proliferation will likely eliminate the interrogation of everyone flying a drone by any LEO, demanding to see their "papers"/FAA pilot registration and drone with the ID number clearly visible! "Sorry, Officer. This drone is exempt!" Once the LEO has been burned a few times by an exempt Mavic Mini, all enthusiasm for drone enforcement will wane, and the public complaints to LEO's about drones flying will largely be ignored, and we can go back to flying responsibly in public without being harassed every time! Most will also not know the difference between a Mavic Mini and a Mavic 2. Hoping the Mini sells well! I'll buy one to first fly as a decoy, to see if anyone complains, and then after the investigating LEO's have left, just swap out aircraft! ;)

Once the LEO has been burned a few times by an exempt Mavic Mini, all enthusiasm for drone enforcement will wane, and the public complaints to LEO's about drones flying will largely be ignored, and we can go back to flying responsibly in public without being harassed every time!
A nice thought, but haven't most of the people dealing with police end up being screwed with because they're flying in places LEO claim you can't take off or land at?

Add the fact that some states and cities seem to think they have regulation over the sky above places like a park or similar has an effect on what actions LEO's take. Overreach by these other agencies is what's helping fuel this and until that stops, flying a Tello still might get you in hot water at some sites. And just because you don't have to register doesn't mean you don't have to follow FAA rules but I gather you know that. Unfortunately so many (less informed) people don't know jack about FAA rules so I expect to still see idiots flying in situations such as accident and fire scenes disrupting things. For instance parents purchase a cheap MM for their kids and never research where and when they can fly safely/wisely.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
A nice thought, but haven't most of the people dealing with police end up being screwed with because they're flying in places LEO claim you can't take off or land at?

Add the fact that some states and cities seem to think they have regulation over the sky above places like a park or similar has an effect on what actions LEO's take. Overreach by these other agencies is what's helping fuel this and until that stops, flying a Tello still might get you in hot water at some sites. And just because you don't have to register doesn't mean you don't have to follow FAA rules but I gather you know that. Unfortunately so many (less informed) people don't know jack about FAA rules so I expect to still see idiots flying in situations such as accident and fire scenes disrupting things. For instance parents purchase a cheap MM for their kids and never research where and when they can fly safely/wisely.
We can dream and hope, can't we? ;) I did say flying responsibly. It does not exempt you from any flying regulations, but it does exempt you from FAA authorized LEO "checking to make sure your papers are in order!" It's not a panacea. If anyone is annoyed by your flight, including any LEO, you will likely still be interrogated. Flying discreetly is still highly recommended. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Currently, the only DJI related drone that is registration free is the Tello, which has a very limited range. Mavic Mini range of 3.1 miles will change all that. The sub 250g weight is supposed to make the risk so small as to not require registration. The FAA could always also decide to lower the exempt weight limit. We shall see.

Reports are in! It appears that DJI has decided to use their Osmo Pocket gimbal design for the MM. This does make sense due to its size. Anyone here agree?

You can't compare the Tello to the MM. MM is $400, Tello can be had for around $80. For $80 the Tello does quite well.

You can't compare the Tello to the MM. MM is $400, Tello can be had for around $80. For $80 the Tello does quite well.
No and Huh?

No one is comparing them, but until the MM was announced, the Tello was the only DJI related sub 250g drone with DJI technology, which still remained exempt from pilot registration. Mavic Mini changes all that, and adds 4K and a 3 mile range for a few hundred dollars more than a 1080p Tello optimized with a Wifi extender!

Reactions: DFelix
One of the posts mentioned Tello. It's a totally different class of quad. You can't compare it to MM any more than comparing to S2 or M2 for that matter.

Reactions: Mavic 57
One of the posts mentioned Tello. It's a totally different class of quad. You can't compare it to MM any more than comparing to S2 or M2 for that matter.
I mentioned the Tello immediately above your post, so I replied. They are both sub 250g exempt from pilot registration, but one runs circles around the other!

493B7475-D7F7-40BA-BA70-59DDC4EEF302.jpeg
Well, It’s Official!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I just got the same email. If it makes it here in time for Christmas I think I know what my college aged kids are getting for Christmas.
talk about a sweet christmas present! Niice!

Some other pics are leaking now!
FFFE8A54-C124-4554-8D32-2724FEB0BB25.jpegA5E3F89A-E3F9-42E0-8D6C-D31523298296.jpegF2F61B05-4D8A-4995-B701-5ADBA6C29610.jpeg0795391D-1E55-4762-A50B-53CC51635D50.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought! Seems to really be a successor for my Dobby.

Here a similar photo as on quadrocopterguide.com for comparison:
IMG_20191024_192818.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member