DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned the Tello immediately above your post, so I replied. They are both sub 250g exempt from pilot registration, but one runs circles around the other!
Someone else mentioned the Tello way before my first post in this thread, but couldn't find the other post to quote it.

The thing is, if several people in a class about drones at a computer club are hesitant about buying one themselves, it would be tough to convince them to spend $400 when they can spend $80 on a reasonably stable and crash durable quad.

The MM may kill the spark though. That's a closer comparison in price and function.

Someone else mentioned the Tello way before my first post in this thread, but couldn't find the other post to quote it.

The thing is, if several people in a class about drones at a computer club are hesitant about buying one themselves, it would be tough to convince them to spend $400 when they can spend $80 on a reasonably stable and crash durable quad.

The MM may kill the spark though. That's a closer comparison in price and function.
They should learn computer programming on the user programmable Tello, and then upgrade to the Mavic Mini when they want more than the limited range and 1080p of the Tello. However, if computer programming is not of interest, save the Tello money and apply it towards buying the Mavic Mini instead! It's the perfect full featured starter drone!

OK, so I freely and humbly admit that I was with all of the naysayers a couple of months ago when we were calling BS on this Mavic Mini. Looks like I'm going to have to find a crow to have for dinner - pity I'm not allowed to buy a gun to shoot it with - LOL.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The Tello doesn't come with a controller and whether or not people like operating from a phone only, I don't. Mine is laggy, the range sucks, & its flight time is fairly short. I bought the Tello to play combat with other friends. It is a tough little dude though and I have a blast with it indoors but mostly it's flown visually because the video lags so much. Oh, I care less about, and don't want anything to do with programming.

If this Mavic Mini comes out like what is speculated, it seems to be an improvement over the Spark which I consider less of a toy. I'll wait to see what we really get and am anxious to see how it works in breezy conditions.

The Tello doesn't come with a controller and whether or not people like operating from a phone only, I don't. Mine is laggy, the range sucks, & its flight time is fairly short. I bought the Tello to play combat with other friends. It is a tough little dude though and I have a blast with it indoors but mostly it's flown visually because the video lags so much. Oh, I care less about, and don't want anything to do with programming.

If this Mavic Mini comes out like what is speculated, it seems to be an improvement over the Spark which I consider less of a toy. I'll wait to see what we really get and am anxious to see how it works in breezy conditions.
$30-50 compatible controllers are sold for use with the Tello, as well as wifi extenders to double the range, and extra batteries and a multicharger to extend the flight time. However, by then, you are out $175 with at most a 300m range and only 1080p video. The similarly pilot registration free Mavic Mini with 4K, a 3 mile range, and claimed 18 minute flight time at $399 will be a steal, by comparison!

Last edited:
$30-50 compatible controllers are sold for use with the Tello, as well as wifi extenders to double the range, and extra batteries and a multicharger to extend the flight time. However, by then, you are out $175 with at most a 300m range and only 1080p video. The similarly pilot registration free Mavic Mini with 4K, a 3 mile range, and claimed 18 minute flight time at $399 will be a steal, by comparison!
I totally agree. The Tello at a minimum should have had a DJI controller. The after market gaming controller is barely OK but wasn't introduced until after the Tello was released. I mean I got one finely but overall I was looking more towards something similar to a Spark just smaller sized. If the mini pans out as shown, seems like a great deal and better than the Spark. Probably a fast seller for Christmas.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Looks like the 4K spec isn't happening, the range is now 4 km, no Occusync, no OA, but the flight time is now up to 30 minutes, and it will record 2.7K. (Updated to include the Best Buy leaked specs in post #52 below)

Last edited:
Looks like the 4K spec isn't happening, but the flight time is now up to 30 minutes.
It will be interesting to see what the true specs are.
You may have noticed that @Aerial-Pixel posted a supposed speculated spec sheet here. Fly as You Are October 30
I believe we will just have to wait and see. The specs he has provided seem to be a bit extreme and we can only hope that it is true of what a DJI drone can do for the $! Who knows, maybe there will be 2 Mavic Mini’s to be released with different specs! Lol. Mavic Mini Pro and Advanced? We haven't seen the MMP yet, Just the Advanced and it's base price. Just a speculated theory!:p

Last edited:
yea that spec sheet is creatively faked. We know it won't have 4K. Based on the gimbal comparison i thought perhaps there MIGHT be 2 different models however i don't think thats realistic.
Gimbal comparison and other surprises I haven't seen elsewhere:

Reactions: Drone Master
yea that spec sheet is creatively faked. We know it won't have 4K. Based on the gimbal comparison i thought perhaps there MIGHT be 2 different models however i don't think thats realistic.
Good find! Best Buy is a reliable source. No OA, 2.7k instead of 4K, 4km range on some form of WiFi (not Occusync), 30 minute flight time. Price now somewhere between $399-$449.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Agreed! To have the features and specs that are listed there would obviously exceed the price point of $399.00 and would be more like $599.00 based on the technology and innovation cost.

You know, I wonder for that picture of the mm being held in the palm of the unknown persons hand, do you think whoever leaked that photo, shopped around for hand model who had the largest hands possible in order to make it look smaller? If so then that person deserves a raise (not the hand model but the person who found the hand model).?

• Haha
Just curious, when DJI announce on their site officially. How long until this is in Best buy store for local pickup / buy?

I ask because I always buy from DJI for factory warranty and instore geek squad warranty without having to deal with DJI.99% of the time I can walk in and exchange for a working model within a hour.

I have a Skydio 2 scheduled for delivery in November. (I have Mavic 2 Pro and other DJI Drones at this time and I'm a professional photographer). I understand from Skydio support staff that it's have issues in trying to fly inside of a building/home, aside from something like a large building/warehouse. Perhaps later in the development that'll be addressed. They advise not flying it inside of a home. I'm not even going to TRY that. I am impressed with their Never CRASH INTO SOMETHING guarantee when used in accordance with their advisories and instructions. I'm not going to press my luck (like some might do) and TRY and crash it. I also appreciate the fact that it's MADE IN AMERICA. I wish DJI would make their stuff here for our market.

I am not getting the Skydio to replace a DJI drone. I OCD about technology (yes I bought a Galaxy Fold and love it). I'll use it to fly in tight places outdoors where vegetation would prohibit that in some of my straight-on front shots of real estate here in CT. I don't press my luck. I've had too much experience with Drone Magnets (trees)

Hey cousin, I also have a Mavic 2 Pro, have pre ordered the Skydio AND have the Galaxy Fold!!! Hahahaha!

Just curious, when DJI announce on their site officially. How long until this is in Best buy store for local pickup / buy?

I ask because I always buy from DJI for factory warranty and instore geek squad warranty without having to deal with DJI.99% of the time I can walk in and exchange for a working model within a hour.
In my experience, usually takes them about a week or 2. I tried to buy the Mavic Air from Best Buy when it was announced and it was a while. And it took months for them to get a display model in store. At least in my area.

You know, I wonder for that picture of the mm being held in the palm of the unknown persons hand, do you think whoever leaked that photo, shopped around for hand model who had the largest hands possible in order to make it look smaller? If so then that person deserves a raise (not the hand model but the person who found the hand model).?
Kawhi Leonard has the biggest hands I've ever seen. And I mean nothing racist by this comment by any means, but with the pic probably being taken in China, aren't Asians generally biologically smaller?

So, this is the Flymore kit. Those prop guards look crazy!
AB4DBFE3-C553-4892-AE7A-CF0C90D6EF1B.jpeg

How long after the product announcement usually before they arrive at stores? I remember with DJI it was within a week?

Thanks for posting. So it’s probably safe to say that the $399 entry price does not include the remote a la Spark’s entry point. You’re right those prop guards or whatever they are look crazy!!!
Spec leaks already confirmed remote included on base model.

Spec leaks already confirmed remote included on base model.
Ah, awesome. I sure hope so! I am however prepared for it to be more than $399. I know things have been “leaked,” but I just remember everyone saying a certain price for Mavic Air before launch and it came like $100-$200 more than what we thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078