DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

Course Lock is advertised on their site so I am surprised it is not already available.

Im just trying to make a list of things that were on the Mavic 1 but seem to be missing (so far) on the initial Mavic 2 release.

It's also missing Compass #2

I would like to think that Compass #1 has been improved, and #2 is just not needed. (Hmmm)

A "workaround" for portrait mode can be found on the FAQ "Gimbal" section:

Does the Mavic 2's gimbal support Portrait Mode?
No, but a portrait can be captured by using Vert under Pano mode in the app.

I would like to think that Compass #1 has been improved, and #2 is just not needed. (Hmmm)

But it has two IMUs, instead of just one.

That's not really a missing "feature" though as it still works as before.
The Air iirc has 1 compass. Debatable whether 2 are worth it in such a small device as chances are anything affecting one will also affect the other.

A poor one though, you'll need 3 pano "shots" or more to get a standard shot so may as well do it manually. Plus one of the time times i tried the pano mode it always seemed to put the horizon centre before taking it.

From that list I find Course Lock the biggest “miss” that may change. But the “won’t ever change” item I’ll surely miss most is Portrait Mode. That’s something I’ve been using more and more for photo and filming.

Yeah we can crop and all that but it’s not the same, producing an image is rather complex and I find that composition and framing is better done from the start, especially if I’m filming with a drone and it’s moving around in the air.

So it does make a difference and even more so if you deal with social media and mobile production, as that’s the main format for the most important ones.

Just found out that there is a mode of tap fly which is basically the same as course lock

Speculation as to why it was released with so many features missing: Spy vs. Spy.

The hacker community has defeated DJI at every turn, breaking the chains DJI puts in the software. They don't like it.

By limiting important features in the first few releases, they give the hackers a chance to do some QA on the code for them, break it, they can close those exploits, and then in practice everyone will update to the more secure release(s) in the future to get basic functionality, like Course Lock. Or Precision Landing. Etc.

We don't know if this is the case, but it's **** suspicious to me how much really basic, well-developed features were left out, on the flagship product.

It's pointless for them to do that. The hackers will only release a hack when DJI has releases a reasonably complete version of the firmware. You may get a notice in a couple of weeks or months that a group has hacked it and even a demo video but the actual hacking software will not be released publicly until DJI commits to a proper firmware version. This is how it has always been done with every product hack I have seen.

Rob

Phone on the side?! Thats not a use for portrait mode.

Portrait is a very good way of creating a feeling of depth and height. Handy for narrow canyons, vertical cliffs and so on. Cropping is nowhere near as useful as actually framing it correctly (and obviously loses detail).
As for panoramas, you can still "do it" but it'll now take twice the number of images (previously 1 row now requires 2), twice the time taken and will result in more wasted space with the cropping needed as its going to be nightmare to get the horizon the same on all shots.
I think you misunderstood. I'm talking about the mention of portrait being the defacto standard for soc med apps on smartphones. Where in fact landscape is supported by just turning a phone on its side.

It's no big deal.

Just found out that there is a mode of tap fly which is basically the same as course lock

Except its now as you have to tap to fly and keep flying. Course lock you can stop etc and just control where/when you want to head in that direction with the joystick.
Its very different to tap to fly.
The manual also tells you how to use course lock so i guess it got left out.

Mavic Pro had F:2.2 lens whereas M2z has only a 2.8 lens giving up over a half stop of light and giving a lens that is significantly more impacted by diffraction effects at similar focal length and very much more so when zoomed to F:3.6. The reduced light capture of the slower lens results in a lower signal to noise ratio at the sensor and a risk of more noise. The larger M2 Pro sensor fares much better.

The latest Go 4 release no longer claims support for my LG V20. That might be a plus since it never worked reliably.

Most recent Go 4 versions require the ability to make and manage cell calls. This requirement came out before the M2 release but that and its need to access your contacts list are contendors for what feature the software most needs to lose.

Most recent Go 4 versions require the ability to make and manage cell calls. This requirement came out before the M2 release but that and its need to access your contacts list are contendors for what feature the software most needs to lose.

I revoked that permission after install. Everything still seems to work. Its trivial (on android) to remove permissions you dont like the look of.

Revoking permissions causes my Go 4 to fail to open. The only thing it does is pop a message to allow the app to make and manage calls when it launches and then immediately closes if I deny access. I just tried it again.

My solution has been to get a phone without a SIM card and completely devoid of contacts. I just keep that device permanently in airplane mode with no saved WiFi networks after installing the Go 4 app. I have no maps capability but then I only fly LOS.

A better option would be to create a mavic "user".
On that account have nothing except the apps needed (Go4, UAV forecast) etc. Keep contacts empty.

Then you dont lose out on anything.

I used to do that on my Nexus 7 because it meant no extra crap or interruptions when flying.

It's no loss. The handset I bought to fly my Mavic was on their official approved list for Go 4 but it crashed at least once on every flight over a few minutes. It was only removed from the official approved list with the very latest Go 4 update which I have never installed.

I cleared off an older phone that had never been on the approved list but it had always worked flawlessly when I first got my Mavic in Feb 2017, and pressed it into service. Adding a user account is just another stress on my newer handset that now has a number of apps that take resources. I have a clean phone for flying. If I might need offline maps, I can temporarily connect to my data capable phone with the simless handset without exposing any personal information.

I never really saw the point of maps. Radar display is far far more useful to actually flying and orientating.

I hope they consider including ATTI mode. I miss that, provided on all Phantoms.

As with the original MP, there is no technical reason for them not to enable it, and both the Mavic and the Mavic 2 fly just fine in ATTI mode if you enable the mode switch. However, the fact that the firmware never included the option by default on the Mavic doesn't seem very encouraging for the Mavic 2.

Why would they want to eliminate any Phantom sales by including that?

Also, imagine how people would crash it in ATTI mode. Refresh would be overrun!

Why would they want to eliminate any Phantom sales by including that?

Also, imagine how people would crash it in ATTI mode. Refresh would be overrun!

Maybe so - but they have kept it on the Phantom range, and I've never seen a report of a crashed Phantom due to user-selected ATTI mode. And it seems like a strangely esoteric feature to keep purely as a selling point for Phantoms.

Im just trying to make a list of things that were on the Mavic 1 but seem to be missing (so far) on the initial Mavic 2 release.

So far i think its:-

• No portrait mode. This is permanent and cant be fixed due to hardware limitations so workarounds needed
  • No precision Landing - I guess a firmware update to add this as all the sensors and more are there. Although, im not sure if it does it "by default" now or not
  • No D-Cinelike/Colour profiles - I guess a firmware update could add these
  • No Cinema 4k - Maybe firmware fix?
  • No fixed wing mode - Not a big issue for most i don't think
  • Loads of intelligent modes missing:-
    • Any Gesture Mode
    • Course Lock
    • Terrain Following
    • Home Lock
    • Follow Me
  • No direct control from mobile device
  • No customisable battery discharge profile. Its fixed on 10 days and cant be changed

Other things, we really need the engineers to release a LUT. Only they know the gamma profile and other details to actually produce one. No 3rd party has access to those details.

Anything else the old drone has but the new doesn't? To be fair, most of it looks firmware fixable.

Updated 1/9/2018
You might want to add Waypoints to your list.

Thanks, and I hope that DJI adds these lost features, because if they don’t we’ve all wasted a lot of money on something that should of been there from day one!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters