DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Dropped out of sky!

sorry,just giving my opinion,it had to lose power according to flight log,it just stopped

And if I had a $130 battery laying somewhere I'd be there all night till I found it

Will someone look at the stick movements in the last 2 or 3 seconds and see if they look like a possible cause of the problem? Thanks

the only warnings was the wind was too strong to be flying and the attitude of mavic was too steep-because of the high wind

Hi all....

Sorry that my first post is a question but I’m pretty gutted!

I’ve just come back from flying my drone which literally fell out the sky.

The controller suddenly for no reason said no signal and then I found it in pieces on the floor.

There was no obstacles in the way whatsoever and only a couple of hundred feet away and a hundred odd feet high.

Surely this must be some sort of fault with the DJI Mavic 2 software or hardware.

All updates were installed a few flights ago.

What can I do guys? This is an expensive, new but if kit that’s smashed in pieces through no fault of my own

Reading this stuff gives me panic attacks. There are times when it's almost unavoidable to fly over people or roads etc. Should our drone 'fall out of the sky' at a time like that (unlucky I know but it potentially could happen) and hit a person and severely injure them, or worse kill them, we would be in major do do. Or should it fall out of the sky and hit a car causing a serious accident... same result. So, my question is, what are the chances of a catastrophic failure whilst flying? Does it happen very often or am I concerned about an improbable and exceptional circumstance?

Please put my mind at ease :)

Will someone look at the stick movements in the last 2 or 3 seconds and see if they look like a possible cause of the problem? Thanks

The failure immediately followed a transition from full left aileron to centered. The roll was -25°, and would have rapidly changed to around -6°, but it's not clear that this was a factor in what happened.

Graph1.png

Reactions: Adaml
The failure immediately followed a transition from full left aileron to centered. The roll was -25°, and would have rapidly changed to around -6°, but it's not clear that this was a factor in what happened.

View attachment 49103
I wonder if that could have been enough to somehow torque the "fuselage" and pop the battery out?

Reading this stuff gives me panic attacks. There are times when it's almost unavoidable to fly over people or roads etc. Should our drone 'fall out of the sky' at a time like that (unlucky I know but it potentially could happen) and hit a person and severely injure them, or worse kill them, we would be in major do do. Or should it fall out of the sky and hit a car causing a serious accident... same result. So, my question is, what are the chances of a catastrophic failure whilst flying? Does it happen very often or am I concerned about an improbable and exceptional circumstance?

Please put my mind at ease :)

Poll: Has your Mavic fallen from the sky for unknown reasons?

Has your Mavic 2 fallen from the sky?

Thanks for that Thunderdrones. I've seen that thread but there are only 11 respondents. Hardly enough to form an opinion, and if you take the failure here into consideration the failure rate is almost 10%.
I guess my question was aimed at ALL drone pilots with years of experience. There must have been in excess of a couple of hundred thousand flights recorded by your members and I guess I was appealing to them all.
The consequences of something like the OP related here (should an injury or death have occurred) are not even worth thinking about. By the time the courts had finished with us we'd be left living under a tree in the bush (or in prison).
Is anyone here insured against 3rd party injury or damage. Could we get such a policy?

Thanks for that Thunderdrones. I've seen that thread but there are only 11 respondents. Hardly enough to form an opinion, and if you take the failure here into consideration the failure rate is almost 10%.
I guess my question was aimed at ALL drone pilots with years of experience. There must have been in excess of a couple of hundred thousand flights recorded by your members and I guess I was appealing to them all.
The consequences of something like the OP related here (should an injury or death have occurred) are not even worth thinking about. By the time the courts had finished with us we'd be left living under a tree in the bush (or in prison).
Is anyone here insured against 3rd party injury or damage. Could we get such a policy?

Actually 2 different threads. The first is for the Mavic Pro. Second with M2.

Mavic fell.jpg

Reactions: noosaguy

How many of the 10% whose bird 'fell out of the sky' provided flight logs? I think last I looked it was one. Often I see "Drone ____ ____ ___ for no reason" and the flight logs are never provided. I think when logs are provided pilot error is to blame about 99% of the time.
I am not saying that is the case here.

How many of the 10% whose bird 'fell out of the sky' provided flight logs? I think last I looked it was one. Often I see "Drone ____ ____ ___ for no reason" and the flight logs are never provided. I think when logs are provided pilot error is to blame about 99% of the time.
I am not saying that is the case here.

Interesting answer, this is probably a stupid question but what kind of manoeuvres could an operator make that would result in the drone 'falling out of the sky'?

Is this one of those cases where the pilot has to file an accident report? The info on the drone zone site for section 107 is written poorly in that it may imply either yes or no because it says a report has to be made if:

“Damage to any property, other than the small unmanned aircraft, unless one of the following conditions is satisfied:
-The cost of repair (including materials and labor) does not exceed $500; or
-The fair market value of the property does not exceed $500 in the event of total loss.”

Is it only pertaining to other property (which I assume is a concrete sidewalk), or the UAS since it costs over $500 and may be totalled (sorry to put it here that way, Adaml, I was just assuming it for my question.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Adaml
Thank you ALL for taking your time to reply to my thread...
Im going to email DJI and see if its covered by warranty as when i got the receipt out its not even three weeks old!

Im very considerate when using my drones I check and double check all its ok before flights, I use them very responsible and honestly do consider this nothing to do with me but a fault on DJI's behalf :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe, if it wasnt latched in all the way in the first place. But the OP said it was and he double checked it.
I saw that too. I noticed on the map his stick positions in the last couple of seconds were full bore toward each other. That seems like a strange attitude to put them in. It seems like conflicting positions to me for what little I know about it. Thanks.

Reactions: Former Member
Interesting answer, this is probably a stupid question but what kind of manoeuvres could an operator make that would result in the drone 'falling out of the sky'?

I have seen threads where "drone fell out of the sky" ended up with the logs proving -

Ran into a tree
Ran into the side of a mountain
Dunked it in the water

All of these were proven pilot error and started with 'drone fell out of the sky for no reason' :oops: . Again not saying this is the case here. If this is a legit DFOOTSFNR then it is the second one I am aware of that SAR104 had no good answer for.

I have seen threads where "drone fell out of the sky" ended up with the logs proving -

Ran into a tree
Dunked it in the water

All of these were proven pilot error and started with 'drone fell out of the sky for no reason' :oops: . Again not saying this is the case here. If this is a legit DFOOTSFNR then it is the second one I am aware of that SAR104 had no good answer for.
But THE WORST of all is that “motor kill maneuver”.
Mostly done by mistake.........

Ran into a tree
Dunked it in the water

There have been plenty of incidents with no definite answer - either battery disconnects or FC crashes. With previous models the battery disconnects seemed more common, and could be positively identified if the aircraft DAT file was available. But we can't read the M2 DATs and, in addition, there have been several apparent M2 cases of the FC just stopping, so it's going to be one of those but hard to say which.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78