DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks Kirah, I looked at that option but I'm more interested in something that will generate the graph on its own. Especially one that adds flags at key points. Perhaps something like extracted black box data. Whatever it it, its descriptive right down to the second.
Umm doing graphs what CsvView does. Selecting the relevant data, analysing and adding flags you'll always have to do yourself, no software will magically tell you what happened on its own...

There are folks in all walks of life who want to transfer their ills (lack of money, poor decision making, lost drones, etc) to someone else and refuse to take full or at least partial ownership of their life problems. The classic "it's not my fault". This is just one example. The OP just doesn't get it. Nor will he.

Why are you mad at anyone but yourself? You should be landing at 30%, not canceling a return to home and flying further away.

Does the log show actually how many times he attempted to cancel rth? At first he said 100 times, then 20-30. I have a feeling that in his panic, he it was asking if he wanted to cancel, and he only saw the word "cancel" and clicked it, effectively canceling the cancel.

I did this once and laughed at myself, but it is an unfortunate wording issue in the UI. If you're "cancelling a cancel" the option should probably be yes or no. Just so do peopdon't click cancel, hoping to cancel rth.

I tried changing my username because of a typo...didn't happen.

Does the log show actually how many times he attempted to cancel rth? At first he said 100 times, then 20-30. I have a feeling that in his panic, he it was asking if he wanted to cancel, and he only saw the word "cancel" and clicked it, effectively canceling the cancel.

I did this once and laughed at myself, but it is an unfortunate wording issue in the UI. If you're "cancelling a cancel" the option should probably be yes or no. Just so do peopdon't click cancel, hoping to cancel rth.

According to the log there were just two failed attempts to cancel autolanding after the autolanding announcement at 915 s, made at 1014.0 s and 1015.7 s.

When my Mavic crashed and burned (Software update issue) I sent in the flight log and it was replaced right away, no hassle. DJI was very responsive. In my experience, I don't think they shy away from responsibly if it's on them.

Reactions: sar104
Me either since you can do stuff that isn't by the book in safe conditions when you know what you're doing. But in this case he clearly does NOT know what he's doing nor wants to learn.

Hate to say it, but just as he wished us ill “hope you taste what I did” (or whatever he said,) I hope he NEVER finds his drone and can’t afford to buy another. It would be best for all.

Score: Theory = 1, "the Scientist" = 0
You are angry because DJI will not be sucked in to you 'experiments'. As you stated earlier you like to prove people wrong and this thread has certainly reinforced that attitude. DJI may have some shortcomings when it comes to customer service but they are not 'stoopid'... Your experiment failed, accept it and move on.

Reactions: Kilrah
While this thread has been entertaining, I was a little concerned that in this case the Critical Low auto landing triggered at 20%, when the alarm set point is 10%. I went and re-reviewed the manual, and it does not say that the auto landing occurs at 10%, it says "The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from it's current altitude."

The battery remaining percentage estimate is just that - an estimate. In many of these cases the estimate can drop dramatically from one second to the next, due to any number of factors (e.g. temperature, current draw from the motors, whatever). While DJI's built-in low battery thresholds may seem conservative, they are undoubtedly based on many hours of real-world flight experience and should always be taken seriously. When the human pilot thinks he knows better than all the combined design experience that is baked into the DJI firmware is where the trouble begins.

That said, commercial airline pilots train using realistic simulators under all sorts of failure and emergency conditions - a type of training which drone pilots only acquire through bitter experience. If you've never experienced a low-battery forced landing, or a loss of signal, or dropping into ATTI mode, or any number of other boundary conditions, it's easy to panic and lose your drone. This thread has inspired me to take my MPP out into a big empty field and actually run the battery down under safe conditions so that I can experience firsthand what that's like and what sort of control I can expect so that when it happens for real maybe I won't panic so much. :D

Here a solution if you want to fly more buy more battery packs and recharge them to 100%. I hate to say it but let's say your phone battery was 5% and you had an emergency and the phone decided to die.dont bash dji for user stupidity. When I had a bad firmware update that caused my phantom Drone to hit the house they replaced it. I had flight logs and full battery.

I never have issue of my vehicle because the accuracy of indication how far I can travel with my fuel. My car can travel 550 km and I always refuel when the car told me I can only run 30 km which is about 5% of my fuel. I trust DJI like my car. I plan to return home at 20% which is about 4.44 minute fly time but it chose to auto land.
So tell me how many times have you run out of gas? I never have and I'm now 67 times around the sun and drive about 20,000 miles a year, sometimes much more. I am always in the process of returning to home when the battery hits 30% so I have lots left for landing, even in bad conditions. In my country, in the wintertime, I fill my gas tank most times when the gas gage hits 1/2. Never let it get below 25%. On my MP, I will bring it home and let it hover until <10% to allow recalibration of batteries. Flying with less is asking for trouble and forces you into a situation where you may have to make "panic" decisions, which most people don't do well. Lessons are to be learned for sure but keep moving forward.

Average is just that, an average, it is not 100 percent, each time you do something it changes a bit and you get your average, that does not mean it will be exact every time

I am responding to post 53 of approximately 130 post on this thread, it may be covered in another response.

An average is composed of high numbers and low numbers. You needed for the power consumption to be average or below average. You rolled the dice and lost.

I am a newbie but my age has given me a lot of exposure to averages in a LOT of hobbies and jobs. Some have been to error is to loose your life (Navy Submarines, scuba diving, sky diving and car/motorcycle road racing. Others to error is not life threatening, just loss of something that can be replaced. In the Navy it was train and drill, repeat, repeat, repeat until rote takes over.

With everything it is training, training training. With any luck, when something goes wrong that you haven't trained for you can recover. Your luck ran out.

Larry

Reactions: Campagnard
It is oddly similar to that thread ~in that, the craft in both threads did EXACTLY what it's supposed to do (perfectly so). Both users canceled RTH, then blamed DJI and closed their minds to all advice given. Set your watch ~we should see this again in about a month...
Maybe sooner this seems to be a troll

Thanks - I thought that it was quite definitive and conclusive but, as you probably noticed, the OP completely ignored it.

Those data were taken from the .txt flight log posted in #27, and converted using TXTlogToCSVtool.exe. That conversion includes far more data than available from either PhantomHelp or AirData .csv conversions. The data were then imported into a data analysis program (Wavemetrics Igor Pro) which is what I use to process and visualize the telemetry. I added the annotations and pointers manually, which is very simple using Igor Pro's annotation tools. The whole process is very fast once you are familiar with the data file structure and know what you are looking for.

I'm in the process of writing a short guide on .txt and .DAT data analysis since a few users here and on PP have expressed interest. It's turning out not so short but I hope to have it in a useful form fairly soon.
I'm interested

I'm well feed. By the way thanks everyone for the patience. One day I would do the experiment by flying at the same height and same distance and make it back home at 20% battery. I doubt DJI dare to do that even I request so because their calculations are wrong wrong. I am studying science unless you prove by real scenario. Don't tell me theory I don't really trust that.
:(:D:eek: Just don't know how to answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes