DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro: why DJI doesn't fix this huge flickering/compression problem?

Q4: I understand that 25 fps and 45 Mbit (2,7K) pr seconds = 1,8 Mbit pr. frame and that this would change if you set 50 fps (=0,9 Mbit pr frame). But does it matter if each frame is shot with eg. 1/60s or 1/200s? Obviously the 1/200 frames will be "clearer" / less blurry, but are there other reasons not to use high frame rates?

Thanks =)

It would not be smooth...a problem that Mavic footage already has on its own! I would decide before you shoot what's going to be the final framerate and stick with the classic/film/smooth relationship between fps and shutter speed to have the best looking and smoother footage.

Beside that, there's no reason on this world why our eyes should hurt watching something that is not shot in cinematic mode and rate :-D (unless is a documentary or evening news!)

Jokes aside, is smoother and less jittery, do your tests and you'll see it.

Ive done a quick test with the difference settings for sharpness (-1, 0, 1) and I must say that the way I see it, +1 is a must for maintaining details in low light areas like the trees in my example. Maybe setting 0 (or -1) is better for bright days.

What do you think? Are there other reasons why the video quality in my test video is so bad? Ive circled in red a couple of small trees where you clearly can see detail at setting +1 for sharpness, and disappears with settings 0 or less.

(Beware, this is a somewhat dark and "grey" day. I have paid no attention to cinematography or framing etc. This is a test video.)

Video:

Hi...sadly there's no way of getting fine details with the Mavic (trees/foliage in shadow areas are difficult for any sensor though, like sea/waves and any varied changing image)...both the sensor size and low light entering and the heavily limited bandwidth not fully available at low resolutions...is a compromise.

In post you have to decide what to 'hide' and what to show..if you like kinda of HDR'ish videos with details everywhere, is not the Mavic the good one :)

Hehe right you are.. But do you agree that with the setting +1 for sharpness, you truly get more details in the low light areas? Or am I misinterpreting this and it just "looks" better without necessarily being better? Is it true information I am seeing with +1 that dissappears with 0 or -1, or is it just artificial detail (in lack of a better word)?

I am curios if the Mavic pro 2 is much better in this regard, anyone with knowledge about this?

I am also thinking that since the mavic pro gives such poor results in the dark areas as far as image quality goes, maybe over exposing a bit (0,5 EV?) will give a better result? At least as longs as you dont get a blown out sky...

Okay, so I've got a similar problem, but the footage is already shot (2-years ago) and there's no chance of going back and doing re-shoots. I stepped into the editor's shoes on a film this past spring, and now we're moving into authoring the Blu Ray release. I have four aerial drone shots that are doing exactly what's been described in this thread. I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2018 (as 2019 still has major issues!). I export my h.264 file of the film at a high bit rate (about 35) and import it into the authoring software. After the disk is transcoded, the trees, grass, bushes all through these four drone shots are unwatchable... quite possibly enough to cause an epileptic seizure. The original person who started this thread had the luxury of experimentation until the problem was resolved. I do not. I inherited this issue, and now I need help solving it. Any and all suggestions, input, advice, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

Hello guys.

Well we're in late 2019 and I just bought a Mavic Pro Platinum. And I can say that some of the shots disappointed me. Of course it was far better than my old Phantom 3 but the dark areas of my footage were grainy. Fast (on a low altitude) camera movements made some ugly things in the shadows(the very detailed sand on the beach).

On the other hand, some of my shots (a little bit over-exposed) were excellent.

This is when I started to find forums like this one and see that everybody have the same issue.

As a first try ith this drone, I was in D-Log / 0-0-0 / 100 ISO / 4K30.

At first I read that the best setting is to have your sharpness to +1. But now it seems that your sharpness should be at -1 (or even -2), to reduce noise in the shadows, then add sharpness in post.

But I also hear people saying that D-Log increases noise (and shouldn't be used at all), and using D-Cinelike is better. Is it true ?

Should I consider going for -1 -1 -1 with D-Cinelike (with a little bit of over-exposition ?) ? Or should I stay with my D-Log. Everybody is saying different things.

Las but not least, the 4k footage has more noise than the 2.7k, everybody is thinking the same thing on that point.

Although I'm actually going to test myself every conbination , and give you my results. Hope I'm gonna find my way.

So my question is, does someone have finally find good settings for the Mavic Pro ? If so, what are they ? -1 ? +1 ? D-Log ? D-Cinelike ? 2.7k ? 24pfs ?

Sorry for my poor english :)

And how is Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro in this matter? Anybody experience the same problem - flickering, pulsing long GOP? All pixel peepers are welcomed to answer ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60