DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MavicMini2Rookie

Reactions
Good day to all:
I am brand new to the drone culture, I have been messing with technology all my life, retired as a DoD senior systems administrator for the ROTC command in Fort Knox. I know nothing about drones but have a huge desire to learn. I have just received my Mavic Mini 2, read all the documentation, charge all the batteries, downloaded all the firewire updates current version is ver: 01.4000, I hope this is the fix for the "Battery AutoDischare" issue that I have been reading about.

So, my purpose here is to meet other drone pilots (I guess that is what we call ourselfs). I am taking this Drone for the first flight today 20 March 2022, I hope I don't break it:). So, I would love tp post my questions here when they arise, also meet some other pilots, especially around the Pensacola area. I want to learn all the:
1. Do's & don'ts
2. Tip's & tricks
3. Any incite full help will be greatly appreciated.

For the admin's that follow and control the forums, I ask that if I break any rules, please let me know and I will fix it. I am grateful to find out that there seems to be a great following, much more than I realized. Till then I say goodbye and, Salute!

To keep within the guidelines read the whole guideline page.
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. 👍

You did not mention anything about obtaining the TRUST Certificate which you will need in order to fly legally...it is a very easy free test ...there are a lot of youtube videos about flying drones and all the regulations for recreationally flying are here

Best of luck ...fly safely and have fun

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum pilot! As mentioned above, take your TRUST test first. Learn the differences between a 'recreational pilot' and a 'commercial pilot' . . . this can save you from hefty FAA fines. Good luck and happy flying (watch the wind)!

Good opening post, welcome.
One minor point the drone is actually a "Mini 2" not a Mavic Mini 2, the Mavic Mini was the first version of this size of drone but DJI chose to drop the "Mavic" bit for the Mini 2 and SE.

Do's,
Read the manual carefully, for a newbie I think it is either poorly written or, perhaps, poorly translated.
As a 'seasoned' pilot I can, in most instances, 'get their meaning'/understand-it but, as a newbie, I found there were words and phrases that I thought I understood but that, with hindsight, I now realise I did not understand correctly. Some of my misunderstandings were in fairly crucial areas.
If anything seems oddly worded to you read the section again and perhaps ask, here, for clarification. It's better to ask than to gather the wrong impression.

Fly low and slow at first, in wide open areas well away from trees, buildings and people. You can do fancier stuff as your familiarity with the drone and piloting skills increase.

One area I do suggest you conscientiously work through is the RTH section, experiment with them and see what the drone actually does in the various RTH modes. It is far, far better to encounter an RTH behaviour in an experiment than it is to encounter ot for the first time in a real life situation when it may be needed and where unexpected behavaiour could cause you 'worry'.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Good day to all:
I am brand new to the drone culture, I have been messing with technology all my life, retired as a DoD senior systems administrator for the ROTC command in Fort Knox. I know nothing about drones but have a huge desire to learn. I have just received my Mavic Mini 2, read all the documentation, charge all the batteries, downloaded all the firewire updates current version is ver: 01.4000, I hope this is the fix for the "Battery AutoDischare" issue that I have been reading about.

So, my purpose here is to meet other drone pilots (I guess that is what we call ourselfs). I am taking this Drone for the first flight today 20 March 2022, I hope I don't break it:). So, I would love tp post my questions here when they arise, also meet some other pilots, especially around the Pensacola area. I want to learn all the:
1. Do's & don'ts
2. Tip's & tricks

For the admin's that follow and control the forums, I ask that if I break any rules, please let me know and I will fix it. I am grateful to find out that there seems to be a great following, much more than I realized. Till then I say goodbye and, Salute!
Check out the Pilot Institute Deep Dive Video on the Mini2 very helpful!

Good day to all:

1. Do's & don'ts
2. Tip's & tricks

Welcome to the Forum. I see that you are in Pensacola where there are multiple air fields and military training. You need to get familiar with No Fly Zones (NFZ) and air space restrictions. Absolutely study up and take the TRUST test.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998