DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Must I update new drone

you "can" fly it as is but I WOULD download the DJI Assistant and update it

^^^1000 time this^^^

plus there may be a forced update (i.e. battery firmware sync) at the preflight check and you'd rather do that in your home using solid internet connectivity instead of some potentially spotty cellular tethering when you're out in the wild trying to fly.

Hi guys,

Should get my M2P (with Smart Controller) early next week.
Do you fly it as is or is updates very important?

Thanks

It's entirely your choice. There is no requirement to update - you can completely ignore the prompts - and the previous firmware version had no worrying issues.

Agreed I'm only a month in and upgraded prior to flight.

Read the manual now (download it)
buy it
Read the manual again
unbox it
read the manual
charge it
update it
read the manual again
use the flight simulator
find a massive open field with no trees and take to the air and practice :)

oh and don't forget to read the manual i still go back to it (youtube is great also especially with learning functionality and stuff)

Do you fly it as is or is updates very important?
While not required, I like to run the latest available updates. Being in software development for many years, I know that many resolved bugs are often not mentioned if nobody outside of the engineering team has discovered them. And if the engineers took time to make improvements, there was likely a good reason for it.

While not required, I like to run the latest available updates. Being in software development for many years, I know that many resolved bugs are often not mentioned if nobody outside of the engineering team has discovered them. And if the engineers took time to make improvements, there was likely a good reason for it.

Agreed, additionally you can often find yourself receiving less than normal support if you are not on the latest release (this may not be true of DJI but is of many software developers... the updates are updates for good reason.)

additionally you can often find yourself receiving less than normal support if you are not on the latest release
DJI doesn't require people to run the current firmware. However, they might recommend updating the firmware as a troubleshooting step if you contact them for help.

You don't actually need DJI Assistant 2 to upgrade, do you------provided you have internet access-------and assuming you have Go4 running which I believe would be the case for the Smart Controller anyway?

You don't actually need DJI Assistant 2 to upgrade, do you------provided you have internet access-------and assuming you have Go4 running which I believe would be the case for the Smart Controller anyway?
You can install the firmware from DJI GO or the DJI Assistant 2 application. Internet access is required no matter which you choose.

DJI doesn't require people to run the current firmware. However, they might recommend updating the firmware as a troubleshooting step if you contact them for help.

I didn't want to presume, but the logic still stands updates are updates for a reason :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowyerv