DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My drone committed suicide

audreycardle

Reactions
Hi, my name is Audrey and I just bought my first Mavic 2 Zoom. After 3 days of having it and testing it safely over ground not too far away from me and learning how to fly it, I flew it over a body of water. Nothing around the drone for miles considering I was over water and also in the middle of no where in Texas. All of the sudden I got a obstacle avoidance tag and was so startled I took my thumbs off the toggles considering I was over water and figured something was off because I knew for certain there was nothing in the air near my drone. After doing that I rotated my drone to the left as slow as I could to see what could possible be near me. Half way around the rotation I hadn't seen anything yet, then out of no where the camera display on my phone that was connected to the controller I was using just starts going absolutely crazy. At that time I had lost control of the drone. A few seconds later about 150 yards away I heard the drone hit the water and the controller lost connection. My heart INSTANTLY dropped to my stomach knowing how much money I just spent on my new Drone that I had been planning on using for work. So maddening. Anyone ever have anything similar to this happen ??? Or any suggestions what I should do ?? Thanks

Hi, my name is Audrey and I just bought my first Mavic 2 Zoom. After 3 days of having it and testing it safely over ground not too far away from me and learning how to fly it, I flew it over a body of water. Nothing around the drone for miles considering I was over water and also in the middle of no where in Texas. All of the sudden I got a obstacle avoidance tag and was so startled I took my thumbs off the toggles considering I was over water and figured something was off because I knew for certain there was nothing in the air near my drone. After doing that I rotated my drone to the left as slow as I could to see what could possible be near me. Half way around the rotation I hadn't seen anything yet, then out of no where the camera display on my phone that was connected to the controller I was using just starts going absolutely crazy. At that time I had lost control of the drone. A few seconds later about 150 yards away I heard the drone hit the water and the controller lost connection. My heart INSTANTLY dropped to my stomach knowing how much money I just spent on my new Drone that I had been planning on using for work. So maddening. Anyone ever have anything similar to this happen ??? Or any suggestions what I should do ?? Thanks
Could it have been a bird strike from behind?

Before you do anything, and in particular before you sync the flight logs to the DJI server, retrieve the mobile device DAT file from your phone. Then, if you want any analysis of the incident, post the txt log and the DAT file here.

How low were you when you got the obstacle warning?

Reactions: Capt KO
A false obstacle warning can be caused by sun or reflections ahead is that possible?
What happened after that would be best determined from flight data on your device.
Flying low over water can sometimes confuse sensors but it shouldn't descend without at least saying it needed too

Welcome to the forum Audrey, sadly not a good first post.

Before you do anything, and in particular before you sync the flight logs to the DJI server, retrieve the mobile device DAT file from your phone. Then, if you want any analysis of the incident, post the txt log and the DAT file here.

Do this, see the sig line there in sar104 post #4, click that and follow those instructions.

Hello?......Audrey?

Uncommanded descent is common when low over water, especially with the mini. It confuses the bottom sensors. Also, as stated earlier, facing the Sun will often stop the Drone dead in its tracks. Thinks it's an object. Sorry you did not have enough time flying over land to know what to do over water. I use a GetterBack float when over water. Retrieval for repair or replacement is better than nothing. See if the fire department will retrieve it with a diver. Or call local dive shop. Good luck.

Uncommanded descent is common when low over water, especially with the mini. It confuses the bottom sensors. Also, as stated earlier, facing the Sun will often stop the Drone dead in its tracks. Thinks it's an object. Sorry you did not have enough time flying over land to know what to do over water. I use a GetterBack float when over water. Retrieval for repair or replacement is better than nothing. See if the fire department will retrieve it with a diver. Or call local dive shop. Good luck.

Just to avoid any confusion, lack of altitude control low over water is fairly common with all models, but is a completely different issue than the MM height loss that has generally become referred to as uncommanded descent.

Feel for you in the same boat at the moment, i have flown drones for 5 years now so not as bad for me but your 1st one so soon gutted for you. Like sar104 said get your dat file up as he helped me out no end, good luck

Reactions: Capt KO
Care Refresh? If so, its worth a diver. If not, hopefully the flight records help. Heck, I'd dive for $5 tank of air, for fun.
Take care

You should still have control over the AC with the remote even if the app fails, including activating RTH to at least reorient back towards you. You have some telemetry info from the LCD screen to work from. Then when you know it is heading towards you but OA is still kicking in false readings, put it in sport mode which turns them all off. When back in visual range, fly it back in and land.

I know this is hindsight but could help in the future.

You should still have control over the AC with the remote even if the app fails, including activating RTH to at least reorient back towards you. You have some telemetry info from the LCD screen to work from. Then when you know it is heading towards you but OA is still kicking in false readings, put it in sport mode which turns them all off. When back in visual range, fly it back in and land.
None of that is relevant to the incident described by the OP.

I hate to read stories like this. It sounds like something that would happen to me. I now own 5 DJI Drones and an OSMO Pocket. They Rock. But, there are times I see that I have simply lost all control to a swirling storm of facts that result in a REFRESH claim. Currently, working on a little film documenting what I know "I could NEVER do again (or if I tried)" event that claimed my MINI (RIP 4:19:2020). Launched from an upper floor in a building. Completed several launch and lands without issue. Well, this time approach was good until a slight drift caused a collision with a glass door. I did not panic as I figured it was three feet up and liekly going to cost me a new propeller or two. However, hit glass...slid down tro the ground where ut met some newly installed ikea tiles (plastic) - slid straight towards ledge, missing every plant in its way - sliding right UNDER the gap of the railing.,..and FINALLY silently plummeted 20+ floors landing on a concrete sidewalk. I would have thought I would come upon pure carnage on the sidewalk. But, considering the fall...I was shocked. Still a claim, but that lil'one is TOUGH.corpus approachus.jpgcorpus 1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab