DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advice on settings for launching off a cliff or a boat & flying out over open sea.

Impressive video! Heck of a lot easier with a Phantom than a Mavic 3! Note, the pilot was never the catcher, either! I'd like to see the out-takes where the recovery failed! Some were even handoff catches! Almost like catching a flying bird by grabbing onto one leg!

Not aware of any different top speed max spec in Europe.
Should be worldwide.
Nope. 47mph outside Europe. It’s limited in Europe so they can meet Class A2. Anyone in US can test this and fly 47mph in sport mode. (You know what they say about reading the manual ;)

Attachments

• 61F3A130-2CA1-4A78-88E0-138420F44B9F.jpeg
    61F3A130-2CA1-4A78-88E0-138420F44B9F.jpeg
    609.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Wow EU bureaucrats work wonders again.
But WHY? Rhetorical question already answered.
The FPV isn't EU governed.......or is it? @alex_markov ????
I haven't had the bottle to try yet lol.

What part of Newfoundland are you going to? I grew up there. Be very wary of the weather/wind. Like they say “in Newfoundland, if you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes”.
If any of the bergs come into some of the sounds or inlets, that might be a better bet than trying to do it on the open coast. But then again, NL weather can surprise you so you never know. Would love to see the results when you’re done. Haven’t been back to NL since before the pandemic.

Nope. 47mph outside Europe. It’s limited in Europe so they can meet Class A2. Anyone in US can test this and fly 47mph in sport mode. (You know what they say about reading the manual ;)
Touché! Good to know! Don't spend much time in Europe anymore anyway!

Will be going iceberg hunting in the East Coast & have never flown over open seas. I have flown several times over rapids with my Mavic 2 Pro before I acquired my Mavic 3. Here are a few of my questions:

1. Do I set my RTH to “Smart RTH”. Something tells me I should not set via height because the cliff I launched from is higher?
Your I would still set the RTH altitude at least 20m/60', just to ensure that it is high enough to avoid obstacles or the cliff face
2. Seems unanimous that I turn OFF Obstacle Avoidance but isn’t the only way to do this is set the drone to “Sport Mode”?
I fly in sport mode almost exclusively. Not a big deal
3. For hand catching on a boat, I have read a lot of people saying to set Obstacle Avoidance to “Brake” which makes it easier. I have hand caught on dry land but never in open seas!
I turn obstacle avoidance off. It's challenging enough to do a hand catch on a boat that's pitching, rolling, and moving. It's worse when your drone tries to avoid your hand, lol.
Any advice on flying in the environments I just described above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Be sure you have permission from the boat owner before you try and fly. Remember that the boat's position is dynamic and may be different than the recorded home point. Make sure that you have a clear launch / recovery area and that people keep clear when launching and recovering. If you have another drone pilot on board, use them to either do the hand catch or fly the drone to your hand.

Will be going iceberg hunting in the East Coast & have never flown over open seas. I have flown several times over rapids with my Mavic 2 Pro before I acquired my Mavic 3. Here are a few of my questions:

1. Do I set my RTH to “Smart RTH”. Something tells me I should not set via height because the cliff I launched from is higher?

2. Seems unanimous that I turn OFF Obstacle Avoidance but isn’t the only way to do this is set the drone to “Sport Mode”?

3. For hand catching on a boat, I have read a lot of people saying to set Obstacle Avoidance to “Brake” which makes it easier. I have hand caught on dry land but never in open seas!

I have a Firehouse Arc II strobe light mounted at the top rearmost point on my Mavic 3 so I can keep VLOS as these icebergs could be as far as 2km from shore. I will also be using my Asus ROG 5 mobile gaming phone that has 2 USB-C ports that I can as an option connect my Epson Moverio BT-40 smartglasses to get a clear FPV view of what I’m shooting along with keeping VLOS at all times. Was planning on getting the RC Pro but decided not to because of random disconnect issues stated in various forums. I will be using UAV Forecast app to monitor for ideal flight conditions as I will be spending a week iceberg hunting.

Any advice on flying in the environments I just described above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Where are you hunting Icebergs!? There is a large one near my home in Triton, Newfoundland now!

What part of Newfoundland are you going to? I grew up there. Be very wary of the weather/wind. Like they say “in Newfoundland, if you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes”.
If any of the bergs come into some of the sounds or inlets, that might be a better bet than trying to do it on the open coast. But then again, NL weather can surprise you so you never know. Would love to see the results when you’re done. Haven’t been back to NL since before the pandemic.
Bonavista to Triton depending on where the icebergs are. I have arranged a private tour with a local who has had other people launch their drones off his boat. Hopefully there will be a day with CALM WATERS otherwise I will launch from shore! 🙏🏼🤞🏼

Bonavista to Triton depending on where the icebergs are. I have arranged a private tour with a local who has had other people launch their drones off his boat. Hopefully there will be a day with CALM WATERS otherwise I will launch from shore! 🙏🏼🤞🏼
Yes Mike Roberts (Badger Bay Boat Tours on FB) is offering "load and go" trips daily lately!! The berg here now is huge!

Message me if you happen to be here - I would love to hook up and maybe share experiences of flying to this berg etc.! if it is still here!

Yes Mike Roberts (Badger Bay Boat Tours on FB) is offering "load and go" trips daily lately!! The berg here now is huge!

Message me if you happen to be here - I would love to hook up and maybe share experiences of flying to this berg etc.! if it is still here!
Sent you a DM!

Watching this thread closely as I am planning a family camping trip to Newfoundland in July. Likely won't see any icebergs in July but you never know.

Chris

Reactions: f13dfx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078