DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advice on which direction to go with FPV

Rogerc

Reactions
I currently fly a DJI Mavic Pro 2 and love it. I want to get into FPV and need advice.
One option I am looking at is just getting some DJI Goggles (orginal white goggles) and doing my FPV flying with my Mavic.
The second option is to start with a Tinyhawk RTF and learn on that and then upgrade to a larger drone. I am not able to build from any type of kits due to bad hands from a medical condition. I also do not want to race just fly and enjoy FPV.
What do you think is the best option for a 66 year old that currently flies a Mavic and wants to get into FPV?
Also need advice on an RTF kit that is bigger than the Tinyhawk and has better goggles, range and camera etc but is a beginner setup. Willingly to spend the dollars on a good set up if it fits my long term needs.
All suggestions are appreciated.
RC

Be sure you get a spotter who stand beside you, maintaining VLOS, and communicates directly to you.

White Goggles work fine for FPV...if your M2 setup is using a Smart Controller you can also connect with an HDMI cable.

You can likely pick up a lightly used set of Goggles for $250-ish.

If you have difficulties focusing on the displays a set of Focus Fixer (or similar) inserts is usually a good solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra
If you want to test the FPV feeling first without big investment, just get a cardboard case for your smartphone, the Litchi app and try with your Mavic.

I have the DJI Goggles RE that I use with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I don't use them often, as you need to have a Visual Observer keep their eyes on the bird while you are engrossed in FPV. But when I do use them it is awesome! Feels like you are in the bird and actually flying.

The best reason for my having the goggles though has been for family or guests to use. They get to sit with the goggles on while I fly and they are Wowed. Their reactions alone has been worth the price!

Reactions: razoraerial
I currently fly a DJI Mavic Pro 2 and love it. I want to get into FPV and need advice.
One option I am looking at is just getting some DJI Goggles (orginal white goggles) and doing my FPV flying with my Mavic.
The second option is to start with a Tinyhawk RTF and learn on that and then upgrade to a larger drone. I am not able to build from any type of kits due to bad hands from a medical condition. I also do not want to race just fly and enjoy FPV.
What do you think is the best option for a 66 year old that currently flies a Mavic and wants to get into FPV?
Also need advice on an RTF kit that is bigger than the Tinyhawk and has better goggles, range and camera etc but is a beginner setup. Willingly to spend the dollars on a good set up if it fits my long term needs.
RC
It sounds like you are looking to stay with it and if so , I would suggest purchasing seperate units.
The Tinyhawk is an exellent choice for a starter as it is very reliable and holds up great in crashes. There will be lots of those. There is no gps or altitude hold with the fpv type drones so if you let go of the controls, it will crash. I find it alot more fun than my Mavic 2 Pro. Be prepared to get bit by the fpv bug, I know I did. It is soo much fun and the little ones can be flown just about anywhere. They just did not have these kinds of things when we were growing up (just turned 60 myself)...

For the radio controller, I would suggest a FrSky brand as they are supported by most of the controller board manufacturers. They are software based so they can be setup and customized for just about anything. There are lots of Youtube vids on how to set it up. I have a Taranis QX7 myself and love it. It is one of the lower budget versions coming in at just over 100 bucks. There is an "S" version with upgrades. One of those is the "Hall Gimbal" sticks which I purchaed and installed myself and they are very smooth. The originals are still quite good as well. I have no reason to get a better radio myself...

Goggles are another beast. First, there are two basic types. Box type goggles which have one large screen and are generally more immersive. I would say these are better for general flying around looking at things. The white DJI goggles are a single wide screen. Some people report getting a little dizzy after awhile with very wide screens.
Then there are the split lens type that have two screens. These have a smaller field of view than the single screen ones and are preferred by the racers and freestylers as everything is more concentrated in the center which seems to make it easier to accurately hit smaller gaps.
I can't help much with the box goggles as I have researched the dual screen types.
There are a few brand new goggles out (one a month or so from shipping pre orders) that are finally bringing better picture quality. Goggles up to lately have been like watching a 1950's television with all the static and such. The new ones have much better quality screens.
One of the newcomers is the new DJI Digital FPV which looks great (and the most expensive) but you have to use their camera and radio unit which if I remember is close to 100 grams. Thats way too heavy for anything smaller as the extra weight really kills flight time.
The second is ORQA goggles which aren't shipping yet. That is what I have been looking at until the last couple of weeks when the third one appeared.
The third is Skyzone SKY02O OLED goggles which are being noted as the best available at the moment even beating out the FatShark OLED version that is a couple hundred more. They cost a little over 400 bucks but is something you would use for a long time.

So for the drone, "Tinyhawk S" is a great starter. Make sure you get the newer "S" version and it is available with a FrSky receiver built in.
For the radio a FrSky Taranis QX7.
For goggles, if you want something that shouldn't need upgrading I would go for the Skyzone SKY02O OLED's.

Another suggestion that really helped me was using a simulator to get used to flying FPV, especially in acro mode. The Taranis QX7 controller hooks up to the computer so you develop the same muscle memory in the sim that you will use on the quads.

I have been digging into fpv for at least the last six months so if you have any questions or need anything, just send me a pm...

This is a little 75mm whoop (about the same as the Tinyhawk) I built and yesterday added a combo DVR/VTX Transmitter for 18 bucks (you can see the memory card sticking out the side. I have been dying to fly it around the outside the house here but it has been very windy and will be for days. It only weighs 44 grams with the batteries so it dosen't handle higher winds well...
It cost me 125 bucks to build it not including the memory card and batteries.

Attachments

• Stanley2.png
    Stanley2.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: Rogerc
RC
I have the white goggles and Mavic Pro. Worth it. I hear ya on the bad hands. With retirement, I now have the time to do it, but post-stroke conditions make it unfeasible. Casual flying around the park with bird's eye view. Luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB