DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Improved Gimbal Gaurd

drone_video

Reactions
I did a search and didn't find anyone talking about this, so I thought I would share it.
I ordered one of these from Drone Valley for my Mavic pro, and its way better than the included gimbal guard. Super easy to install with one hand even, and it seems stronger and should hold up better in transport:
DJI Mavic Pro - Gimbal Lock

If you have been looking for something better, this should work really well, it does for me.

I picked up one of these too here on Amazon when the tabs snapped off of my OEM cover. The combination gimbal lock and cover are really convenient.
41Xfi6CBC-L.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up one of these too here on Amazon when the tabs snapped off of my OEM cover. The combination gimbal lock and cover are really convenient.

View attachment 36367

Cool, that's a few bucks cheaper too....
The OEM Lock is not very good at all, I was lucky and had a chance to replace mine before it broke. I suspect they will not be using this design on the next model.

May I ask, how long have you had your for? Is it holding up?

I did a search and didn't find anyone talking about this, so I thought I would share it.
I ordered one of these from Drone Valley for my Mavic pro, and its way better than the included gimbal guard. Super easy to install with one hand even, and it seems stronger and should hold up better in transport:

If you have been looking for something better, this should work really well, it does for me.
The original lock didn't have an obvious seated position. It was very hard to use and all of the effort trying was probably not good for the Gimbal.

I have the one you recommend and its excellent. So easy to install.

I have used this since for seeing it recommended by drone valley last year. It’s an excellent alternative to the crappy cover supplied by DJI.

The original lock didn't have an obvious seated position. It was very hard to use and all of the effort trying was probably not good for the Gimbal.

I have the one you recommend and its excellent. So easy to install.

Cool, I'm glad I made the right call on grabbing this. I supported drone valley on my purchase because he contributes to the community. The $2 extra charge compared to the amazon link was a small donation in my mind for supporting the community with his helpful videos he posts.

Reactions: ksmusa
I have used this since for seeing it recommended by drone valley last year. It’s an excellent alternative to the crappy cover supplied by DJI.

I saw him mention this in a video about two weeks ago when I ordered it. I had that moment of "I cant believe I didn't think to look for this" - and based on his pretty level headed opinions on other matters, I took a chance and ordered it. I'm really happy with the cover, so much nicer and as swb_mct pointed out this should be way better for the gimbal as the manhandling required to install the factory one was probably doing more damage than good.

I like the stock gimbal lock.
• It holds the camera securely while i change filters or clean the lens.
• It really is not hard to insert or remove.
• After taping some ribbon on it, I do not forget to remove it.

IMHO this one is marginally better than the stock guard. The issue with this one is that the camera needs to be pointing straight forward with no angle in order of it to fit on. If you turn the Pro over, the camera is likely to move slightly so you end up needing to fiddle with the camera anyway

Edit: best (and only really good guard) made by DJI is for the Air.

Reactions: drone_video
IMHO this one is marginally better than the stock guard. The issue with this one is that the camera needs to be pointing straight forward with no angle in order of it to fit on. If you turn the Pro over, the camera is likely to move slightly so you end up needing to fiddle with the camera anyway

Edit: best (and only really good guard) made by DJI is for the Air.

I agree the Mavic one is near perfect... this alternative is way better I think for the Mavic Pro. But I suspect this is the last time we will see this design too...

Reactions: UAV Ernst
I like the stock gimbal lock.
• It holds the camera securely while i change filters or clean the lens.
• It really is not hard to insert or remove.
• After taping some ribbon on it, I do not forget to remove it.

The holding in place while changing filters is a good observation I didn't consider... I'm going to keep the stock one in my kit so I can use it for that purpose!

I would agree its not hard to remove or install, just think the drone valley one is easier but it also feels more durable for transport. I tend to be on planes and think this will hold up way better as carry on.

I would agree its not hard to remove or install, just think the drone valley one is easier but it also feels more durable for transport.

Keep in mind that DV is just a reseller. He charges $10 for one and others sell them for $8.00 for one and $13.00 for two on amazon.

View attachment 36367
I think the stock lock works well (in fact, I bought another when I lost my first one a week after getting the MP), but I do like that it is all one piece, since the only time I use the clear dome is when putting the MP away, this would save a step.

I disliked the Mavic supplied locks because they were clear and I lost mine somewhere and could not find it. These come in gray or a darker color which make them a bit easier to spot if you drop one in the grass or weeds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan