DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Air Range Leaderboard!

A few tips:
- A warm battery at take off
- An open field where you will have a clear LOS even if you do not go to more then 30-40 meters of altitude (saves power to stay low)
- The open field also allows for emergencey landing if you do not make it all the way home
- Avoid to have water the closest 1000 meters (Same reason as above)
- Make a shorter (3-4000 meters) test run before the main run, to collect data on power consumption per 100 meters (so you know when you need to turn, there is no need to gamble, e.g. knowing that 43 % will actually take you back from the turn is a comfort)
- Do not waste power on Auto RTH, be ready to cancel quickly...;)
- Practice flying below 10 % of battery, you will need to be able to control the AC (efficiently) the last 1000 meters while "fighting" the Auto Landing.

As you see from my tips, with the 4Hawks its all about how to manage the battery life....
Looking forward to get company on the other side of the 5km mark......;)
Cheers !!!
Thanks for the tips I have done very well with other DJI aircraft so I know pretty much all of them..... thing is with auto return to home I had to use it with stock antennas LOL because I wouldn't get feedback until four or five thousand feet into the return!....now i can actually see the whole way;) actually return to home with the right stick forward will net you faster speed, on mav air it is worth it.....so instead of 18 im doing 28mph home.. . If I didn't do that in my last distance run I definitely wouldn't have made it home..... and what I meant was I have to go somewhere like where you are going to achieve that kind of range right now I've been flying Urban I have been getting very good range for urban but I need to expand if I'm going to get to the 5000m barrier.... I did it to show a lot of the guys that guess you can good good range in an urban environment..... I'm pretty sure that if I can get over 4200m in a city like environment I could smash the 5000-meter mark in open land. Thing is I don't really have open land around here I'm right outside of Philadelphia PA so I will have to do some searching

Last edited:
Reactions: JB999
Thanks for the tips I have done very well with other DJI aircraft so I know pretty much all of them..... thing is with auto return to home I had to use it with stock antennas LOL because I wouldn't get feedback until four or five thousand feet into the return!....now i can actually see the whole way;) actually return to home with the right stick forward will net you faster speed, on mav air it is worth it.....so instead of 18 im doing 28mph home.. . If I didn't do that in my last distance run I definitely wouldn't have made it home..... and what I meant was I have to go somewhere like where you are going to achieve that kind of range right now I've been flying Urban I have been getting very good range for urban but I need to expand if I'm going to get to the 5000m barrier.... I did it to show a lot of the guys that guess you can good good range in an urban environment..... I'm pretty sure that if I can get over 4200m in a city like environment I could smash the 5000-meter mark in open land. Thing is I don't really have open laying around here I'm right outside of Philadelphia PA so I will have to do some searching

Yeah, The RTH with full trottle is a good way to get the optimal speed, i agree.
Looking forward to your 5km+ run, you will definitely do it with a good open field location.

Reactions: Mike4884
Yeah, The RTH with full trottle is a good way to get the optimal speed, i agree.
Looking forward to your 5km+ run, you will definitely do it with a good open field location.
Hoping to find a decent spot... only thing i can think of right now is over the delaware river lol ....have to check out maps..

Ok so just did my first real test run. With 4hawks raptor sr.....couple things to note.... this is a very urban area lots of WiFi.....
I always fly in 5.8 i get better signal but wanted to try 2.4ghz
Hd downlink...(image transmission) is way better this is a biggie....i made it out to 13,843 ft or 4219meters... this is spectacular because I would have never did this in 2.4 where I live i have flight log and will be uploading a video showing the HD down link usually at about two thousand feet sometimes less! it would start to Break-Up and lag really bad......yea not with this antenna..... I can only imagine what 5.8 ghz will be like!!! Ok so is the 4Hawks Raptor Sr Antenna worth? it **** yes!!! Video will be up soon.... you will see in the video I could have went another thousand feet but did not want to push my luck....smart rth again screwed me! because i could not cancel it tried pressing X on the screen quite a few times.... I had to flip into sport mode to cancel it and back to pmode....but the aircraft came back a good bit and I turned around and kept on..... in the future I think I can configure the "fn" button to cancel smart return home....
...p.s there is my flight log @Drone Master put me on for 4219m this is modded antenna.... remember guys I am not flying in the wide-open area like over water or over tons of open field..... this is about as Urban as it gets I think this proves how great the image transmission is on this drone with the 4hawks

thanks for the detailed report and the videos Mike..! Now for that 5km+ run:D... Cheers

Just to compare.. here is stock run from 3 wks ago in same channel 2.4 and same height. notice from 1500ft and on signal is sporadic and had a super hard time over river. ....in and out of signal....shoot if this video doesn't show you how much more stable 4hawks makes the hd feed idk what will ! Basically i get to over 8500ft in my 4hawks video without lag! This video not so good. Def recommend it. Especially for people who don't really do distance runs also I could see this being really good for in close stabe hd feed. Its rock solid.

very noticeable difference in the video feed with and without the mod Thumbswayup
wonder what you can do in 5.8 with this one

very noticeable difference in the video feed with and without the mod Thumbswayup
wonder what you can do in 5.8 with this one
Have not tested .... but if it is that much better in 2.4 I can only imagine 5.8 will be the bomb I am very happy with this antenna I've seen better results with this on my Mavic Air...then my itelite antennas on my phantoms.... I think it does so good because this is WiFi and it's not really proprietary software like light Bridge....just plain old "enhanced wifi"... really want to test 5.8 but we have a major snow storm coming tonight into tomorrow :(.....and yes so u watched both of them videos?! Very noticeable difference! In an urban environment . Thats key

Last edited:
Reactions: cyborg
View attachment 32949 I think you guys know what must be done
Haha right .... this antenna i think would be so good with boosters.... like mavic Pro territory it already is close without it! And i have a pro... I think I'm going to look at boosters just because I like to Tinker around ....it does so good without them tho!!! I can't stress this enough anyone looking for an antenna this is a major go!!!

...haha omg just noticed 20w!!! Dude thats crazy we need a 5.8 booster too tho correct

Have not tested .... but if it is that much better in 2.4 I can only imagine 5.8 will be the bomb I am very happy with this antenna I've seen better results with this on my Mavic Air...then my itelite antennas on my phantoms.... I think it does so good because this is WiFi and it's not really proprietary software like light Bridge....just plain old "enhanced wifi"... really want to test 5.8 but we have a major snow storm coming tonight into tomorrow :(.....and yes so u watched both of them videos?! Very noticeable difference! In an urban environment . Thats key
yeah, watched both you mod and pre-mod videos, the pre-mod feed gets all choppy around 3500ft, but it looks like the mod one is buttery smooth till 9000+ft.. that's pretty impressive..

yeah, watched both you mod and pre-mod videos, the pre-mod feed gets all choppy around 3500ft, but it looks like the mod one is buttery smooth till 9000+ft.. that's pretty impressive..
It actually starts getting choppy close to 2000ft....none the less it is impressive

Can’t agree more with warmth and not using RTH. I wasn’t trying for distance but rather to capture some shots of an old family cottage across the lake.

Open area is key and for me if I was to redo with the I intention of distance, go low, go fast, warm day and no RTH

Can’t agree more with warmth and not using RTH. I wasn’t trying for distance but rather to capture some shots of an old family cottage across the lake.

Open area is key and for me if I was to redo with the I intention of distance, go low, go fast, warm day and no RTH
This is all true especially with my mav pro p4 and p4 pro but with mavic air. Coming back at 18mph just doesnt cut it... i wouldnt have made it home if i didnt have rth on with right stick forward resulting in 28mph....which is an efficient speed and better then sport mode for battery consumption....i agree if u just rth and let it do everything automagically....not many people know that they can press right stick forward and net a faster speed

I’d love to see people’s top speeds as well. Hit 73km which shocked me
Here is my mav air from a few weeks ago all stock and my mav pro hacked ;) proud of this one...anyways working on a speed hack for air....i just figured out how to get into params on this one its a little different but if hackable should do what my pro does! Acceleration would be faster too!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180307-074939.jpg
    Screenshot_20180307-074939.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20180307-075448.jpg
    Screenshot_20180307-075448.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Haha right .... this antenna i think would be so good with boosters.... like mavic Pro territory it already is close without it! And i have a pro... I think I'm going to look at boosters just because I like to Tinker around ....it does so good without them tho!!! I can't stress this enough anyone looking for an antenna this is a major go!!!

...haha omg just noticed 20w!!! Dude thats crazy we need a 5.8 booster too tho correct
Yeah I don’t NEED boosters, but I like tinkering, so I WANT boosters

I refuse to be bumped out of last place!..3800 meters tonight. Light winds, 60 degrees F, no dropouts, landed with 25%. Bone stock, 3rd attempt. @Drone Master

Attachments

• IMG_3210.PNG
    IMG_3210.PNG
    656 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3211.PNG
    IMG_3211.PNG
    640.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: lolo780
I refuse to be bumped out of last place!..3800 meters tonight. Light winds, 60 degrees F, no dropouts, landed with 25%. Bone stock, 3rd attempt. @Drone Master
Actually, your max distance on that flight was 3792M.
Welcome back to the 10th spot once again;)
Let’s see how long you can hold on.:)

Reactions: Drone1aerial
Actually, your max distance on that flight was 3792M.
Welcome back to the 10th spot once again;)
Let’s see how long you can hold on.:)
Well... Siri must be a bad mathematician. :) Some people on here have some serious billiards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin