DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinion: Does Mavic Pro Malfunction or Can people just not accept they Messed up?

Kate

Reactions
Im sick of reading "Mavic did this", "Mavic flewaway", It's not my fault threads.

I've never had my mavic do anything I couldn't later realise was normal functioning.
Am i the only one who believes it does exactly as advertised

Lately I've been skipping over these threads for the same reason. "got my Mavic today and this stupid thing won't.....got my Mavic today and this stupid thing crashed for no reason"

I poured over Youtube videos for weeks before it even arrived. When it came I read the manual over and over. I watched hundreds of videos on what not to do. I sat with the quad running going over and learning all the setting before i sent it on it's maiden voyage. Yeah it gets old but what are you gonna do? Many people thinks it's a toy and just send it up with no regard.
Every problem I've encountered (albeit small) where caused by me and I learned from it. Happy and Safe Flying!

yes mavics do go wrong so do humans Mavics can know they have gone wrong and still crash, humans know they have gone wrong and either blame the crash on something else or someone else.

Mavics and humans are alike in many ways They can act up, fail. and make stupid decisions when the neurons do not quite fire right.

Then crash

there are many certified cases of Mavic failure as well as human error and quite a few cases of no brains or common sense

Reactions: Blades
The only one that scares me is simply the fact that if there is interference with the compass, the Mavic drops the GPS and goes to ATTI mode. Christ...just no reason to do that. Sit there and hover or even yaw a bit while re-establishing, but going to ATTI mode is just stupid in my opinion. Also, like cars, there's no reason the darn thing can't just start moving and re-establish it's orientation based on the direction of motion detected from the GPS signal. Compasses are just too vulnerable to magnetic interference.

LP

Im sick of reading "Mavic did this", "Mavic flewaway", It's not my fault threads.

I've never had my mavic do anything I couldn't later realise was normal functioning.
Am i the only one who believes it does exactly as advertised

I tend to think a lot of the problems are due to the number of operating systems & devices used. Its a pretty stable platform for IOs but Android users seem to have a different experience at times.

The only one that scares me is simply the fact that if there is interference with the compass, the Mavic drops the GPS and goes to ATTI mode. Christ...just no reason to do that. Sit there and hover or even yaw a bit while re-establishing, but going to ATTI mode is just stupid in my opinion. Also, like cars, there's no reason the darn thing can't just start moving and re-establish it's orientation based on the direction of motion detected from the GPS signal. Compasses are just too vulnerable to magnetic interference.
It is not technically possible unless you have HUGE free space around you.

yes mavics do go wrong so do humans Mavics can know they have gone wrong and still crash, humans know they have gone wrong and either blame the crash on something else or someone else.

Mavics and humans are alike in many ways They can act up, fail. and make stupid decisions when the neurons do not quite fire right.

Then crash

there are many certified cases of Mavic failure as well as human error and quite a few cases of no brains or common sense

This is true.
I accept there may be rare cases of defects and Mavic Pro has it's limitations.
I think in a similar style some people refuse to accept its limitations.

I also think the problem is some people have too much money. ie: can afford to lose a Mavic, so they
get cavalier.

lol Theres already a post about in the thread about ATTI mode.
GPS signal = GPS mode, nuff said

please dont derail the thread dude

It's the nature of a forum Kate , you have been here long enough to know that . I agree with james and Gary as I have had mine for 9 month's and have never had any issue's other than what I caused .And I fly alot . Skipping over new members threads really isn't the right thing to do as if you know the reason you should tell them or just don't read them and move on to what interest you .
We're always going to have those that just buy and fly then come here .
Don't let it make you sick .
Don't worry.. Be happy :)
And fly safe . ;)

I have to say, I also wondered this, feeling that it'd always been solid, for me anyway. That was until I was flying in a rural area with no likely/obvious magnetic interference in perfect conditions my MP inexplicably dropped into ATTI mode and the wind took it behind some trees, out of LOS. Literally up to the moment this happened I had around 16 satellites, with 5 bar signal strengths and suddenly it all dropped. Still don't know why it happened but there certainly wasn't any explanation falling within the bounds of human error.

Reactions: alelongoni
This whole dropping into Atti mode has me perplexed..Do any of you know how to actually pilot a drone? I've flown many drones with no GPS hold and have fought the wind to fly it. Really it's part of becoming a better pilot.

This whole dropping into Atti mode has me perplexed..Do any of you know how to actually pilot a drone? I've flown many drones with no GPS hold and have fought the wind to fly it. Really it's part of becoming a better pilot.
In case your comment was aimed at my response, yes, very comfortable in ATTI, but the question was about whether the MP does stuff it's not intended to do, i.e. does it malfunction.

I guess as much as we can't exclude the fact that there are sadly some MP with real issues and manufacturing problems, it does seem that most problems with fly away drones as claimed or drones crashing would indeed be due to human error and definitely panicking when you realise that **** is about to hit the fan. IMHO, if your MP is able to hover for a full 20 mins without flying away, it's only reasonable to believe that any crash accidents is mostly from operator error. Albeit some having issues like the toilet bowl effect and all.

I guess the bottom line is some have better spatial awareness than others, and we all did start out from somewhere like the noobs. But they really need to reign in on their enthusiasm and just read the manual first!

Reactions: damienlovegrove
There's jsut one problem... the Mavic has become the first drone for many, and DJI's stupid choice to not let you switch to ATTI manually on that aircraft means that people can't train themselves. The day their Mavic drops to ATTI will likely be the first time they ever attempt to fly a multi in ATTI, in the worst possible conditions.

It's the nature of a forum Kate , you have been here long enough to know that . I agree with james and Gary as I have had mine for 9 month's and have never had any issue's other than what I caused .And I fly alot . Skipping over new members threads really isn't the right thing to do as if you know the reason you should tell them or just don't read them and move on to what interest you .
We're always going to have those that just buy and fly then come here .
Don't let it make you sick .
Don't worry.. Be happy :)
And fly safe . ;)

Your right Dirkclod. Im Happy, AND Angry! sometimes
PS: Thx 4 not riding me about the bowl full of *cough* post

There's jsut one problem... the Mavic has become the first drone for many, and DJI's stupid choice to not let you switch to ATTI manually on that aircraft means that people can't train themselves. The day their Mavic drops to ATTI will likely be the first time they ever attempt to fly a multi in ATTI, in the worst possible conditions.

^This. DJI is marketing their quads to the masses as flying camera platforms, not FPV or toy drones. The easier they make them to fly, the more people will jump into the pool without the proper background - and complain loudly when things don't work they way they imagined. PCs and Macs followed a similar path...."don't worry about what's happening under the covers, even an idiot can use the pretty interface!"....until there's a problem. I didn't fall for it with PCs (because I was around long before them), but unfortunately I did with the Mavic. I had never touched a quad prior to my Mavic...and now I'm taking a crash course (hopefully no pun intended) and looking for other ways to actually learn how to fly. So while I agree that most problems are likely pilot error, I still contend that at least the Mavic doesn't use the best failover logic.

LP

It's not unfortunate.
Mavic was the ultimate middle ground, Grand Tourer if you will , I think that was why we love it.

Serious FPV is back to the world of R/C.
Not a bad thing at all, but your back to high maintenance, repairs and Toolbox of spare parts.

I want to get into it as there's singletrack forest nearby, but need to Lurk one of a 250 Forum to get learn'ed
Do you need to register 250 drones? Dont tell me, I dont want to know, because i might hit a ped on
that singletrack, hehe

Anyway, Until then, Mavic is still the main show :)

I also would love to see an ATTI mode which I can manuall start and if it gets too scary just hit the pause button to let the automatic save the MP. This way one could practice manual flying and it would be less surprising if it falls out of P-mode for whatever reason during a normal flight

I'll conceed the ATTI should have a Panic button. Might have saved some heartache for some eager flyers.

But seriously, wherever I have a GPS signal on the ground for about 30m square, and then go straight up gaining altitude, GPS has only ever gotten stronger
So if you takeoff fly up above the highest obstacles, then proceed to explore, even signal loss is only ever gonna cause a RTH.

Have people actually had it switch to ATTI mode in flight instead of going signal loss, RTHing?

That is a fair point to be honest, and also i have had minor atti experience and the Mavic when it does drop into atti often seems to react differently to the cheap atti mode drones around. Maybe that is just my perception as i am not that experienced (maybe 350 flights total with drones from Hubsans to the Mavic, not even past white belt yet).

Nerves got me once heading into waterfall between two 50 foot trees 4 feet apart which seems a lot except you have taken off from the only place in a jungle made from metal. (yea i did) i made it through but was nervous coming out the sats were real low and i had VPS off and just as i was coming in i caught a small drift and countered the wrong way. Mav into the tree and then me in horror as it tips down into the waterfall. somehow it righted itself and i flew that mother back in so fast. the tree got a hair cut and i had broken props.

the common one got me too, oh yes showing off, that one gets everyone, i promise you it will get you too.

"yea my mav is so cool cmon come watch"

in garden, fire her up eyes on from 4 people, telling them how they going to see this bird return home all on its own.

hit take off,up she goes then whoosh sideways at 10mph into a bush. Everyone laughs there *** off while i look at the app to see atti mode. yea i did not wait for the home point and gps lock on green.

other than that, i have two and i have to say they have flown over everything, and out to long ranges (for me 4 or 5 kilos often over water). Taken off from places i really should not, often never calibrate it unless it tells me too, Which it never has (except after FW updates). The gimbal sometimes has a mind of its own on occasion especially on the Thai Mavic i guess its an Asian thing as all my friends over their, they are the same they often say one thing and completely do something else entirely, like my gimbal does (especially on android),

i am not afraid to fly either of them anywhere as i have great confidence in them, i just chose not to fly them anywhere just in case.

You pays your money you take your chances. Mostly people do not practice enough, read enough or understand enough before they are ready. I was guilty of that too, but my luck held long enough for me to learn that 90 percent of what i was doing was gonna one day land me in trouble.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123