DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions in using the new 9.7” IPAD instead of Mini 4

Dariof

Reactions
Most are talking of the IPAD 4 for use with MP and DJI Go 4. This is being sold at Best Buy for 279.

But what about the
Apple iPad with WiFi, 32GB, Space Gray (2017 Model).

It’s 309 on Amazon. This tablet has a faster processor, larger screen as is newer (2017).

Opinions...

Most are talking of the IPAD 4 for use with MP and DJI Go 4. This is being sold at Best Buy for 279.

But what about the
Apple iPad with WiFi, 32GB, Space Gray (2017 Model).

It’s 309 on Amazon. This tablet has a faster processor, larger screen as is newer (2017).

Opinions...
I know people use them however I do not think the screen is as bright as the iPad mini4.

The 2017 iPad is definitely on the list. Many people are using it.

I changed over from an iPad mini 4 to an iPad Pro 9.7" and haven't looked back. One benefit (partially related to the hardware change) is that I no longer get the dreaded "Mobile device CPU fully loaded. Related performance will be affected." message ever.

Reactions: Pixar
I changed over from an iPad mini 4 to an iPad Pro 9.7" and haven't looked back. One benefit (partially related to the hardware change) is that I no longer get the dreaded "Mobile device CPU fully loaded. Related performance will be affected." message ever.

It seems for a difference of only about $20-$30, the larger screen & faster processor would be worth it.

There was reference in an above post that the screen is not as bright as the Mini 4. Are you aware if this is the case?

Reactions: eyeprojekt
It seems for a difference of only about $20-$30, the larger screen & faster processor would be worth it.

There was reference in an above post that the screen is not as bright as the Mini 4. Are you aware if this is the case?
The difference may be minimal in brightness
The iPad 2017 wins in terms of screen space, but the mini 4's smaller display is better in two key areas.
It's sharper, with a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch to the iPad 2017's 264ppi. Indeed, both devices

have the same number of pixels, but the mini's have been squeezed into a smaller space.
And the mini 4's screen is laminated, like those on the iPad Pros and Air 2. The iPad 2017 has an unlamented screen, like the iPad Air 1, which means it 'gives' slightly when you press it. This isn't a huge problem but makes the device feel a bit cheaper in use.

• iPad 2017: 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology; 2048x1536-pixel resolution at 264ppi. Unlaminated display
  • iPad mini 4: 7.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display; 2048x1536 resolution at 326 ppi; anti-reflective coating. Laminated display
looks like the 2017 ipad is around 420 nits and the ipad mini 4 is around 450 nits.

Reactions: dcren21
The difference may be minimal in brightness
The iPad 2017 wins in terms of screen space, but the mini 4's smaller display is better in two key areas.
It's sharper, with a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch to the iPad 2017's 264ppi. Indeed, both devices

have the same number of pixels, but the mini's have been squeezed into a smaller space.
And the mini 4's screen is laminated, like those on the iPad Pros and Air 2. The iPad 2017 has an unlamented screen, like the iPad Air 1, which means it 'gives' slightly when you press it. This isn't a huge problem but makes the device feel a bit cheaper in use.

• iPad 2017: 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology; 2048x1536-pixel resolution at 264ppi. Unlaminated display
  • iPad mini 4: 7.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display; 2048x1536 resolution at 326 ppi; anti-reflective coating. Laminated display

Very detailed response. Thank you so much. I appreciate your time.

Now it becomes a tossup for me. :)

I use a 9.7-inch iPad (the original Air) and will be upgrading to the 2017 iPad this month. The "give" of the unlaminated screen is minimal to the point of being virtually unnoticeable.

I love having the bigger screen since there are so many details you need to keep track of in DJI Go. Of course screen size is subjective. What isn't subjective, though, is the advantage of the faster processor, given the demands DJI Go makes on the device.

Reactions: Bunny Too
I use a 9.7-inch iPad (the original Air) and will be upgrading to the 2017 iPad this month. The "give" of the unlaminated screen is minimal to the point of being virtually unnoticeable.

I love having the bigger screen since there are so many details you need to keep track of in DJI Go. Of course screen size is subjective. What isn't subjective, though, is the advantage of the faster processor, given the demands DJI Go makes on the device.

I’m leaning that direction as well. Which device do you use to secure the larger IPAD to the Mavic controller. There are several out there.

I like the iPad 4 Mini that I use. Would I opt for a larger screen size if I had a choice? It depends:

The Mini 4 is more compact--it and its sunshade will slide into the front pocket of my Mavic case (but sticks out above the zipper). Also, it fits into the RC without a third-party mount. This is my choice if compact portability is an issue (it is).

Otherwise, take the larger screen--you won't be sorry. For carrying, you'll find that it fits in your landing pad bag (if you use one) along with its sunshade and third-party mount.

Reactions: Mymgb
I looked at the new 9.7" but settled on the 10.5" Pro model as I will be using it for duties other than flying. I received a loaded 10.5" iPad Pro for my birthday. Coming from an iPad Mini 2 it is a welcome relief. I can see the camera view so much better now.

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Accessories-Aluminum-Alloy-Foldable-Controller/dp/B01N7RFDBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512668022&sr=8-3&keywords=mavic+ipad+mount

Very solid, and it folds down completely flat, which makes it easy to tuck in my bag. It also comes with a nice little carrying pouch.
I use that mount & love it. Even with the case, it still fits in the mount" :cool:
Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 12.54.47 PM✨.png

Keep in mind also, that when using a bigger screen, it's reflecting more of your face/body/sky like a big flat mirror, so it's harder to see; while with smaller screen, such as the 5.5" screen of the best $49 Mavic screen ever, only small area is reflected, for example, just a small area below your neck while you're wearing a black t-shirt, resulting in much less reflection.

Also, although the screen is hi-res and Retina, the view from Mavic's camera gets stretched/interpolated to a bigger screen, you don't actually see more details, only more blurry. This makes judging whether its focused or not harder.

Also, using big screen and sticks is very poor ergonomics-wise, since you have to move your hand long distance and thus response time to emergency situations is longer.

Also, not screen size-specific, but with ios, you're at the mercy of apple and DJI screwing up OS and app. If it takes a week for them to fix, you're grounded for that week. With Android, takes a minute to install any version you want. You can even have multiple app versions installed concurrently.

Also, by making yourself $300 poorer, you're making a $500bn Godzilla even richer, and even more arrogant.

1awn93.jpg

After flying with ipad mini 2 for months and seeing all these pitfalls and stumbling upon $49 Wunderphone, there's no coming back. ;)Thumbswayup

PS. Bigger is not always better. :D

Haven't tried the 4 but was using a mini 2 and went to the 9.7 and was amazed . I love it ThumbswayupThumbswayup

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Keep in mind also, that when using a bigger screen, it's reflecting more of your face/body/sky like a big flat mirror, so it's harder to see; while with smaller screen, such as the 5.5" screen of the best $49 Mavic screen ever, only small area is reflected, for example, just a small area below your neck while you're wearing a black t-shirt, resulting in much less reflection.

Also, although the screen is hi-res and Retina, the view from Mavic's camera gets stretched/interpolated to a bigger screen, you don't actually see more details, only more blurry. This makes judging whether its focused or not harder.

Oh, what a load of hooey.

The screen either has glare on it or it doesn't. Use a sun shade on either size screen and you're fine.

As to resolution, the video feed coming from the Mavic ranges from 720p to 1080p, depending on signal strength. It isn't "blurry" on a 9.7-inch screen.

Also, using big screen and sticks is very poor ergonomics-wise, since you have to move your hand long distance and thus response time to emergency situations is longer.

If the difference in moving your finger across a 9.7-inch screen versus a 7.9-inch screen causes you to crash, the problem is you, not the device.

Also, not screen size-specific, but with ios, you're at the mercy of apple and DJI screwing up OS and app. If it takes a week for them to fix, you're grounded for that week. With Android, takes a minute to install any version you want. You can even have multiple app versions installed concurrently.
I have an Android phone and prefer it to iPhones, but there's no denying DJI does a much better job coding DJI Go for iOS over Android. The smart thing to do is wait to update the app until you've read here whether people are having problems with it.

Last edited:
Oh, what a load of hooey.

The screen either has glare on it or it doesn't. Use a sun shade on either size screen and you're fine.

As to resolution, the video feed coming from the Mavic ranges from 720p to 1080p, depending on signal strength. It isn't "blurry" on a 9.7-inch screen.

If the difference in moving your finger across a 9.7-inch screen versus a 7.9-inch screen causes you to crash, the problem is you, not the device.

I have an Android phone and prefer it to iPhones, but there's no denying DJI does a much better job coding DJI Go for iOS over Android. The smart thing to do is wait to update the app until you've read here whether people are having problems with it.
so an end result is what you the individual prefers--got it.

Shade doesn't help with the bright reflection of your face, provided the pilot does not have dark skin or is wearing one of these:

gimpy.jpg

The DIY solutions with the shade leaning at 45 degrees are not perfect either since you have to look at screen at the same 45 degree angle.

It doesn't seem to be as crisp on my ipad mini 2 as on 5.5" screen of the Wunderphone. It does look interpolated.

The difference between the ergonomics of a 10-inch screen mounted on an external mount, vs. a 5.5" in RC arms is huge.

p1010222-jpg.26064

there's no denying DJI does a much better job coding DJI Go for iOS over Android

I have the opposite experience: never a problem on Android; with ios, accidentally hitting home button or when switching apps, Go 4 "forgets" it was connected to Mavic and shows black Disconnected screen. Seems to be random - sometimes it comes back from background as connected, sometimes disconnected. These surprises are not good to have when Mavic is in the air.

so an end result is what you the individual prefers--got it.
As I wrote, use either size screen and you'll be fine. So yes, whichever you prefer. But objectively, a slightly larger screen is not blurry or rife with other problems.

Shade doesn't help with the bright reflection of your face, provided the pilot does not have dark skin or is wearing one of these:
No need to bring your S&M mask out of the closet. Device mounts are adjustable. You can change the angle a fraction of a degree and not see your own face.

While using my iPad with the Mavic, and the Phantom 3 before it, I have never once seen my own reflection. Either I'm a vampire or you're just inventing problems to serve your argument.

The difference between the ergonomics of a 10-inch screen mounted on an external mount, vs. a 5.5" in RC arms is huge.

But the OP wasn't asking about using a 5.5-inch phone, was he? He was asking about the iPad mini versus the 9.7-inch iPad.

It's a big leap to suggest someone replace their smartphone rather than just buy a tablet to use for flying their Mavic, seemingly only because you don't like Tim Cook.

Last edited:
Like Apple, don't like Apple, that's up to you but a 5.5" screen is too tiny for me when I have other options. You use 5.5" if you like, I will use 10.5". :D
The new iPad has better anti-glare now, at least the Pro does, didn't check the regular version. And if you have glare might I suggest one of these? :)

82622635.jpg

Device mounts are adjustable. You can change the angle a fraction of a degree and not see your own face.

Yes, except with a larger mirror you have to adjust it by a larger angle and thus look at the screen at a more oblique angle.

While using my iPad with the Mavic, and the Phantom 3 before it, I have never once seen my own reflection. Either I'm a vampire or you're just inventing problems to serve your argument.

No. I just prefer to look at screens as much straight-on as possible, and then I see my face. (it's basic physics, law of reflection) With a small device, I can tilt it slightly relative to line of sight and it reflects my chest in dark t-shirt. With big screen, tilting the same amount would show my chest AND my face.

But the OP wasn't asking about using a 5.5-inch phone, was he?

No, but the OP might be unaware of better alternatives and possibly is in "Apple is the greatest!" state of mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne