DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pay attention! (I didn’t)

Mini arrived around noon today. Same one I sent them.
Same damaged left front prop still attached to left front motor.
I though that was odd from the angle of, if your going to test fly for a left front prop strike issue, wouldn’t you install a new prop so that if the strike occurs, you would have very visible evidence of a strike to look at?

So here’s what I did. Removed old damaged prop. Now keep in mind, the mini was sent to them with the prop strike as the only issue. Not complicated right! The marks are visible on the shell and arm where the spinner hits! Relinked controller, yes, they at least linked one to another rc, what they did after that, I can’t answer. Recalibrated the compass as I was forced to do. Up slowly and going for some slow, easy left hand patterns.
Fifteen seconds later, Click. Another damaged prop? Brought it back down and yes, another nicked prop. Back up again, and within the next 10 minutes of the same pattern, three more clicks and a little more folded leading edge on the prop. No aggressive flying, no sport mode. Probably 65% throttle and less. Very minor wind.

I have sent them a message.

Can you take a picture like this and post...

Attachments

• 29B73483-25F0-4D83-BA90-E41D38E534D9.jpeg
    29B73483-25F0-4D83-BA90-E41D38E534D9.jpeg
    849 KB · Views: 67
Haven't had the prop stroke problem with my Mini. But, I don't fly in windy conditions, 15 MPH or less, and I don't jerk it around. Still running original props, around 10 flights so far lasting about 18 to 23 minutes.

Haven't had the prop stroke problem with my Mini. But, I don't fly in windy conditions, 15 MPH or less, and I don't jerk it around. Still running original props, around 10 flights so far lasting about 18 to 23 minutes.
Same here. Just a few more flights. I’m not into wind and I don’t do sport mode.

I’ve never had to deal with DJI, this is very disappointing, I think they’ve taken a management decision to blank this issue as it’s clearly a design flaw. I’ve only heard the clicking in very strong wind, never suffered any marks or prop damage yet. I’ve tried the Sunnylife motor caps to raise the props, they do lift them but they are terrible and you can bind your props if not careful. I’ve got another cover design due Monday, and also UHMW tape to try on the arms. I’ll post a link to the other ongoing link started by OMM.

starz you may wish to keep an eye on this thread

starz you may wish to keep an eye on this thread
Interesting that his is on the opposite side. Certainly worse than mine, but sounds like a bit more aggressive flying than what I normally do. Based on his pics, those screws are pretty darn tough!

And here is where the prop hits.

It appears your clearance is the same as mine...does it only hit under maneuvers or does it hit during hover too? Reading about the twisting issue when I flew mine I focused on the “Mavic Mini” words on the front left arm...I was thinking if they were twisting the words would blur. Can you try that? Another thing to check is that the motors are not loose...and also the screws under the arm. I can see how twisting could cause the damage on the front but the damage on the arm seems like it wouldn’t be caused by twisting. I wish we could fly ours side by side to figure this out...

My eyes would not be able to see if the arm is flexing in flight. It would be possible to mount a small video camera at a point that would see the effected area using some Velcro in the appropriate place. Not sure I want to spend the time researching something that DJI should be doing. They may already be for all I know. I think there are three possible answers to this issue. Number one is the prop itself. Too flexible? I do find it interesting that it is always the same prop on just one side of the motor. I have a small dot on the side of the motor case to keep track. Number two would be the arm. As we have seen, it can be either left or right side. The degree of the scarring and the damage to the prop I believe is tied to how aggressive the operator is in the flying that’s done. I could try the full throttle sport mode and see how much damage it could withstand but I don’t think that will gain any solution. A prop strike is a prop strike. Anything other than air is not acceptable. Number three is a real shot in the dark. Possibly a glitch in the hardware that kicks the nose up for a fraction of a second and the props can’t compensate? I have noticed that when I hear the click sound, it seems like I see a little quick angle change like the nose jumps up. I could be wrong here, as I haven’t done any real testing to make a solid determination. Just something that I noticed.
I have sent DJI a note that I’m not finished with this and I’ll wait to hear back from them. Probably going back in a box headed towards Cerritos.
This time, I will remove the left front props so the “test team” will have to install their own and see what I have been seeing.
Anyway, here we go again.

Did you check that the arm and motor are tight? I’ve been flying aggressive in sport mode to try to cause it and so far no damage...maybe I’ll try to take a slow motion video using my wife’s iPhone later...

Looking at the photo, the left prop (shown on right side of photo) looks higher than the other. Is the other prop half the same?

Looking at the photo, the left prop (shown on right side of photo) looks higher than the other. Is the other prop half the same?
I’ll check. So far the prop that takes the hit is always the same one. The opposing prop remains untouched.

Nicked prop is the one with the green arrow.

The same prop getting damaged on the same motor is a huge clue. I saw earlier you mentioned a bent screw, did you replace it? Is the screw exactly the same? In one picture I can’t tell if it is the lighting but one screw looks farther down (recesses) than the other. Do both props on the same motor displace the same amount with same force? Is one prop looser than the other?

Screws replaced along with props. Screw source is package in DJI kit. Screws are seated correctly. I have remarked one of the pictures from post #78 to show the location of where this prop hits.917E7EB4-1635-4B0A-93DF-D510F578AB67.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78