DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Piece of CRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this may sound dumb, but what software are you using?
I noted on my android there is DJI Go and DJI Go 4 with the earlier one I think being for earlier drones, I am wondering if you have the correct software.
I have found myself that if the software won't connect, which happens time to time as I just kinda turn everything on in the order that entertains me at the moment that rebooting the Mavic itself works well.
If the Mavic controller is connecting to the mavic and it is simply the software being an issue. and look, I get it, it is frustrating and then everyone bitches at ya.
The thing is, your gonna love the craft. The reason everyone gets snippy is we all more or less think they are awesome.
using dji 4 go

You installed firmware without being able to connect the display device? That must have been difficult.
This is a good point. I find it difficult to believe firmware was updated without everything being connected.

So here are my step-by-step instructions:
  1. Do whatever you did to update the firmware, because that clearly works.
Alternatively,
  1. Plug your phone of choice into the controller using either the port on the side of the controller or the bottom. Whichever port you use, don't have anything plugged into the other one. And since you have two Mavics, make sure you're using the right controller with the right drone.
  2. Turn on the controller, then launch the DJI Go 4 app on your phone. In DJI Go 4, select Mavic Pro from the drop-down menu and select Enter device.
  3. Power on the Mavic. After a few seconds it will connect to the controller.
If it doesn't, tell us exactly what error message you're getting or what is or is not happening.

Reactions: Oconnb910
I live in an authorization zone. I was able to get the Mavic to connect to the controller and my phone. However, despite my account telling me that my unlocking was valid, DJI 4Go would not connect. Sometimes I got a "failed to synch. notice, sometimes I couldn't find the unlocking section unless I rebooted the Go4 app.
Did you ever take your Mavic outside the authorization zone to see if it would work so you could isolate whether that was the problem or if you had a hardware problem? I find it hard to believe a small-town airport would be causing the issue. I've been able to fly 2 miles from an international airport (with permission from the tower) without having to do anything but check a box in DJI Go.

Ouch. Do you need some ointment for that burn? :)
burns only work when the person saying it, is actually someone important or useful. You and the other 'burner' are neither. (p.s.- that IS a burn)

So both are not working and having the same problems?

If it's connecting that's the main issue, ensure that the WiFi / RC switch is set to RC, as per post # 14 at 0:35 secs.
You may have watched this and already checked, but it could be an obvious problem.
I recall mine arrived in RC mode, most would I would imagine, but worth a look, or maybe you flocked it thinking it needed to be in wifi mode.

If I had a hardware problem it would have gone the same way. It is brand new and never been flown. But the software running on both my iPhone 6 and new iPad was very flakey.

I just have to weigh in here. I just returned my Mavic. Just so you know, I am an electronic engineer and have a software background having run multiple software companies.
I live in an authorization zone. I was able to get the Mavic to connect to the controller and my phone. However, despite my account telling me that my unlocking was valid, DJI 4Go would not connect. Sometimes I got a "failed to synch. notice, sometimes I couldn't find the unlocking section unless I rebooted the Go4 app. After about two long 10 hour days and contacting DJI support who told me to send an email to [email protected] with no response. Yes, I know it's Christmas.
The hardware seems to be very good. But to have to go to third party software to just fly a drone on my own 10 acre piece of property and not have it work with DJI software seems a bit much. I live in a small town about 3 miles from a small town airport.
Gandk452, is right, it is a piece of crap. For this kind of money it ought to work. Given the amount of noise I see on these forums, I really can't understand why everyone puts up with this. Some competitor could make a killing with some reverse engineered software.

Thanks for the reply, I too am very computer literate, and both of my boys have degrees in electronics. I am on 5 acres with no airport around. bascially the rc and the drone speak to each other, but does not speak to the software. Thanks for the input

burns only work when the person saying it, is actually someone important or useful. You and the other 'burner' are neither. (p.s.- that IS a burn)

Heh. You’ve contradicted yourself by your own definition. So cute you are.

My suggestion would be to turn airplane mode on your phone and see if it gets a stable connection

Last edited:
Reactions: ssvdh66
not going to

yes, very cute.
If I could make a gentle suggestion -- perhaps back away from this forum and cool off a bit.

I understand how frustrated the experience has made you, but venting in this forum -- a place full of people who genuinely want to help -- has created an adversarial discussion. Nobody is learning anything -- it's just a battle now.

Maybe come back tomorrow with a cooler head? Maybe even register a new account so that today's battles don't become tomorrow's battles?

I'd jump in with some things that might be helpful to you, but I want to stay clear of all the rancor here.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for being constructive- I turn on mavic then controller, connects to mavic, then plugged into phone. no message to launch the app- so i even restart the phone at this point (plugged in still)- it then says 'version check'- comparing with server', it connects briefly but then it says move aircraft- but when i do it becomes disconnected,or it says 'calibrate compass'- then it goes right to 'disconnected.'

I'm not sure this sounds correct. The controller connects to the Mavic, you plug in the phone and the app does not auto launch? Okay, I could see that. But then you restart the phone? Why restart the phone instead of simply starting up the app manually? Okay, so you restart the phone and and then all of a sudden something displays "version check"? What displays "version check"? Something briefly connects? What connects? The app? If the app, so it did launch for some reason?

Reactions: Qoncussion
Thanks for the reply, I too am very computer literate, and both of my boys have degrees in electronics. I am on 5 acres with no airport around. bascially the rc and the drone speak to each other, but does not speak to the software. Thanks for the input
Try going to your phone settings and enable USB debugging. I hear that fixes many connectivity problems, especially on a pixel.

Reactions: Oconnb910
For what it's worth ~the DJI servers are overloaded and often off-line today. This may be the cause for some of the OP's grief today.
my issue earlier where virtually nothing worked was because i was around too many electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J