DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PLEASE HELP ME!! :( :(

There must be malicious or errant code in DJI's products causing some of these flyaways. Maybe a disgruntled employee deep rooted some random algorithm before being fired. Two IMUs, Two compasses, sensors galore and people are watching their expensive birds fly off. These stories may be rare but they don't inspire confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There must be malicious or errant code in DJI's products causing some of these flyaways. Maybe a disgruntled employee deep rooted some random algorithm before being fired. Two IMUs, Two compasses, sensors galore and people are watching their expensive birds fly off. These stories may be rare but they don't inspire confidence.

I love the story time. What happened to the DJI employee? Was he fired and now works making Chow Mein at his brothers restaurant?

Reactions: Loz

imho the best chance you would have with DJI accepting any fault, is if the Mavic itself were retrieved and the logs from the aircraft could be evaluated for possible failures or anomalies that led to your loss. Only the info until the point of connection loss are available on the remote. The logs you have provided so far just show there was a loss of GPS connection, and because it was no longer visible to you, you were unable to continue flight in ATTI mode to reestablish GPS connection and/or land the aircraft safely. So the Mavic would then have to resort to failsafe RTH, which has a lot of potential for failure if the correct RTH height isn't set, and if the forward vision sensors were not activated etc. It wouldn't hurt to get DJI involved if you can't find it. I believe more detailed data can be obtained from the remote, and DJI will request that info be provided to them to try to determine what happened.

Not likely. Most "fly aways" I've seen are user inspired

You have nothing to loose and could only gain if submitting your fight logs to DJI. Be prepared for a denial.

Marco Polo and Statefarm insurance for the next one.

100% agree that a Marco Polo or equivalent tracking device is a must have if you plan on flying even a relative short distance from home point. Finding the Mavic, even a short distance away in bush/trees/long grass/neighbors yard etc isn't going to be an easy task. I believe you need the actual Mavic, or what's left of it for any DJI Care Refresh claims. Remember a lot of the drone tracking devices require some sort of cell service (not the Marco Polo), so keep that in mind as you formulate the best tracking method for the locations you want to fly at.

Could this be another full-strength GPS going to unusable in seconds due to the high rpm/current that snows the rear compass? Prior to the latest firmware, the noise on the rear compass would cause the MP to switch to atti mode and drift. I remember reading a post from someone who lost his MP and DJI covered the replacement. But that was before the firmware fix. Definitely get your txt logs to DJI.

imho the best chance you would have with DJI accepting any fault, is if the Mavic itself were retrieved and the logs from the aircraft could be evaluated for possible failures or anomalies that led to your loss. Only the info until the point of connection loss are available on the remote. The logs you have provided so far just show there was a loss of GPS connection, and because it was no longer visible to you, you were unable to continue flight in ATTI mode to reestablish GPS connection and/or land the aircraft safely. So the Mavic would then have to resort to failsafe RTH, which has a lot of potential for failure if the correct RTH height isn't set, and if the forward vision sensors were not activated etc. It wouldn't hurt to get DJI involved if you can't find it. I believe more detailed data can be obtained from the remote, and DJI will request that info be provided to them to try to determine what happened.

I also lost remote connection and video feed at the same time, that seems pretty suspicious timing to me....

I've given them all the info they have asked for and now I'm hoping and praying that they say I can have a new one, otherwise I'll simply HAVE to buy a new one! Can't be without it again

Could this be another full-strength GPS going to unusable in seconds due to the high rpm/current that snows the rear compass? Prior to the latest firmware, the noise on the rear compass would cause the MP to switch to atti mode and drift. I remember reading a post from someone who lost his MP and DJI covered the replacement. But that was before the firmware fix. Definitely get your txt logs to DJI.
@Steve Cam when you submit your .txt log to DJI be sure and tell them there was a TBE at time 841. That being the case DJI may cover this incident under warranty
upload_2016-12-26_4-36-38.png

I should know better but I'll speculate that your Mavic is somewhere close to the end of the recorded GPS coords. I.e., at the end of the red line.

@Steve Cam when you submit your .txt log to DJI be sure and tell them there was a TBE at time 841. That being the case DJI may cover this incident under warranty
View attachment 3041

I should know better but I'll speculate that your Mavic is somewhere close to the end of the recorded GPS coords. I.e., at the end of the red line.

What's a tbe? And won't they automatically know it just as you did?

Thanks for the help, that's some good news! Bit of relief for me!

you were over 1.5 miles out. Once you lose line of sight, all bets are off. I noticed you went well over 400 feet? Obviously you turned off your limits. What other major settings did you change? If you find it, don't break rule one or two (visual and line of sight) in a heavily urban area and you will have better results. Bummer.
Seriously? 1.5 miles away, no visual line of sight, flying over a densly populated area, flighting above 400 ft AGL, and didn't bother to register and make your UAV with an FAA number? Were you kicking your dog or smacking your girl friend around at the same time?

No offense Steve, but you broke so many rules that give law abiding UAV ops a bad name I lack the motivation to assist. That said I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I know it's a big deal.

Reactions: djorgen
What's a tbe? And won't they automatically know it just as you did?

Thanks for the help, that's some good news! Bit of relief for me!
Toilet Bowl Event. So called because the AC is swirling around about a point. There have been quite a few TBEs with the Mavic. As @erkme73 pointed out many of these TBEs have been associated with high current causing back compass problems. This incident doesn't feel like that to me, IMHO. But, never the less, a TBE shouldn't happen and that's why DJI may cover it under warranty.

There have been several cases where DJI didn't get it at first. They are a large company and you don't always get the right person on first contact.

And, if you do recover your Mavic I'd really like to have the .DAT for this flight.

If ONE risk taking dronie picks up my message in that post; that safety and following regulations should always be #1, I'll be overjoyed. :)

Anyho - Merry Christmas and fly safely! :)
I am so with you. I don't know how politely pointing out the importance of safety can possibly be confused with bashing. Sounds like SkyHigh just doesn't like you.

@rmb , @djorgen if making these points is so important to you guys why don't you start a thread devoted to this subject. I have my doubts that your comments will have much effect on pilot behavior whereas a thread devoted to the subject might have a positive effect. Waiting until the opportunity to bash someone to make these points has the negative effect of discouraging pilots from reporting and getting help for incidents. I routinely get private requests for assistance with incidents because the pilot doesn't want to face the snark storm that sometimes happens. Thank you.

View attachment 3041

@BudWalker that pattern looks eerily similar. Spinning while the GPS and compass try to reconcile their differences, and shooting off in one direction (like a kid flying off a merry-go-round) once the flight controller gives up on GPS and switches to atti mode. I had exactly the same experience directly overhead after sunset and while recording (no leds visible on the MP) and nearly lost it as it shot off at 12 mph.

Seriously? 1.5 miles away, no visual line of sight, flying over a densly populated area, flighting above 400 ft AGL, and didn't bother to register and make your UAV with an FAA number? Were you kicking your dog or smacking your girl friend around at the same time?

No offense Steve, but you broke so many rules that give law abiding UAV ops a bad name I lack the motivation to assist. That said I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I know it's a big deal.

There's no requirement to register with the FAA in Canada. The law here is to fly below 400 ft and at 377, correct me if my math is wrong, but I believe 377 is less than 400. How you can possibly compare this flight to domestic abuse shows me that your post was more for shock value than about any serious indignation. So round of applause, you were shocking and I hang my wife beating head in shame at your masterfully crafted rebuke.

I think you took my tongue-in-check comments way to seriously Steve. (Except for the one where I said that I was sincerely sorry for your loss)
And yes it was for effect, not to offend. That said as a guy that takes the responsibility of basically flying a high speed blender near people very seriously, I do tire of the countless posts that clearly illustrate that the only reason why no one was seriously injured was good fortune and not pilot awareness and the forward thinking that what they are doing is either illegal, unsafe or both. That said, Please accept my apology. I should have thought better of my word choices.

I think you took my tongue-in-check comments way to seriously Steve. (Except for the one where I said that I was sincerely sorry for your loss)
And yes it was for effect, not to offend. That said as a guy that takes the responsibility of basically flying a high speed blender near people very seriously, I do tire of the countless posts that clearly illustrate that the only reason why no one was seriously injured was good fortune and not pilot awareness and the forward thinking that what they are doing is either illegal, unsafe or both. That said, Please accept my apology. I should have thought better of my word choices.

s'all good internet brother of mine! im not offended. Living in a densely populated area with a shiny new mavic pro poses its own challenges, its nice to wait to use it when youre in remote areas etc but in practice, not so easy to just make awkward eye contact with it sitting on your desk begging to be used! once its in the air, you just want to push it further each time you fly, this time it was headed from my office to close to my home area which was the plan on this mission, sadly, it didnt feel like coming back to my office. I do take it seriously, i guess i just overestimated its capabilites and relied on it to keep people and propert safe a little too much. Lesson learnt, if i ever get to take one out again, it will be on a leash with a long spool so i can pull it back if theres a problem! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569