DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please school me on iPads

Ok, I'll admit I'm wrong, didn't want to force it but yes it does fit, BUT it wiggles a bit and put your (well, mine) hands in an unnatural position, does not feel very comfortable at all.. so for my piece of mind I'll stick with the skytreat.

I see what you're saying

Tried stretching out the arms as shown in the video and the hand position just feels unnatural

I can see myself getting a MavMount type of mount, which is why I'm actually kinda leaning towards an iPad air 2 instead of the Mini 4

I see them listed locally for much less than the Mini 4, but I've also read that they were discontinued and replaced with the iPad 9.7 (no more "air"??), which is probably why they're selling cheaper.

If the seller is able to provide u with the serial number (most likely they won't tell u before u purchase it), type them here
Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
Might tell u the condition
Activated/black market/no warranty

Just curious, but since I'm scoping out EBay and Craigslist, the chances of me getting a stolen iPad is quite possible.

If I ever needed service or support, would I be blacklisted if it was reported stolen?

First off, I have to say I despise Apple products, but mainly because I don't have any :oops:

Never had an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc., although, I did use an old iMac G3 for target practice o_O

I'm currently using my Samsung Note Edge and although it shows virtually zero lag, the app has shut down in flight on numerous occasions :oops:

I'd like to get a dedicated tablet with a larger display and from what I've read, the iPad mini is the way to go, so I guess I'l be going to the dark side ;)

Thing is, a new Mini4 is well above my price range and I'm not sure if the lower models will be enough for my needs :confused:

I set my budget at around $120 and have seen several Mini2/16GB/Wifi models going for that on EBay.

Has anyone here experienced any lag, app crashing or other issues with this model?

Do I really need for than 16GB?

What exactly do I lose by going with a Wifi only mini as opposed to a cellular mini?

On the cellular models, can I just pop in any sim card or is it Apple/cell provider specific?
You will need a mini 4 or anything with the A8 processor. The previous models with the A7 have been having video issues since the new updates. The DJI GO 4 app is a process hog. Concerning memory, if you only use the Ipad for flying 16/32 gigs is fine . If it will be your "Tablet" then consider more. Started with a mini 2 and had to upgrade with the changes.

I see them listed locally for much less than the Mini 4, but I've also read that they were discontinued and replaced with the iPad 9.7 (no more "air"??), which is probably why they're selling cheaper.
I read somewhere that ipad mini 4 will be the last of the mini line

If I ever needed service or support, would I be blacklisted if it was reported stolen?
This, i do not know
But basically if the device is not linked to the previous owner apple id anymore (signed out), it would be illogical for apple to believe it is stolen as we need to input the password to sign out an apple id from an apple device

Thanks for the info.

So you're saying I'd be able to use all the other flight features a cellular model would provide if I just connect to my phone as a hot spot?

Yes, I will only be using this for the MP and nothing else, so 16GB it is.

Has anyone here experienced any flight issues using a Mini2? (app crash, lag, etc.)

Some of the IFMs won't work without the GPS which is only in the more expensive cellular models as Snake Eater pointed out.
I know you won't be able to change your Home Point in mid-flight, I believe Follow Me won't work & a few others. Plus Maps.

I know you won't be able to change your Home Point in mid-flight, I believe Follow Me won't work & a few others. Plus Maps.
This is not correct. Please see this post above for more information about the features that won't work without GPS on the mobile device.

First off, I have to say I despise Apple products, but mainly because I don't have any :oops:

Never had an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc., although, I did use an old iMac G3 for target practice o_O

I'm currently using my Samsung Note Edge and although it shows virtually zero lag, the app has shut down in flight on numerous occasions :oops:

I'd like to get a dedicated tablet with a larger display and from what I've read, the iPad mini is the way to go, so I guess I'l be going to the dark side ;)

Thing is, a new Mini4 is well above my price range and I'm not sure if the lower models will be enough for my needs :confused:

I set my budget at around $120 and have seen several Mini2/16GB/Wifi models going for that on EBay.

Has anyone here experienced any lag, app crashing or other issues with this model?

Do I really need for than 16GB?

What exactly do I lose by going with a Wifi only mini as opposed to a cellular mini?

On the cellular models, can I just pop in any sim card or is it Apple/cell provider specific?
You can use an IPad without Cellular data, all you lose is the Satelite maps view but you can just turn it on and go to the area you want to fly and it will cache the map as long as you leave the iPad on. If you short on budget see if you can find a refurb iPad Air 2, it has plenty of power, almost identical to the iPad MiNi 4

Do not let anyone tell you that the GPS will not work, GPS is built into the Mavic Pro.... just make sure you open the app on WiFi and sign-in and after that you do not need network access. I have the WiFi only Mini 4 and love it, it works perfectly with no lag or connection issues. The iPad Air 2 will be fine as well but a little cheaper and bigger screen. I use the Mav-Mount to hold my Mini 4 and the same mount will hold the iPad Air 2

[QUOTE="Jake37, post: 299281, member: 29046"]You can use an IPad without Cellular data, all you lose is the Satelite maps view but you can just turn it on and go to the area you want to fly and it will cache the map as long as you leave the iPad on. If you short on budget see if you can find a refurb iPad Air 2, it has plenty of power, almost identical to the iPad MiNi 4

Do not let anyone tell you that the GPS will not work, GPS is built into the Mavic Pro.... just make sure you open the app on WiFi and sign-in and after that you do not need network access. I have the WiFi only Mini 4 and love it, it works perfectly with no lag or connection issues. The iPad Air 2 will be fine as well but a little cheaper and bigger screen. I use the Mav-Mount to hold my Mini 4 and the same mount will hold the iPad Air 2[/QUOTE]

This is correct.
WIFI only models show GPS maps. Plenty of miss information around about this.

Do not let anyone tell you that the GPS will not work, GPS is built into the Mavic Pro.... just make sure you open the app on WiFi and sign-in and after that you do not need network access. I have the WiFi only Mini 4 and love it, it works perfectly with no lag or connection issues. The iPad Air 2 will be fine as well but a little cheaper and bigger screen. I use the Mav-Mount to hold my Mini 4 and the same mount will hold the iPad Air 2

GPS "works" is relative to what one considers acceptable in terms of accuracy. The Mini4 without cellular is not 100% accurate if setting the Home Point using the position of the RC (iPad) where actual position without GPS can be off by as much as 40' even if the MP is sitting right in front of you.

Now it might not matter for those who have a huge, flat field to land on, but up to 40' of variance in tight terrain could translate to kissing the MP goodbye if RTH is set to the RC location. Off a cliff, into the side of a hill, in water, etc. Folks will probably get the idea but best to provide all of the potential pitfalls of not having the GPS chip to let them decide whether the trade off is worth it for their usage.

I did a lot of research after flying with my iPhone 7 plus. I definitely needed a larger screen. I opted for the mini4 with cellular and using the hotspot feature in my iPhone to connect the mini4 to my iPhone. Those that seem to shun the apple products might see some of the comments about the stability of IOS vs Android. So far, I have found absolutely no issues in flying with the DJI Go 4 app and either the iPhone or Mini 4.

Reactions: Paulbee
I see what you're saying

Tried stretching out the arms as shown in the video and the hand position just feels unnatural

I can see myself getting a MavMount type of mount, which is why I'm actually kinda leaning towards an iPad air 2 instead of the Mini 4

Just curious, but since I'm scoping out EBay and Craigslist, the chances of me getting a stolen iPad is quite possible.

As far as Craigslist goes, when I bought a couple of ipads on CL, I met both sellers at the local Apple store and they checked the tablets for me so I had piece of mind.
EBay is impossible to do that.

As far as Craigslist goes, when I bought a couple of ipads on CL, I met both sellers at the local Apple store and they checked the tablets for me so I had piece of mind.
EBay is impossible to do that.

I almost got burned on Craigslist today....

Found this Air2 32GB + cell in Newark

GREAT IPAD AIR2 32GB WIFI + CELLULAR

Looked good and I managed to get him down to $200, but after reading through the specs, I realized it was for an Air, not an Air2.

We text back and forth and he swears up and down that it's an Air2 and that he just copied and pasted the wrong info, so I ask him for a snap shot of the info page and sure enough when I entered the serial number on Google, it was a regular Air.

He tells me he's sorry he was mistaken and would knock off $20 bucks lol

Still on the hunt

OK, I've found a couple that say they have an iCloud lock on them

Is this a major issue or can it be bypassed easily?

Bypassed easily if the original password can be obtained. I would pass due to the likelihood that it is stolen or a lost/found that was never returned to the original owner.

You either need the password or have to go into apple to have them unlock it BUT, they don't just unlock it. You have to know the email and security questions. They also run the serial numbers to check if it's stolen. I went through all that when I forgot the email password and it locked me out.

After dealing with a few yahoos on Craigslist these past few days, I just said screw it and picked up an Air2 off of EBay that's still under warranty.

A bit more than I originally wanted to spend, but oh well...

Just hope it doesn't have any issues

After dealing with a few yahoos on Craigslist these past few days, I just said screw it and picked up an Air2 off of EBay that's still under warranty.

Apple stuff is pretty rock solid. Can't really go wrong unless you buy a fake.

Even on eBay be sure who you're buying from.

May I be the first to welcome you to herd of apple sheep buddy.

OK, so I bought the iPad using my phone while at work last night and didn't get a good look at the specs until I fired up my laptop this morning.

It's supposed to be an iPad Air 2 16GB + cellular unlocked for any GSM carrier, but looking at this photo, it appears to be a 32GB model (I think)

s-l1600.jpg

Also, for some reason, the serial number doesn't show anything when I look it up :oops:

Am I getting boned here?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa