DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Port of Miami and South Point Sunrise,South Beach,Miami Beach

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This video required a 4:00 AM wake up, and a 30 minute ride to South Beach and South Point Park. The cruise ship schedules are published and there are usually at least 2 or 3 ships arriving every Saturday and Sunday morning, as well as in the early evenings. I hoped to capture the arrivals in the dark and the sunrise at South Point Park, the farthest point of Miami Beach. This film is 2:32 minutes and contains stills, drone videos, drone stills, and timelapse videos. Hope you enjoy. As always, please view in full screen (press the 4 arrows box, lower right side of the image). Comments always welcome.

Last edited:
Brings back memories, I sailed through that cut many a time. Back then the pier had not been built and that rock jetty was where all the nudists sun bathed.
I. checked out your website and portfolio. Favorites are the cracked egg and the eyeball inside the litchi nut. Great stuff. Landscapes section my fav.

Dale

Beautiful work Dale.

That hyperlapse was simply AWESOME sir :)

Beautiful work Dale.

That hyperlapse was simply AWESOME sir :)
Many thanks Al!

It was actually a timelapse if you are talking about the ending sunrise sequences. A hyperlapse is where the camera moves. Here, the cameras were on tripods.

Here is tech if you want to know:

I set up two cameras on tripods. Both cameras were Nikon DSLR's with the same lens on each. I shot two views, one a longer view to make the sun look larger (zoomed in on the place where the sun was going to appear). The other lens was a wide shot. These Nikon bodies have a built in intervalometer. My settings were
Auto
Focus subject then turn focus off, off to avoid flicker
F/8
ISO 100
Interval between shots 3 seconds
Number of shots- about 700 each camera
The shots were then processed using both LRTimelapse (www.LRTimelapse.com) and Lightroom Class (LrC) and rendered in the LRTimelapse render engine.

The ships in the channel were also timelapses (tripods) , and drone video.

Dale

It's not really a drone video... Maybe you could have done some hyperlapses. At two or three important moments of the video the camera was not stable. Maybe you could have improved the color in post too...

Reactions: Jet skier
It's not really a drone video... Maybe you could have done some hyperlapses. At two or three important moments of the video the camera was not stable. Maybe you could have improved the color in post too...
Were you actually viewing the drone videos of the channel to the ocean with all of the ships, and the high views of the buildings, and the pier. My style is to combine all mediums, including drone video, drone stills, timelapses, regular images ,etc. I'd say that about half of the film was shot from a drone.

This video required a 4:00 AM wake up, and a 30 minute ride to South Beach and South Point Park. The cruise ship schedules are published and there are usually at least 2 or 3 ships arriving every Saturday and Sunday morning, as well as in the early evenings. I hoped to capture the arrivals in the dark and the sunrise at South Point Parl, the farthest point of Miami Beach. This film is 2:32 minutes and contains stills, drone videos, drone stills, and timelapse videos. Hope you enjoy. As always, please view in full screen (press the 4 arrows box, lower right side of the image). Comments always welcome.
Those were Cool looking time lapses but I’m not sure I saw any drone videos do you ever do hyper lapses with drone ?

Those were Cool looking time lapses but I’m not sure I saw any drone videos do you ever do hyper lapses with drone ?
Why am I not understanding these posts? Can you guys NOT see the drone videos and stills? The ships in the channel were mostly drone shots but from the level of the ship rather than up high. This is also an air route for the Chalks Sea Plane services from the Bahamas. I made that decision to keep the drone low. You are thinking that these videos were shot from ground level but they were shot from inside the channel and away from shore.

Again, my videos are not limited to drone only. They are comprised of multi-media shots, including drone video, drone stills, DSLR stills, iPhone stills, iPhone videos, iPhone hyper lapses.etc.

And yes, I do hyper lapses with the drone but as previously documented in this forum many times, my Mavic 2 Pro really is not able to do hyper lapses without a terrible wobble, despite a DJI service call and a DJIRefresh charged against my account. One reason alone for me to got to the M3 eventually.

Besides commenting about whether or not there were drone shots, has anyone anything else to comment on?

Rant over.

Dale

Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Dale D your work never ceases to astonish. That time-lapse sunrise at 2:00 is one of the best I've seen on earth! Watching the people gather to get some was simply moving. You've been doing this a looong time my friend . . . to anyone who thinks the M2P has seen her last days . . . just watch in awe. Spectacular bird.

I did comment positively, do you think it's your drone itself that wobbles or the two pro in general that wobbles ? I haven't done that many hyper lapses with my Mavic two pro but I have done some and they don't wobble much if any but I pick days that are not very windy at all and I get very good results and I also run it through stabilizer on final cut. If I'm not mistaken you are in Miami and there is a constant 15 mile an hour tradewind right so that might be tough. Keep up the good work

I did comment positively, do you think it's your drone itself that wobbles or the two pro in general that wobbles ? I haven't done that many hyper lapses with my Mavic two pro but I have done some and they don't wobble much if any but I pick days that are not very windy at all and I get very good results and I also run it through stabilizer on final cut. If I'm not mistaken you are in Miami and there is a constant 15 mile an hour tradewind right so that might be tough. Keep up the good work
Hi Jet Skier:

Sad to say, my wobble problems date back for years. I'm convinced it is my Mavic 2 Pro. It is definitely NOT wind, as everyone is quick to point out. I queried this forum several years ago, tried warp stabilization in Premiere, and in Adobe After Effects to no avail.I sent the M2 P to Texas with a video showing the wobble and they "checked it out" and said nothing was wrong.I wasted a Refresh. I got the same bird back. Every single time I try a hyperlapse, low or high, without wind, the video wobbles. I am super jealous of all the great hyper lapses I see on this panel but alas, not for me.

So just to be sure you all know, those sunrise timelapses you are seeing are from a DSLR on a tripod, not the M2P.

My eventual solution to this problem will be the M3 I think.

Dale
Miami

Dale D your work never ceases to astonish. That time-lapse sunrise at 2:00 is one of the best I've seen on earth! Watching the people gather to get some was simply moving. You've been doing this a looong time my friend . . . to anyone who thinks the M2P has seen her last days . . . just watch in awe. Spectacular bird.
Thanks James! I thought that sunrise was super dramatic. And with that music, it seems as though the Lord himself was performing. (I am not a religious person). The key on this sunrise was to STAY with it. I usually pull the plug too soon. I am learning to let the camera run longer and for the sun to get above those horizon clouds.

Dale

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Thanks James! I thought that sunrise was super dramatic. And with that music, it seems as though the Lord himself was performing. (I am not a religious person). The key on this sunrise was to STAY with it. I usually pull the plug too soon. I am learning to let the camera run longer and for the sun to get above those horizon clouds.

Dale
Bravo sir . . . well done! Yes, the music bed was spot on!

Hi Jet Skier:

Sad to say, my wobble problems date back for years. I'm convinced it is my Mavic 2 Pro. It is definitely NOT wind, as everyone is quick to point out. I queried this forum several years ago, tried warp stabilization in Premiere, and in Adobe After Effects to no avail.I sent the M2 P to Texas with a video showing the wobble and they "checked it out" and said nothing was wrong.I wasted a Refresh. I got the same bird back. Every single time I try a hyperlapse, low or high, without wind, the video wobbles. I am super jealous of all the great hyper lapses I see on this panel but alas, not for me.

So just to be sure you all know, those sunrise timelapses you are seeing are from a DSLR on a tripod, not the M2P.

My eventual solution to this problem will be the M3 I think.

Dale
Miami
Yeah that’s too bad if I could get or afford three I would get one but I am on my third Mavic two pro and it works beautifully . The bummer about the mavic three is that it does not have waypoints so I’m not sure if that means it can’t do Hyperlapse or not since it uses the same type of software

Dale,

Always enjoy your videos but have one suggestion. When the stills come up, they seem to be a hard stop after the videos. I suggest adding a “Ken Burns” effect to each still to smooth out the video.

Bill

Dale,

Always enjoy your videos but have one suggestion. When the stills come up, they seem to be a hard stop after the videos. I suggest adding a “Ken Burns” effect to each still to smooth out the video.

Bill
Hi Bill:

It's a good thought! I actually considered Ken Burns effects, but my stills clips are very short- actually only about 2 seconds. I used to make the stills clips 3 seconds but I found that was a too long. The 3 second clips allow the time for the Ken Burns to evolve but in 2 seconds, it is tough, I use the 2 second intervals to include more images and save overall clip time. People get bored if I show too many stills in a row so I try to mitigate that by making the stills shorter.

I try to soften the transition from video to stills with a crossfade.

Dale

Miami is a city unlike any other. Its been too long since I've boarded a cruise ship at its port. Hopefully the world will get on track and things will normalize soon. Until that happens, I rely on videos such as yours, past and future, to bridge the time until I can visit once again.

Miami is a city unlike any other. Its been too long since I've boarded a cruise ship at its port. Hopefully the world will get on track and things will normalize soon. Until that happens, I rely on videos such as yours, past and future, to bridge the time until I can visit once again.
Living in Minnesota, I can really empathize! As a boy living in Chicago, my dad took me annually every summer to Ely,MN. for walleye, northern pike and a rare muskie fishing trip. On my honeymoon, my new wife and I did a canoe trip in the Boundary Waters. But, man, it really does get cold up there!

Miami is quite unique. It is the crossroads of trade with South and Central America,has a huge port, has a multilingual population with lots of great ethnic restaurants, a melting pot of peoples of the world. My 15 home neighborhood neighbors hail from Brazil, Nicaragua, Jamaica, Stuttgart, Argentina, Cuba, and Viet Nam!(these are >2.5 mil and up homes!). There is tremendous wealth here and of course poverty. There is no lack of things to do and see and fly over. The drone rules are quite lenient as you can tell my my Vimeo videos page.

Well Dale as you're retired and entitled to sleep in late but thanks goodness you got up at 0400.
I like how you get out there and aren't afraid to try various things and at the end of the day simple criteria is is it watchable. Bet your booties! Heaps to see for those interested in effects and those who just want to watch.
Like the last couple of shots with the runner stretching and then the cat finishing it off doing a similar thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13