DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

droneduder

Reactions
First post, been reading about Mavics for the past week.
TLDR;
I own a DIY quad racer running Omnibus F4 using Betaflight and DIY 550 hex with gimbal and HD cam running a Pixhawk and using Ardupilot. My FPV has been limited to crappy eachine goggles.
Needless to say I have countless hours working on each of these platforms but I never really got them to where I wanted them. I want high definition FPV with OSD on a platform that is easy to control and take HD video (doesn't everyone?). (I do realize I was never going to get to this goal with my current drones.)
I've also spent WAY more time tinkering than flying and while I enjoy tinkering, I'd rather be out flying, weather permitting.

I've been comparing all the DJI options and have somewhat settled on the M2Z. The range, sensors, ease of use, portability and other features look great. With an educational discount, I can get the M2Z with the Goggles RE for a tad over $1500. Tack on the fly more kit and the DJI care and I'm right at $2K for the everything.

However, it is my understanding that DJI still hasn't resolved the range issues with the Goggles RE and as far as I can tell, no rumors of a fix in sight. I have read posts from many others who have bought this kit and are far from satisfied but don't know if they are in the minority or if this is an issue for everyone with this combo?

Do you think DJI will ever resolve this issue? Would you recommend a different platform or goggles? Mavic Pro Platinum with white goggles?

Like others, I like the idea of potentially using the RE goggles to FPV fly my other drones but not at the cost of quality HD video transmission at range with the M2Z. It also makes me apprehensive to make a large "toy" purchase like this from a company who's product has yet to live up to its advertising, 6 months after release...

Thank you for your input!!!

Last edited:
When I looked at DJI educational discount it is telling me that it is NOT good for any Newly Launched products and names the Mavic 2, smart controller. Or any Low in Stock products. Am I right on this ?

Reactions: ff22
I'm surprised at so many views and no responses to my questions.

I guess my best angle of attack is to buy the M2Z and goggles RE separate so I can return the goggles if needed... Just wish I knew if this combo works for ANYONE???

I'm surprised at so many views and no responses to my questions.

I guess my best angle of attack is to buy the M2Z and goggles RE separate so I can return the goggles if needed... Just wish I knew if this combo works for ANYONE???

I don't have the goggles and don't know the answer. I have been reading a thread on the official DJI forum and there are a few UNhappy users who seem to be suffering "distance" limitations with the goggles. But others have said they have no issues. What to believe or what the differences.

So, you might be better served getting them separately making return easier.

Good luck with the decision.

Reactions: droneduder
I bought the exact combo you listed back in November. I had zero range problems with the RE's. My remote with phone would cut out video at almost exactly the same time.

Reactions: droneduder
I bought the exact combo you listed back in November. I had zero range problems with the RE's. My remote with phone would cut out video at almost exactly the same time.

Roughly what range were you able to get? All stock components?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds