DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re-editing Davinci Resolve project to upscale to 4k? Someone posted in another thread but I couldn't find it.

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Last week or perhaps the week earlier someone posted a method taking a project in Davinci Resolve where the original timeline was 1080p and spelled out how to rework it so that it could be upscaled to 4k as you can't just change the resolution on an existing project and must set it first.

Can anyone point me to that particular post or tell me how to do it? It had to do something like clearing the source data and changing the resolution somehow somewhere and then pointing to the original source data that had the higher resolution, but was dumbed down because (this numbskull) didn't think to start the project in 4k. Anyone?

Last edited:
Last week or perhaps the week earlier someone posted a method taking a project in Davinci Resolve where the original timeline was 1080p and spelled out how to rework it so that it could be upscaled to 4k as you can't just change the resolution on an existing project and must set it first.

Can anyone point me to that particular post or tell me how to do it? It had to do something like clearing the source data and changing the resolution somehow somewhere and then pointing to the original source data that had the higher resolution, but was dumbed down because (this numbskull) didn't think to start the project in 4k. Anyone?
I was in the process of trying to do what you said and then realized you can change the timeline resolution at any time no need to do whatever you were seeing. Lower right corner of the screen there’s a gear icon and its right there under general settings.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I was in the process of trying to do what you said and then realized you can change the timeline resolution at any time no need to do whatever you were seeing. Lower right corner of the screen there’s a gear icon and its right there under general settings.
Have you tried it? I was told/under the impression that once it was set it was set. I'm in the process of trying to re-render an original Mavic Mini clip to see if I could milk anything more out of it. The source obviously is 2.7k video, but I want to see if I can get any improvement from 1080p that I conservatively rendered in initially. I think I've also got a M2P project that I did the same thing. Living and learning.

Anyway, whether I needed to do it or not, I deleted all the clips in the media pool, changed the resolution, then re-imported the clips, which seemed to automatically re-link...except one that I had to go fishing for. Perhaps I'll try a direct resolution change and see if that works on my other project.

Update... I tried to job my memory as best I could, but I know I now have a 4k version which looks significantly better than original 1080p version, even though it was taken with a Mini that only had 2.7k capability. The question now remains, could I just switch the resolution in Resolve, or are the extra steps needed?

Did it work????

I re-edited the first video I did with my Mini that I'd rendered in 1080p and upscaled it to 4k. Granted the Mini only has a 2.7k resolution, but I *think* it has improved the quality. I don't have an HDR monitor, but a recently purchase Dell that is very good for its specifications. So here is an after and before comparison. What do you think?

Here is the video after converting to 4k...

And now the original 1080p rendering...

Have you tried it? I was told/under the impression that once it was set it was set. I'm in the process of trying to re-render an original Mavic Mini clip to see if I could milk anything more out of it. The source obviously is 2.7k video, but I want to see if I can get any improvement from 1080p that I conservatively rendered in initially. I think I've also got a M2P project that I did the same thing. Living and learning.

Anyway, whether I needed to do it or not, I deleted all the clips in the media pool, changed the resolution, then re-imported the clips, which seemed to automatically re-link...except one that I had to go fishing for. Perhaps I'll try a direct resolution change and see if that works on my other project.
Yea I tried it. Just change the resolution in the timeline settings and done.

I don’t know if this is only in the Studio version or not but you can set super-scaling so that it will actually try to re-sample the 2.7 k footage to 4k instead of just making the pixels larger. I’ve never tried this though, I always shoot in at least 4k and export in 4k.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead