Join Us Now

Review temp law on drone ban in National Parks

Do you support a conversation about drone flight in National Parks

• Heck Yes

Votes: 133 85.3%
  • No Way

Votes: 23 14.7%

• Total voters
A dilemma. We would all love to get those shots, but imagine a bus load of tourists getting out and flying drones! Banned in Australia for hobby flyers. Commercial operators can apply for permission. May need to be accompanied by a ranger. A fee may apply depending on who and what the footage is for. Whales are protected too, with the drone having to stay 300m away.

For those interested, here is an interesting document. It is the letter from the director RE the ban. What is interesting is that it specificly says the following:

"The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS. "

To:
The document is a policy memorandum. Is this still the official guidance?

I think the reason the Govt. dosent want us flying drones in NPs is because they have a lot of secret stuff hidden that the public can't see and get to because of the restricted access. Just a thought.

Yes, i heard a rumour that bears s*it in them woods, guess the Government dont want us knowing either way to keep us all in the dark ;-)

Reactions: mph300
We would all love to get those shots, but imagine a bus load of tourists getting out and flying drones! /QUOTE]
^^^ THIS! ^^^ Picture 100 drones trying to get dronies of Mt Rushmore or Old Faithful at the same time.

Surprised by this thread. In the US, with what surely must be the biggest national parks on earth, you are not allowed to fly drones? We have what's called 'Open Access' in the UK to all our national parks, there are a few common sense guidelines you have to follow but we're all encouraged to get out there and do your thing, including drone flying. A shouty school outing would make way more noise than a drone at 120m, as would wind or sheep bleating.

We do have two organisations that control/maintain our historic buildings (National/Scottish Trust and English/Scottish Heritage) and you're not currently allowed to fly drones on their properties but there are move afoot to challenge this.

Makes me inquisitive to state forests as I'm surrounded by them.....hmm...I'll check it out.
Stopped by Mastodon State Park which is maintained my Missouri Department of Natural Resources today. I was asking about flying drones and what the regulations were. The resource officer stated we do not have any regulations related to flying drones. He stated if they receive a complaint, they check it out and stop any unsafe or inconsiderate flight. An example he gave that they stopped recently was a person flying a drone along a trail with other parties present. Unsafe, inconsiderate, kicking up debris kind of flying. I asked about taking a drone out off the beaten path and launching it. He stated as long as I was considerate and safe, no problem. He also stated if I stayed above the trees, there would be almost no chance of them interfering. Nice. While I'm at it, I'm going to check with the Army Corp of Engineers, which also maintain parks in Missouri. One of the many reasons I love the midwest and Missouri.

Government shouldn't even own land. But since it does, we the people should not be restricted from using it. We shouldn't need permission to fly over publicly owned property.

Have you met the general public? Just look around this forum at the posts from some of the new fliers and those are still way more involved with the hobby than an average owner of a drone..

Last time I was out there I had to politely ask three different teenagers to use their headphones if they want to listen to music and not just blast it out loud on speaker... people just don't care or possibly don't even realize how inconsiderate they are.
There are hundreds of miles of the canyon where very few people go they could just ban it in the main tourist areas.

Reactions: deafcorn
Personally, I'm dead set against it. I use NPs myself, and dont want my peaceful enjoyment of those places spoiled by drone use. I'm surrounded by this beauty as I write this, and my drone is tucked away in its bag, where it belongs. I only need travel 10 miles to fly to my heart's content -- and this seems totally fair.

Other things not allowed in this NP: ATVs, Off-road anything, mountain biking on the trails.

Things allowed and loved: silence, peaceful enjoyment of nature.

I think they should have a designated drone area in each national park just like a dog beach

I think they should have a designated drone area in each national park just like a dog beach
That wouldn't solve anything, because such areas would almost surely be away from the popular parts of the parks, away from the sorts of areas drone pilots would want to fly.

Personally, I'm dead set against it. I use NPs myself, and dont want my peaceful enjoyment of those places spoiled by drone use. I'm surrounded by this beauty as I write this, and my drone is tucked away in its bag, where it belongs. I only need travel 10 miles to fly to my heart's content -- and this seems totally fair.

Other things not allowed in this NP: ATVs, Off-road anything, mountain biking on the trails.

Things allowed and loved: silence, peaceful enjoyment of nature.
I would say people on a trail, or climbing, is more disruptive than a small drone flying at 100m.

I was at Ft Bragg at a National Park with a beach and walkway at the Pacific Ocean. I asked a park ranger if I could fly my drone. He said they have no ruling yet, but stated I should not fly within 100ft of, or over people. I thought this very fair, I flew out over the ocean and when I came into land I stayed up at 200ft. Could not even hear my drone. Here is a cool Pano I took. Also the Park Ranger stayed and watched. He told me, that was perfect.
1514917645182.jpg

I was at Ft Bragg at a National Park with a beach and walkway at the Pacific Ocean. I asked a park ranger if I could fly my drone. He said they have no ruling yet, but stated I should not fly within 100ft of, or over people. I thought this very fair, I flew out over the ocean and when I came into land I stayed up at 200ft. Could not even hear my drone. Here is a cool Pano I took. Also the Park Ranger stayed and watched. He told me, that was perfect.
View attachment 27910
Fort Bragg is in North Carolina...3000 miles from the Pacific Ocean...what type of batteries did you use?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25