Join Us Now

Review temp law on drone ban in National Parks

Do you support a conversation about drone flight in National Parks

• Heck Yes

Votes: 133 85.3%
  • No Way

Votes: 23 14.7%

• Total voters
Here's a thought...in Florida if you get busted for boating under the influence it goes against your drivers license...maybe the same should be done for drone pilots violating restricted airspace...what do you think?

First, not the same thing.

BUI is only _considered_ when getting a DUI charge and the other way around. A BUI is not a charge directly against your license.

Rgardless, flying a drone and person's drivers license have no correlation.

Reactions: Classic flyer
First, not the same thing.

BUI is only _considered_ when getting a DUI charge and the other way around. A BUI is not a charge directly against your license.

Rgardless, flying a drone and person's drivers license have no correlation.
That being said it would put "LEAD IN THE PENCIL" so to speak

Here's my thoughts. I don't ***** about something unless I'm going to contribute to a solution.
1. Logable hours minimum with no blatant missteps. Present flight logs for verification.
2. Age restriction.
3. Designate periods or dates of the year. If more sign up and are approved than the agreed number of drones, have a drawing. On these days make it known that drones in limited amounts will be flying. If people still attend, they have no beef.
4. Present flight log to get back a security deposit.

Seems like it could work.
Seems expensive to manage. NO seems not so much expense. That's probably the way it will go for now, NO.

Here's a thought...in Florida if you get busted for boating under the influence it goes against your drivers license...maybe the same should be done for drone pilots violating restricted airspace...what do you think?
Enforcement would been an impossible issue. We can’t stop speeders, texting while driving, etc. Other than in limited areas where there is enough labor to work on this, I just can’t see how this would work.

To my knowledge, these motorcycles haven't crashed into the Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone. That's what prompted the ban.
I fully understand that, but how does that then carry over to Great Basin or Zion or any other NP? Our machines occasionally cause problems in our environment. Motorcycles, cars, trucks and snowmobiles cause untold more destruction and problems than a drone might ever cause. I can cite many instance of snowmobiles (or motorcycles) killing wildlife, but was there a national-wide ban implemented after the first one?

There's a simple reason this idea is DOA.. the last thing the NPS needs right now is to have to dedicate resources that are being taken away from them to a process that will benefit a very small minority of their visitors and be a nuisance to everyone else (i.e. their source of income). Let them live.

What dedicated resources? What is being taken from them?
Silly me - I thought the National Park System was for the benefit of all and literally property of all US citizens.
Some folks seem to believe in elitism or pleasing the majority at the expense of the minority.
There also tends to be a disparaging of humanity in general when in fact people should be granted benefit of the doubt until they demonstrate their stupidity.
My take is that something should be worked out because an outright ban is wrong.

What dedicated resources? What is being taken from them?
Silly me - I thought the National Park System was for the benefit of all and literally property of all US citizens.
Some folks seem to believe in elitism or pleasing the majority at the expense of the minority.
There also tends to be a disparaging of humanity in general when in fact people should be granted benefit of the doubt until they demonstrate their stupidity.
My take is that something should be worked out because an outright ban is wrong.
I couldn't agree more sir however the old adage still stands true..."a few bad apples spoil the bunch"

I fully understand that, but how does that then carry over to Great Basin or Zion or any other NP? Our machines occasionally cause problems in our environment. Motorcycles, cars, trucks and snowmobiles cause untold more destruction and problems than a drone might ever cause. I can cite many instance of snowmobiles (or motorcycles) killing wildlife, but was there a national-wide ban implemented after the first one?

Actually rampant unbridled tourism is the #1 destroyer of nature - not offroad vehicles.
Take a look at Zion and Bryce. Yellowstone and other national parks. Many now have severe restrictions due to people simply wearing the places out.
State and federal agencies have gotten into bed with the travel industry and it's an epic problem now.

I couldn't agree more sir however the old adage still stands true..."a few bad apples spoil the bunch"
It's still wrong to convict before the crime. I'd like to avoid a "Minority Report" styled future.

I would say people on a trail, or climbing, is more disruptive than a small drone flying at 100m.
Why do you always talk about drones as if there would only be one? In the popular areas at popular times I imagine it might be dozens.
And why aren't we adding ATVs to this allowance? And how about fireworks? And skeet shooting? These are all groups that are dying to be allowed to use National Parks.

Can't we just have a few peaceful places where people can escape all of this?

And for the interest of people that might think I'm putting out a Canadian perspective, please keep in mind that I'm a dual citizen, divide my time between both countries, and vote in both. And I'm commercially certified in both.

Why do you always talk about drones as if there would only be one? In the popular areas at popular times I imagine it might be dozens.
And why aren't we adding ATVs to this allowance? And how about fireworks? And skeet shooting? These are all groups that are dying to be allowed to use National Parks.

Can't we just have a few peaceful places where people can escape all of this?

And for the interest of people that might think I'm putting out a Canadian perspective, please keep in mind that I'm a dual citizen, divide my time between both countries, and vote in both. And I'm commercially certified in both.
I gotta tell ya that when I flying my MP I've never seen anyone else flying one...just saying

Reactions: AIRJORGE
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt