DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH in wrong direction :(

RomekCyborg

Reactions
So far I have 340km distance/35h flight time on my Air and didn't have too many problems.

I flew my Air the other day, and for the 2nd time, my Air disconnected (I'm on iPhone 8 - last app version). I got a black screen, no reaction to controls; I can't remember if I got the message "Disconnected" on the screen. I've read on forums that I should fly in Airplane mode and close all applications so will try this from now on.

Anyway, I put my head up after the initial shock, and saw my drone fly by me :( It was obviously in RTH mode and going in the wrong direction...

After restarting the app and the controller, I regained control and landed safely.

Before take-off I was asked to do a compass recalibration which I off course did.

I've put the log here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SWRWOPZIN7LMNEK98480
- Disconnection at 8m 29.3s
- Reconnection at 9m 15.6s

It looks like the drone was going up as well?

I am a bit confused. When I have a chance to fly again I will try the RTH feature manually in a safe environment... I never use it to land so haven't used it in probably more than a year.

Reactions: Blaksony
Anyway, I put my head up after the initial shock, and saw my drone fly by me :( It was obviously in RTH mode and going in the wrong direction...
When the remote controller disconnects, the Mavic Air will retrace its previous flight path for about 60 seconds. If the signal doesn't reconnect after 60 seconds, it'll abort the retrace attempt and fly directly back to the home point.

Maybe compass error? I had RTH do crazy things like flying side ways towards buildings or tall trees before rising to the set distant. I don't have a lot of faith in RTH but ask member Thunderdrone, he's expert on such thing

Thanks msinger. I didn’t know. I guess I should be reading the forums more often. Any tips on avoiding disconnections? (I forgot to say I’m in Europe but in FCC mode already).

Any tips on avoiding disconnections?
My number one tip would be to maintain LOS. When the remote controller signal disconnected, you were likely standing too close to this brick wall:

This blue dot shows where you were standing:

Reactions: Shon and hactick
I think I had similar problem. Several "command timeout" while no video and pressing RTH button. After it returns I saw the footage from the SDcard and it was going to the wrong direction for some seconds... scary. It happend on some of my 1st flights...

Now I'm having some other problems like drifts, crazy gimbal moves and spontaneous yaw movements.. every now and then. made a post about it, but none could get any conclusions on whats happening.

Waiting on DJI Suport response for now

When the remote controller disconnects, the Mavic Air will retrace its previous flight path for about 60 seconds. If the signal doesn't reconnect after 60 seconds, it'll abort the retrace attempt and fly directly back to the home point.

After reading this from msinger, it kinda look like it's going to retrace the path it was coming from, although it's the wrong way... but then it decided to go to recorded home point:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman