DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

San Francisco private drone police

Real life pilot vs. hobbyist and the truth is he is just telling the facts. It’s all about that “my drone picture is better than you” the force that drives social media and most of these forums. Just saying LOL

if this is within a 400ft radius and below 400ft above the tower across the street ( I checked Google Earth) isn't this legal?

I would bet that it’s not legal and that this dude knows what he is talking about. Just my educated guess.

Reactions: Shawn King
Strictly speaking, the pilot that took that picture could get dinged for a few things:
  • Flying with visibility less than 3 SM and clouds below 500 ft. AGL
  • Failure to maintain VLOS
  • Flying over people
  • Flying at night
I am a licensed pilot with several active airspace use authorization. Altitude limits in controlled airspace are typically a hard limit and cannot be added to the height of structures.

Strictly speaking, the pilot that took that picture could get dinged for a few things:
  • Flying over people
  • Flying at night
I am a licensed pilot with several active airspace use authorization. Altitude limits in controlled airspace are typically a hard limit and cannot be added to the height of structures.

what are the rules for helicopters, aren't they supposed to be 2,000ft out and 1,000ft above? all of SF helipads (except uc hospital) are shut down and residents fight hard to keep it that way. For the hospital, they must fly in from the bay and not over the city, since it's 2 blocks from the water.

Real life pilot vs. hobbyist and the truth is he is just telling the facts. It’s all about that “my drone picture is better than you” the force that drives social media and most of these forums. Just saying LOL

what's wrong with watching all the tutorials on Youtube so you can have better drone shots? You don't have to climb above 400ft either.

This one is a beauty but possibly illegal too...probably took off from the park / overpass below.
pilotslife-05.fw.png

Last edited:
what's wrong with watching all the tutorials on Youtube so you can have better drone shots? You don't have to climb above 400ft either.

This one is a beauty but possibly illegal too...probably took off from the park / overpass below.
View attachment 58125

I love editing my photos (shhhh don’t tell a real photographer) but I think the point is that some people ignore the FAA rules and possible local laws just to capture their moment (because I’ve never seen a city lit up at night ever in my life). I hate to admit it but the guy has validated FAA rules and to me is sending a message because he is properly educated and it’s his career. One day he will be tagging his posts with #toldyouso The end of this hobby is happening faster than we probably think and can change everyday if photos like this keep going around. There is money to be made and this aircraft pilot isn’t going to let a few guys with some toy cameras ruin it. Just my opinion.

• Flying over people
  • Flying at night

I’m also curious about copyright laws. The building seems fairly new (post 1990) but I’m not too sure how that law applies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23