DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SController incompatibility with DJI Fly 1.2.1?

diplomat8

Reactions
I have received a replacement Smart Controller under warranty for this issue. The issue was, when connected to the Mavic Air 2, the live camera view is black. The Transmission Tab shows no data. Yet I can take photos and video, and can play them back from the saved images using DJI Fly.

When I received a replacement Smart Controller, from DJI, it connected to the Mavic Air 2 and the video worked normally. It seemed all was working. The Smart Controller had firmware version 1.00.0460 installed. The DJI Fly app was version 1.1.6. I connected to the DJI Assistant for Mavic and refreshed the SController firmware. It was still the current version 1.00.0460. The DJI Fly app was still at version 1.1.6. At this point, the Smart Controller would connect to the aircraft and the video feed was working normally.

I had read that it was recommended to use DJI Fly version 1.2.1. So I used the web browser on the Smart Controller, went to dji.com and found downloads for Mavic Air 2. It listed DJI Fly and directed me to the GooglePlay Store. I downloaded the file to the smart Controller and with the File Manager I installed it. So now I have DJI Fly version 1.2.1 installed. The next time I connected the Smart Controller to the aircraft, the video problem was back. The DJI Fly app can connect to the aircraft and everything looks normal except for the black screen where the camera view should be. The Transmission tab has no data at all.

My questions are:

1) Is the Smart Controller with firmware version 1.00.0460 only compatible with DJI Fly version 1.1.6? Is the Smart Controller NOT compatible with DJI Fly version 1.2.1?

2) If this is true, then how can I change the DJI Fly version 1.2.1 back to version 1.1.6?

Thanks for your help.

I had the black screen issue after I upgraded to the latest Fly app that wasn't specifically part of the official SC firmware upgrade package. I resolved the issue by deleting the Fly app, downgrading the firmware in DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, then reapplying the latest SC firmware.

Do you mean downloading rather than downgrading? If so, then that’s what I’m thinking of doing.
Do you think that we are always limited to the version of DJI Fly that comes with a Smart Controller firmware update?

You can download the APK from the Fly app you want and overwrite the one in the SC.

Do you mean downloading rather than downgrading? If so, then that’s what I’m thinking of doing.
Do you think that we are always limited to the version of DJI Fly that comes with a Smart Controller firmware update?

No, I mean downgrading. When you connect the SC it shows you are on the latest version with an option to downgrade. I downgraded, then upgraded again to put the correct version of the Fly app on.

I got it! Thanks.
I downgraded the SC firmware. The Fly app stayed v. 1.2.1. When I first tried to delete the Fly app, by long pressing on the icon, I got a message “Cannot delete system software.” Or similar. After downgrading, I was able to long press on the Fly app and drag it to the top of the screen where it said “Delete.” Then I upgraded to the current firmware version. It put Fly v. 1.6.1 back in. So now the camera view works. Thanks for the help.
By the way, DJI Support is not well educated about this black screen issue. They had me send in the SC and gave me a new replacement. They listed the problem as a circuit board failure. Cost around $250 but covered under warranty. In fact it was a software issue.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. The fly app is currently not compatible with the smart controller. You need to go into the SC settings and reset to factory defaults. You will then have fly app 1.1.6 or something like that installed by the reset. I've been watching the dji site to see when they upgrade the app.

There is no way to overwrite or uninstall the new app that you upgraded by mistake. You can only do a factory reset to get it working.

I have received a replacement Smart Controller under warranty for this issue. The issue was, when connected to the Mavic Air 2, the live camera view is black. The Transmission Tab shows no data. Yet I can take photos and video, and can play them back from the saved images using DJI Fly.

When I received a replacement Smart Controller, from DJI, it connected to the Mavic Air 2 and the video worked normally. It seemed all was working. The Smart Controller had firmware version 1.00.0460 installed. The DJI Fly app was version 1.1.6. I connected to the DJI Assistant for Mavic and refreshed the SController firmware. It was still the current version 1.00.0460. The DJI Fly app was still at version 1.1.6. At this point, the Smart Controller would connect to the aircraft and the video feed was working normally.

I had read that it was recommended to use DJI Fly version 1.2.1. So I used the web browser on the Smart Controller, went to dji.com and found downloads for Mavic Air 2. It listed DJI Fly and directed me to the GooglePlay Store. I downloaded the file to the smart Controller and with the File Manager I installed it. So now I have DJI Fly version 1.2.1 installed. The next time I connected the Smart Controller to the aircraft, the video problem was back. The DJI Fly app can connect to the aircraft and everything looks normal except for the black screen where the camera view should be. The Transmission tab has no data at all.

My questions are:

1) Is the Smart Controller with firmware version 1.00.0460 only compatible with DJI Fly version 1.1.6? Is the Smart Controller NOT compatible with DJI Fly version 1.2.1?

2) If this is true, then how can I change the DJI Fly version 1.2.1 back to version 1.1.6?

Thanks for your help.
My SC firmware is at v820 with my Mavic Air 2 and no issues

Here we will keep you updated !!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky