DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sectional Chart Question- "For reasons of National Welfare Pilots Are Requested to Avoid Flights Below 2400 MSL"

Sanuk828

Reactions
Hello All,
Has anyone seen a notice on a sectional chart similar to this? This is an area just south of Charlottesville, VA. I was hoping to fly my drone right around Batesville (on the map). I am Part 107 certified and the property on which I'd be flying is owned by the company I work for, so no issues there.

Common sense would dictate that I should avoid flying in this area but I just wanted to get some other opinions from more experienced pilots than myself. Is this really a "request" or more of a regulation? Thanks in advance.

VFR_charlottesville.png

Thank you. So according to that forum, it sounds like this notice is out of respect for Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's plantation) which is over 20 miles away. Flying of a drone would probably be alright then?

I got curious about this while having coffee and avoiding the news this morning. Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home) is in the area shown by the orange oval below. I don't see anything official saying that Monticello is the reason for the notice. Note that it's inside the Class E airspace for CHO.

A look at Google maps didn't turn up anything of significance in the area of the box with the notice, but I did see a marker for Trump Winery, inside the blue oval. (No, I'm not seriously suggesting that's the reason for the notice.)

There's a hawk migration route west of that area, toward Waynesboro and an observatory near Covesville to the southwest. But I can't find an obvious reason for the notice. It doesn't seem likely that Monticello is the reason.

This isn't Prohibited Airspace or even Restricted Airspace. It's not a National Security Area. B4YOUFLY shows no flight limitations. I'd be comfortable flying a drone there.

chart.temp.jpg

The people who make those charts are very familiar with words like "required" and "prohibited", and they will use them when appropriate. When they say "requested", I believe that's exactly what they mean.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom