DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Self-Unlocking "so-called" at dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

robotarmy

Reactions
Regarding "Click on a pin to select the location:" It doesn't work! I click on the pin and nothing happens!
Regarding "Input your flight controller serial #: I get a red error message saying "The serial number must be in alphanumeric characters only," when it is alphanumeric characters and I tried typing it FIVE TIMES! I've tried restarting browser AND computer, clearing caches, using different browser, all to no avail! Here's a link to a screen share—maybe it will make more sense than my text here...!

Reactions: CJG
I think you need to zoom in and drop a pin in the exact location? Dji would not allow you to unlock the airport. If I recall, it’s been a while.

I think you need to zoom in and drop a pin in the exact location? Dji would not allow you to unlock the airport. If I recall, it’s been a while.
Actually, the website map does not respond to ANY mouse clicks. Thanks, though...

So I just tried this on my PC and what I've found is that you cannot click on the pin that gets placed when you perform a search. You can, however, click on any of the pre-populated blue pins on the map and that populates the "SELECT A ZONE TO UNLOCK" field. It doesn't look like you can unlock just any area which wouldn't make sense to me if you're in an area where DJI Fly is not allowing you to take-off. Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Reactions: dawgpilot
Regarding "Click on a pin to select the location:" It doesn't work! I click on the pin and nothing happens!
Regarding "Input your flight controller serial #: I get a red error message saying "The serial number must be in alphanumeric characters only," when it is alphanumeric characters and I tried typing it FIVE TIMES! I've tried restarting browser AND computer, clearing caches, using different browser, all to no avail! Here's a link to a screen share—maybe it will make more sense than my text here...!
You have misunderstood the instructions. You need to click on a zone pin, not your search pin.

Thanks for the input everyone. I now understand the "PIN" thing. However, I am still getting that red error message saying "The serial number must be in alphanumeric characters only."

If it is of any help, I discovered that I couldn’t select pins using Safari on my iPad; I had to use Safari on my Mac which worked okay. I successfully unlocked a blue authorisation zone near Odiham in Hampshire, UK

Thanks for the input everyone. I now understand the "PIN" thing. However, I am still getting that red error message saying "The serial number must be in alphanumeric characters only."
Make sure there are no spaces at beginning,end,or middle of your serial number.

Make sure you are entering the serial number of the drone itself. Some people are confused by the use of the term "flight controller" and try entering the serial of the RC. That's not what they want.

Make sure you are entering the serial number of the drone itself. Some people are confused by the use of the term "flight controller" and try entering the serial of the RC. That's not what they want.
On the DJI link I have it asks for the controller serial number. Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 3.09.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 3.09.02 PM.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 8
I've entered the remote serial number for a couple of years.No issues.Hmmmm

I think you're likely misremembering. DJI is approving the specific drone unit for unlocking, and the remote control has nothing to do with that process.

I think you're likely misremembering. DJI is approving the specific drone unit for unlocking, and the remote control has nothing to do with that process.
Well, something is strange because I enter my Smart Controller's serial number and I receive the SMS code on my phone, enter it on the DJI unlocking site and my SC then has the approval which I sync with the AC.

I generally find on site unlocking to work much better. Just make sure your control device has internet connection, use a hot spot with your phone if needed and follow the instructions. Sometimes you don’t even need internet.

Maybe the unlock doesn't really go through but I get an approval by text and the controller serial # + Dji link are in a saved email so I always copy paste it.Aliens???

I had a similar problem myself the first time when attempting to get an unlocking certificate for the Florida Northeastern Regional Airport (SGJ). The pin representing the airport was showing as "yellow" and would not allow me to select it. It turned out to be a filter issue. After playing with the filters, the pin turned "blue" with the white dot and I had no further trouble.

For DJI to make such an amazing piece of equipment, like the Mavic, its amazes me that the unlock process is such crap. I didnt fly my drone for almost a year because I had such frustration with the unlock. I was trying to show some friends my cool toy and it took almost an hour of frustration to get it to work. This was was my fault, in that I wasnt doing it right. However, DJI doesn't exactly make it easy.

Here is my checklist in four easy steps for self unlock in a "Blue Zone" for a Mavic Pro (note, I do this on my computer, not the controller). Also, you need an internet connection to the controller iPad so it can receive the license:

-Go to self-unlock page: Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI. Put location in the search box of map.

-Click on the Pin icon of the Blue airspace you want to unlock and fill out the rest of page. Have Flight Controler Serial # ready. To find Serial # go to the Controller Camera View (ipad), click on 3 dots in top right corner for General Settings, scroll to bottom of page to "About". You want the Flight Controler number. Dont confuse zeros with O's.

-Once license obtained, go to controller and the camera view as well as turn on the drone. Go to "General Settings" (three dots in top right corner), go down midway to "Unlocking License" and import the license to Mavic drone. DONE.

-You will need to re-import the license each time you turn the drone off and back on. This does not mean re-apply for the license, just re-import it to the drone.

There are so many ways this whole process could and should be improved. It is extremely un-intuitive. For starters, it should all happen from the "Flight Status Cannot Take Off" notification on the camera app. With an internet connection, such as your cell phone, all of the required information could happen with a few clicks at the fly location using the app. Current process is just unnecessary for a casual flyer unless you need to preplan a flight.

Reactions: EricJT
For DJI to make such an amazing piece of equipment, like the Mavic, its amazes me that the unlock process is such crap. I didnt fly my drone for almost a year because I had such frustration with the unlock. I was trying to show some friends my cool toy and it took almost an hour of frustration to get it to work. This was was my fault, in that I wasnt doing it right. However, DJI doesn't exactly make it easy.

Here is my checklist in four easy steps for self unlock in a "Blue Zone" for a Mavic Pro (note, I do this on my computer, not the controller). Also, you need an internet connection to the controller iPad so it can receive the license:

-Go to self-unlock page: Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI. Put location in the search box of map.

-Click on the Pin icon of the Blue airspace you want to unlock and fill out the rest of page. Have Flight Controler Serial # ready. To find Serial # go to the Controller Camera View (ipad), click on 3 dots in top right corner for General Settings, scroll to bottom of page to "About". You want the Flight Controler number. Dont confuse zeros with O's.

-Once license obtained, go to controller and the camera view as well as turn on the drone. Go to "General Settings" (three dots in top right corner), go down midway to "Unlocking License" and import the license to Mavic drone. DONE.

-You will need to re-import the license each time you turn the drone off and back on. This does not mean re-apply for the license, just re-import it to the drone.

There are so many ways this whole process could and should be improved. It is extremely un-intuitive. For starters, it should all happen from the "Flight Status Cannot Take Off" notification on the camera app. With an internet connection, such as your cell phone, all of the required information could happen with a few clicks at the fly location using the app. Current process is just unnecessary for a casual flyer unless you need to preplan a flight.
Yes, there certainly is a lot of self-education required for the unlock process. But as with most IT type things, once learnt it becomes second nature. Safe flying!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser