Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Should I dispose of battery with hairline cracks?

smiles

Reactions
One of my Mavic batteries, now over a year old, has developed some cracks. I have read that this is caused by over heating of the lithium battery in storage/discharge.

Would be good to hear if this is a common problem and what others have done.

Cheers

JimmyHillsChin

Reactions
Without meaning to sound like a d**k here but would you use any other battery that had cracks in them, especially rechargable ones?

For the price of a new battery, you will get peace of mind that the cracked one doesn't explode during charging or, at the very least, fail whilst your Mavic is in the air.

You've raised the concern yourself and where rechargeable batteries are involved, why take the risk?

Reactions: smiles

Kilrah

Solutions
Reactions
Well, can't know without pictures.

The plastic case is known to sometimes crack without anything actually abnormal on the battery inside.

Reactions: smiles

mavicn00b

Reactions
Post some pictures up, I'd be more keen to see if its puffed or not. If you got a puffed pack, might be time to ditch it.

Koelkop

Reactions
Post some pics, it might save you some money. If the battery is not puffed up and the tabs are not broken of or something I wont worry. A crack in the housing does not always mean the battery is toast.

smiles

Reactions
Thanks for your responses. Photos attached.

You can feel a very slight bump and as I have never dropped them, unless anyone has any clear alternative explanation I think I'm going to dispose of it and purchase a couple of new ones.

Attachments

• IMAG0663.jpg
    IMAG0663.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0662.jpg
    IMAG0662.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0658.jpg
    IMAG0658.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 32

smiles

Reactions
Without meaning to sound like a d**k here but would you use any other battery that had cracks in them, especially rechargable ones?

For the price of a new battery, you will get peace of mind that the cracked one doesn't explode during charging or, at the very least, fail whilst your Mavic is in the air.

You've raised the concern yourself and where rechargeable batteries are involved, why take the risk?

I agree, I just wanted to check that no one came back with a clear explanation that there i no issue. My other battery, same age is fine.

Koelkop

Reactions
Thanks for your responses. Photos attached.

You can feel a very slight bump and as I have never dropped them, unless anyone has any clear alternative explanation I think I'm going to dispose of it and purchase a couple of new ones.

What does the underside look like? There were previous cases where those batteries cracked like that due to bad moulding.

PILOTRYAN

Reactions
One of my Mavic batteries, now over a year old, has developed some cracks. I have read that this is caused by over heating of the lithium battery in storage/discharge.

Would be good to hear if this is a common problem and what others have done.

Cheers
I'd say it looks ok, but it's probably better not to take the risk.

Kilrah

Solutions
Reactions
Looks OK. This kind of cracks has happened to many, also on the aircraft itself.

DJI Drone Service

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsoumen