DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins Review

Neto

Reactions
I bought two sets of skins mentioned here.
The first one from iCarbons, the second from DecalGirl.

iCarbons
iPhone 7 Skins, MacBook Skins, PS4 Skins, Xbox One Skins, iPad Skins
US$ 39.95

3M vinil, very nice and strong.
You need a hair dryer to make it fit nicely.
It is so nice that you can't, for example, fold the vinil to wrap the arms so to cover the whole MP they made a lot of small pieces.
The texture is a little bigger and a little brighter than the DecaGirl's.
No difference between the battery covers.

DecalGirl
http://www.decalgirl.com
US$ 24.99

At first seems to be of very low quality.
Texture is a little smaller, a little less brighter.
But it gives the MP a much better look, since it is more flexible.
By the way, the MP with DecalGirl skin result a little lighter, although I don't think it will have any performance impact.
There's a number to identify each battery.

I ended up using DecalGirl.

iCarbons:
76011de0417a711efe91ce3093f12464.jpg

DecalGirl:
8a4a00b76edf86f91238c9e82f3e0b18.jpg

7cc84c4e597179e57cb8a2cfe4f85517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazmg
Cool thanks for sharing... i ordered a high gloss carbon cover set with 3 extra bat covers which was nice but i needed 2 more

Reactions: mothytim
Got my vinyl wrap from EBay: decalconcepts
Looks great and was easy except for a few spots that required a bit of heat from a blow dryer.
IMG_7771.JPGIMG_7770.JPG

Reactions: MavicMo
Another shout out for the DecalGirl skin. I went all yellow. My wife was kind enough to put it on for me, she is much more precise than I am.

Seems are extra visible because of the contrast, but I really like it!

965334f041e873ec1cd2d88740dff0aa.jpg

93d2cc11f9259ad3c581f39bfaddd19c.jpg

DecalGirl
US$ 24.99

By the way, the MP with DecalGirl skin result a little lighter, although I don't think it will have any performance impact.

I have the exact same skin, color and all. Thanks for stealing that :)

The problem I have had with the DecalGirl skin is that the pieces that do bend around corners do not stay very well. I tried using a heat gun hoping that a little heat would make it stick better but so far it has only improved slightly. Maybe over time as the decals are in place they will conform to the bends a bit better and stay in place, until then I am constantly checking before each flight to make sure it is not peeling up anywhere.

I'm really curious to hear how they hold up over time. Like if the edges start lifting, how it handles being "rubbed" by cases or the like. They do look nice!

I'm really curious to hear how they hold up over time. Like if the edges start lifting, how it handles being "rubbed" by cases or the like. They do look nice!

From my experience alot of this depends on the quality of vinyl and how well it was applied. I used to buy 3d vinyl carbon wrap by the roll and wrap all my car's interior parts. I learned that the professional autobody vinyl wrappers use this tack spray on the tricky spots to prevent any unwanted peeling.

Personaly I prefer to buy it by the roll cuz u can get rid of any seems, do a full edge free job but it takes more time, patience and sum know how. your selection of colors, thickness & quality is infinite this way too...

e9f01cc730735f7252f72f4fb03aae37.jpg

^ Im trying this color and with gloss carbon fiber accents. I bought a simular kit in gloss carbon so i can copy the stencil for a good base to start with then push the edges out to hide seems

I think the best thing would be Hydrodipping. They make DIY hydro dip kits but obviously u would need to remove the plastic parts to do it :( unless u have the balls to dunk ur mavic underwater for about 3-5 seconds?
It looks so rad tho, its absolutely weightless and wont effect any performance etc.. and u can print ur own custom images/patterns etc, limitless options on design
All those crazy fancy college helmets like Oregon Ducks helmets are done here in oregon by hydrodipping company. They have a liquid chrome dip thats more chrome than chrome its nuts

Reactions: pilotmike65
I bought two sets of skins mentioned here.
The first one from iCarbons, the second from DecalGirl.

iCarbons
iPhone 7 Skins, MacBook Skins, PS4 Skins, Xbox One Skins, iPad Skins
US$ 39.95

3M vinil, very nice and strong.
You need a hair dryer to make it fit nicely.
It is so nice that you can't, for example, fold the vinil to wrap the arms so to cover the whole MP they made a lot of small pieces.
The texture is a little bigger and a little brighter than the DecaGirl's.
No difference between the battery covers.

DecalGirl
US$ 24.99

iCarbons:
76011de0417a711efe91ce3093f12464.jpg

DecalGirl:
8a4a00b76edf86f91238c9e82f3e0b18.jpg

7cc84c4e597179e57cb8a2cfe4f85517.jpg

Did you use the MATTE or GLOSSY skin from DecalGirl?

I purchased two skins from eBay for $12 each. Product: For DJI Mavic Pro Drone Waterproof Carbon Fiber Full Wrap Sticker Skin Decal Set. Seller: ynaan Installation was simple and the cuts are precise. I will comment that some areas were missed, but the final look is pleasing.

18057631_10209211939483128_4970819923103635316_n.jpg 18058031_10209211940323149_5209572829691777417_n.jpg 18057859_10209211941203171_7028647527674642525_n.jpg 18034217_10209211941923189_7076362840229023071_n.jpg

Still need to check heat retention and how well it adheres. It is very hot in Thailand now and the batteries definitely get hot!

UPDATE: 22 May. The skins adhere very well. No loose edges or bubbles. They are well worth the lower price.

Last edited:
Reactions: BikerBuster and Lsv
Heat dissipation vents are not covered. The underside of the Mavic is warm after a 25 minute flight. The top is usually cool and the skins do not affect cooling as far as I can determine.

So I had one like Decal Girl. They are good for the money. But, DroneWrap is the only way to go if you want the best.

Almost 98% coverage and little to no seams.

Drone Wrap used 1080 Vinyl. It's way different than the Vinyl used by Decal Girl or most others.

I used NO HEAT at all. On my first wrap I had to use heat to make it lay flat. Drone Wrap went on and simply working it with my finger did the trick.

Hard to argue with this!
c8562782c58b005c3198e3a55e30fe9d.jpg

So I had one like Decal Girl. They are good for the money. But, DroneWrap is the only way to go if you want the best.

Almost 98% coverage and little to no seams.

Drone Wrap used 1080 Vinyl. It's way different than the Vinyl used by Decal Girl or most others.

I used NO HEAT at all. On my first wrap I had to use heat to make it lay flat. Drone Wrap went on and simply working it with my finger did the trick.

Hard to argue with this!
c8562782c58b005c3198e3a55e30fe9d.jpg
That looks so good. Does the wrap cover the underside parts that are not heat sensitive? Like the under side of the arms etc.

Got mine from Redpanda. Skin with 2 extra battery skins was $14 shipped

Reactions: DanDow
Another shout out for the DecalGirl skin. I went all yellow. My wife was kind enough to put it on for me, she is much more precise than I am.

Seems are extra visible because of the contrast, but I really like it!

965334f041e873ec1cd2d88740dff0aa.jpg

93d2cc11f9259ad3c581f39bfaddd19c.jpg
Do you find a big difference in ability to see the drone at a distance?

Here's a few side notes and why I'm happy to have found people wondering the same as myself.

I purchased these 2 items (...and yes, I know one of them is for a different drone...stick with me...lol...)

1. For my Yuneec Breeze 4K
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746TKKKC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. For my 2-day old Mavic Air - Black
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YZZWQ8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*Installed on the Breeze 4K and everything that was normally "OK" became wonky...connection, responsiveness, range, etc. PLUS: I'm in Florida, USA and it's 90 F here and I feel like the extra "layer" was cooking my poor drone...
FYI: I have fought through MANY hardships, trials, errors, etc. with B4K and consider myself a "homemade expert" or something...anyway...

My question/concern is that my Mavic Air Skin will also have some negative side-effects if I use it on my new baby...

Any more recent updates/info/opinions?

*BTW: I peeled off the B4K skin and everything went back to normal....unless it WAS the heat and I ruined the skin for nothing....but still, didn't wanna cook my other baby...lol.

I’ve had 3 different skins on my Mavic.
An Arctic camouflage custom skin from Decalgirl, showed up well close in, not so good at distance, coverage not good and lots of gaps between panels.
An Army green skin from Dronewrap, (now Wrapgrade), never going to show up in ground clutter when below the horizon but showed up well with a brighter sky. The skin covered really well even on lower surfaces, no gaps between panels and battery.
A Coloration X skin, from Wrapgrade, visibility really similar to Army green but looks way better in sunlight. Coverage better than the Army Green skin as they’ve slightly altered their template.
I’m pretty sure that there isn’t much difference in visibility whatever colour you use. You will notice movement or change in light intensity before you notice a stationary drone. If you want to see your drone at distance better to fit a high intensity flashing led.
Just to add that none of the skins had any effect on compass, gps or any transmissions to or from the drone that I was able to notice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000