DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins Review

I’m a new owner. I’m impressed with the update. I ordered the face for my pro should have waited til I joined forum. The good news is it’s on the slow ‍♀️ from China

It looks like, from the photos, that many have done a fine job of installation.
Just got my Coloration-X from DroneWrap for my M2P,
I didn't find the installation to be all that easy of a project. Had issue witrh working out tiny bubbles once they became apparent.

I purchased it online from Kogan Australia last Thursday arvo and it arrived today (Tuesday Morning).
Now I'm particularly fussy when it comes to purchasing tech gear (anything for that matter) and I took a big chance of being disappointed with a refurbished unit but the Drone looks pristine. There's not a mark, scratch or fingerprint on it. The controller and batteries are the same. The packaging and all the accessories look factory packed and are also perfectly clean. Honestly I wouldn't of known except for the "Refurbished unit" sticker on the box.

So now I'm charging everything up and will read through the manuals. I've watching tons of videos so hopefully I shouldn't have any trouble setting it all up.
There's only one problem......It's Pi**ing down rain here and will be for the next week by the look of the forecast.
Here in Australia we were well due for a good soaking as most of the country is in drought ATM so I can't complain too much.

My girlfriend said she will buy me DJI Care cuz I'm such a wonderful guy :p

I'll update this post once the unit is up and flying but so far, superficially anyway it looks like buying a refurb is not a bad thing.

Hi,
I installed a decalgirl skin on my Spark and the first flight I flew without my phone just the controller so that I could photograph the drone. there were no problems. The second flight over a good distance went well but the telemetry showed the drone to be a hundred feet or so lower than it actually was, and it indicated that it was around seventy feet below ground level while landing. The next two flights were in the house to see if the altimeter problem had gone away. Right away after takeoff the drone became uncontrollable and I had to grab it..ouch... I calibrated the IMU and tried it again with the same result. All systems are showing AOK...anyone have any ideas? I hate to pull off the skin. And I would hate to send it to DJI. They just never seem to want to accept any responsibility. I think inconclusive is one of their favorite words. spark skin flying.jpg

I solved the problem above with the decal girl skins. I had put the bottom skin extremely close to the two bottom sensors. It really wasn't noticeable. I had tried to fly the drone again this morning in my yard..the very center of my yard... and after a normal take off and some small maneuvering to check controllability and the altimeter I decided all was ok and I started to climb and the drone suddenly shot upward at an alarming rate, The altimeter indicated way below ground level and I really thought I had lost control. I pushed the return to home and drone being directly over the home point started down at a pretty fast rate. I cancelled the return and was able to land the drone but it behaved very strange altitude wise. I was about to ship it off and hooked the spark up to DJI assist 2 but I could get no further??..anyway I decided to take another look at the Spark and thought it might help to open up the holes around the sensors. That evidently did the trick. The drone flys perfectly again. It's hard to believe how odd the drone acted altitude wise. When it indicated 100 ft. It was at least three times that high and when it got down to where I could guess it was about 75 ft high it was indicating -80 ft. As a pilot I'm used to an altimeter using static air pressure, and I'm a complete dummy as to how the drone altimeter works. GPS altitude in an aircraft can be fairly close or several hundred feet off. I'm guessing the sensors on the bottom were completely fooled in the house because it was unable to hold position at all. It had hovered perfectly on the first flight outside. Maybe the new skin shifted a micro amount??? I don't know, but opening it up sure changed how it flew.
I have two sparks and for the most part, I have only flown this particular one in the house with my phone. I bought it re-furbished from DJI because the price at the time was so good and I just had to have two. Both of them have always been more stable at lift off in smooth air than my Mavic Air which more or less lurches off the ground and a lot of the time makes a really quick 30 degree yaw to the left??? I've come to expect it. I guess the moral of the story would be...make sure the sensors are really clean.

Just installed a skin for my Mavic Air from decalgirl.com. The design is really nice, material feels like good quality, and instal was fairly easy with patience.

I did run I to 1 issue however... when folding and rotating the right rear arm in for storage it makes contact with the skin. I never noticed how tight the clearance was until now and the width of the skin was enough to cause it to contact. The left rear leg has no issues but clearance was very tight as well.

My solution was to take a razor blade and carefully remove a small section of the skin so that the arm can rotate into position unobstructed.

HI, I have just added excellent Body and Battery decals to my M2 Zoom from Aerial Pixels. Look and feel great in my company colours and a great fit.
All good so far but on the first flight I straight away noticed that there was a 1+ sec video lag in the signal to my iPad mini 3, and then consistent delays. A message showed but disappeared before I could read it and didn't return. I also noticed a definite delay in auto moving the gimbal 180 degrees from the controller and switching between home page and map. I immediately landed it as this has NEVER happened before, it has been absolutely perfect until now. As it was getting a bit dark in the late afternoon here in the UK I didn't retry. I'll have another go tomorrow and hope it was a local interference or something because I would hate to have to remove them. Aerial Pixels were really quick in coming back to me when I queried it with them so hats off to Ryan. He assures me this is not a known problem and suggests there might have been another influence on the drone. Anyway, anybody got similar issues? Hope not. I report back after I try again tomorrow.

Good news. Took the MP2Z out a few times since the previous post and no issues. Must have been a funny turn in the air. In Spain with it now and absolutely perfect.

I'm not sure that I'm in love with the decal girl skin on my AIR. I don't seem to be getting the wifi connection that I had before. Has anyone else had a problem? Its impossible to record video smoothly with the image lagging and disappearing so often.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS