DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller

I don't understand what you mean with "having my phone on a gimble while flying", but to me the SC is the solution to a lot of problems I didn't know I had before, but which made using it an absolute pleasure. Before, I flew a Mavic 1 Pro with an iPad mini 4. This setup required that I bring an extra device (iPad), which I had to take out of its sleeve, put in the controller, then switch on the controller and the mavic, wait until there was connection, then hook up the USB cable and pray that it would connect right away. Then start flying and keeping fingers crossed that the app didn't loose connection. (Happened a lot, probably due to my hand touching the USB cable). Then the iPad is barely usable in bright conditions.

Enter the smart controller. Workflow: switch on the controller and the Mavic, in the mean time screw in the sticks, and when that is done, the connection is there. Click "Go fly" and start flying. That simple. The display on the SC is not only very bright, but the image is also very sharp, so I can now see details when flying that I normally would have missed.

The whole change is so big, that for me, that I would say that my entire fun over the transition from M1 Pro to M2 Pro has been 90% based on the controller, and only 10% on the new Mavic.

What I mean by having my phone on a gimble while flying is that my phone is on a hand gimble for shooting ground video at the same time my M2 Zoom is in the air shooting video using the new smart controller.

Thanks for your input. I really want to buy an SC but have seen a lot of vids on youtube talking about issues etc. I wanted to get some real feedback from someone who is currently using one.
So thank you.

Reactions: JoostGT3
I haver just bought a new Mavic 2 Zoom.

I am thinking about buying the new smart controller but I have seen posts all over the internet with pros and cons.

The idea of having my phone on a gimble while flying with a smart controller is ideal.

Should I buy this smart controller or wait?
I started out with the regular controller and an ipad 9.7. Aside from the compass issues I was having with my ipad (probably because it didn't have cell service), it wasn't bright enough out in the sun to be able to view it effectively. My IPhone had the same issue. It was also a pain having to link everything together (controller, phone, etc). So I decided on the smart controller not only because of the screen brightness and ease of quick take offs, but also because of the hdmi output port which allowed me to hook up a fhd monitor to my sc so that the wife and others could ride along so to speak. Me using my sc screen for view and others using the monitor at the same time. I don't regret it. If you can get past the cost, I would highly recommend the sc. Also forgot to mention the ease of screen copying the flight as well which shows whatever is on the screen currently. Telemetry info is sometimes nice to see on video's from time to time for perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
I'm using the SC for several weeks now and can only say I will never go back to the regular controller. Bigger and brighter screen, no hassel with cabels, feels better in your hands etc. I even did the latest software update by air. No DJI assistant needed. Battery life is good. I'm flying RC 700 size helicopters also and can tell, a decent computer RC (remote control) without a screen and without a range of 8 km will cost about the same. So for 650,- you get so much more: excellent screen, good connectivity, outstanding range, good battery life, good sticks etc. For 1750,- you get one of the best drones and one of the best RC's currently available. My RC helicopter without remote, without charger, without camera and without Lipo batteries cost 1750,-....from a hoppy point of view: the SC and Mavic 2 Zoom (combo deal) is a bargain.

I wish the screen was bigger and I still need a shade sometimes. Ease of set up is great. Price jumped to $749 I believe, that would be a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Thomas B
I wish the screen was bigger and I still need a shade sometimes. Ease of set up is great. Price jumped to $749 I believe, that would be a deal breaker for me.
I have a brand new Smart Controller that came with a Zoom Kit from Amazon. I've been thinking of selling the whole kit but might consider parting it out. Let me know if you have any interest in the SC and if so, what you have in the budget for one.

Hey guys I was considering buying the smart controller as well until I read posts about it having signal / range issues. Is this still an issue? I would love to have the SC but not at the expense of losing range or having drop outs (I’m already dealing with that now with my new goggles RE LoL)

Yes I included some links below that discuss a few issues that have been experienced with the new smart controller and that has kept me from purchasing thus far. Again it’s such a shame because I’ve always wanted a DJI drone and have been so happy with my new Mavic 2 Zoom and standard controller but now so let down with my new RE goggles. Seeing that it’s been over 8 months now & DJI still hasn’t fixed the range issue with the goggles RE & the Mavic 2 I’m really hesitant to purchase the smart controller. I haven’t lost my faith in DJI yet I really hope they pull through.

The first batch of the Smart Controller seems to have several problems. Mine SC belongs to the second batch and I haven't experience one problem yet. No connectivity problems, no range problems (in FCC mode). There is a range issue when connecting the RE Goggles to a Mavic 2. In that case I would suggest to connect the goggles with HDMI to the SC. You will probably lose the headtracking feature but you will have no range issues anymore (I connected my SC with HDMI to my TV. The image was incredible sharp and clean.). I even get the FCC mode and the updating feature working flawlessly. For me, no returning back to the regular controller. That one was drawing my Cellphone battery empty like grazy. Two flights on one charge was the maximum (screen set to full brightness otherwise I couldn't see a thing).

Reactions: RogerMav
The first batch of the Smart Controller seems to have several problems. Mine SC belongs to the second batch and I haven't experience one problem yet. No connectivity problems, no range problems (in FCC mode). There is a range issue when connecting the RE Goggles to a Mavic 2. In that case I would suggest to connect the goggles with HDMI to the SC. You will probably lose the headtracking feature but you will have no range issues anymore (I connected my SC with HDMI to my TV. The image was incredible sharp and clean.). I even get the FCC mode and the updating feature working flawlessly. For me, no returning back to the regular controller. That one was drawing my Cellphone battery empty like grazy. Two flights on one charge was the maximum (screen set to full brightness otherwise I couldn't see a thing).

This is very helpful information & greatly appreciated thank you! In regards to connecting the goggles to the SC using the included HDMI cable & it resolving the range issues with the goggles RE have you personally tested this setup? If yes how far were you able to go with the goggles RE connected to the SC via HDMI? I just want to be sure that this method really works before picking up the SC.

In regards to connecting the goggles to the SC using the included HDMI cable & it resolving the range issues with the goggles RE have you personally tested this setup? If yes how far were you able to go with the goggles RE connected to the SC via HDMI?
The aircraft will fly the same distance whether or not anything is connected to the HDMI output. All that's doing is sharing the screen with the connected device. It has no effect on the range.

I haven't tested the range with the SC and the Re Goggles because I don't have the goggles. What I understand is that the connections Ocu Sync. 1 (Goggles) with Ocu Sync 2 (SC) doesn't work seamless. When using HDMI you bypass the Ocu Sync connection and just uses the Goggles as a monitor. Looks like to me that no range issues will appear.

The aircraft will fly the same distance whether or not anything is connected to the HDMI output. All that's doing is sharing the screen with the connected device. It has no effect on the range.

Thanks msinger after replying to this thread and doing more research I found those same results.

So this is my plan however I would like to get thoughts from more experienced pilots before I go through all the trouble. As previously mentioned I just received my new goggles RE on Friday so I’m still within the return window for a full refund. I still really want the goggles though. I have read that the original white edition goggles with the Mavic 2 Zoom is not experiencing the same range issues that I’m getting with the RE goggles. Granted at max distance I would only be able to get around 4km since the white version only uses the 2.4ghz however that’s way better than the 700m drop out that I’m experiencing with my RE.

Can anyone confirm if indeed the original white edition goggles works better with the Mavic 2 with zero dropout issues like we are getting with the RE?

I was using the Original white edition goggles from DJI lately (a friend of mine has one). I was totally not impressed by the image quality. You can definitely see that the image is 720p. Why would you consider a 720p over a 1080p screen i.c.w. a Mavic 2 (transfers 1080p image)? BTW I than was flying over 2 km with no issues.

I was using the Original white edition goggles from DJI lately (a friend of mine has one). I was totally not impressed by the image quality. You can definitely see that the image is 720p. Why would you consider a 720p over a 1080p screen i.c.w. a Mavic 2 (transfers 1080p image)? BTW I than was flying over 2 km with no issues.

I hear you and trust me not something I want to do which is why I purchased the RE goggles to begin with.

When you used your friends while version did you experience any range issues?

I hear you and trust me not something I want to do which is why I purchased the RE goggles to begin with.

When you used your friends while version did you experience any range issues?

Shoot sorry Mavic maniacs I see where you mentioned that you were flying over 2km with no issues that’s a big help thank you.

So now it’s a question of do I sacrifice picture quality for range? Or do I continue to wait for DJI to come out with a fix for the range issues with the RE? Or do I say heck with the goggles all together return them get a full refund and put my money towards the SC lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh