DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some Newbie Questions..

nonoti

Reactions
Having just bought my drone a few weeks ago, i've done a few flights but have some questions I'm hoping more experienced users can help me with?

1. Is any processing for flight done on the PHONE? Sometimes i'm finding the DJI app on my iphone becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. I'de hate that to lead to holding up any processing on the drone and it makes a mistake?
2. What ways or how can one tell whether its windier higher up? I could manually fly her up and see what stability is like but i'm asking more for the "dronie" shots where the drone flies back and high by itself - pretty quickly. What if its doing that and hits an air stream higher up?
3. With its legs and props fully open, would the Mavic air float if it landed on water? I don't intend to but I want to shoot over water a lot and am worried if something happened and it fell, would it float? Its bright red so hopefully would be seen.

So far its been good, with the exception of one thing i did wrong - I set a max flight distance of 100m. I then flew it and chose the dronie shot. It flew back fast but it must have hit the 100m distance set and tried so hard to stop itself it almost flipped. I got a real fright but it somehow recovered its horizontal plane again and hovered fine.

So far I'm really enjoying the drone, its a feat of engineering to say the least!

Is any processing for flight done on the PHONE?
No.

i'm finding the DJI app on my iphone becomes unresponsive for a few seconds
Try these tips to optimize the performance on your iPhone:
Install DJI GO on an Apple Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide)

What ways or how can one tell whether its windier higher up?
Fly up to the max altitude you'll be flying and see if the Mavic Air has any trouble hovering in place. If the altitude indicator shows the aircraft is tilted, then the wind is strong. If the Mavic Air is not able to hold its position and is slowly drifting away, then the wind is too strong to fly.

With its legs and props fully open, would the Mavic air float if it landed on water?
No -- it will sink like a rock.

Last edited:
As the apk (android) bloats with records, this affects hardware resources, no diff than computer housekeeping. To prove, i clouded my internal folder, uninstalled, reinstalled sought version, big difference latencies diminish absolutely.
Same conceptual housecleaning the internal mem both device dji

Mavic Air users, what range do you normally get?

I recently took my Mavic out into the middle of nowhere. It was 3 cars, all of us parked and turned off surrounded by about 4-5KM of fields around us.

I flew the Mavic Air up and at around 300m away from me (56m high) i got signal warnings of high interference - but there's NOTHING around me i'm in the sticks.

At 426m video fell away completely and drone signal was about 20%. I'm pretty sure if i have not turned her around she would have come back due to signal loss soon.

This is far off from the 4KM video and 10KM range people are claiming? Am I doing something wrong? The antennas were pointed at the drone the whole time.

PS - in another area, more built-up with possibly other Wi-Fi it also started moaning of week signal at around 200m away from me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR