DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobing/Jerky video...

Cymru

Reactions
This has been driving me mad since day 1 with the M2P and im still trying to get to the bottom of the cause.

Ultimately when (relatively) close to object, the closest ones appear to strobe/jerk when flying quickly.
This is apparent flying forward/backwards but VERY apparent flying parallel to something.

Its not frame rate - im shooting at 1/60th (and have tried 1/30th, same thing). Its present in h.264 and h.265. Present in D-log and standard modes. Ive tried several different v30 rated SD cards.

Im thinking its possibly compression related.

Its fairly clear here from 17 seconds onwards - look at the vertical edges of the foreground houses for example.

Link to full, uncompressed video is here:-

Any idea if this is just compression or if not, any way around it? Its meaning a large number of shot types simply aren't possible for me.

This has been driving me mad since day 1 with the M2P and im still trying to get to the bottom of the cause.

Ultimately when (relatively) close to object, the closest ones appear to strobe/jerk when flying quickly.
This is apparent flying forward/backwards but VERY apparent flying parallel to something.

Its not frame rate - im shooting at 1/60th (and have tried 1/30th, same thing). Its present in h.264 and h.265. Present in D-log and standard modes. Ive tried several different v30 rated SD cards.

Its fairly clear here from 17 seconds onwards - look at the vertical edges of the foreground houses for example.

Any idea if this is just compression or if not, any way around it? Its meaning a large number of shot types simply aren't possible for me.
Playback is smooth as silk for me on my phone and iMac.
I did not view the full file with the Google Drive link as it had not loaded for me after a minute (My internet has 1GB/sec speed)

Perfectly smooth for me too on iPhone 8.

What are you viewing it on?

Cymru, I had a similar issue editing on my laptop (surface book). I transferred the files to my desktop for editing and all OK. I suspect I may have had to many files open which caused the jerky movements of the video.

I downloaded the file and it plays fine, there is no jerking or strobing. There are some artifacts but that is due to the limitations of the sensor.
Are you over sharpening in post ?

Its not editing - the youtube and google drive file are both directly off the SD card with no post processing at all.

Can't see it on a small screen, but expanding to full screen I can definitely see some shimmering vibration you mention. Not sure why...looks like a cache copy of the clip. Have you tried a different SD card?

Its not cached and yep ive tried many SD cards over 2+ years.

Got another to shot it off a bit more:-

If you look at the bottom 1/3 of the image once the speed picks up theres clear strobing/flickering on the foreground.

Its more apparently in the straight from SD card video here:-

Thats the effect i mean.

Settings again 1/60th, 30fps played back at 30fps. Unedited in any software.

I downloaded both files and examined them on MacBook Pro ... Perfectly normal annoyance for any video or film made this way, aerial or not. What you see it's a stuttering effect indeed, typical with fast panning or forward passages at low distances above ground (case #2). Additionally brutal H.264/265 compression codec can't copy efficiently and consistently with fast changing frames content, what is particularly visible on texture rich parts closest to the camera (#2). Please note that the scenery far and beyond fast moving ground below is played properly. The same will be true with fast sideway flight, obviously less noticeable at higher frame rates, but always. The only way to deal with this is to employ a motion blur with shutter speed twice the frame rate, assuming that this common trick is unknown to you. Another advices ... Fly slower, try to master POI approach when filming sideway, keep the main subject in centre (i.e. tracking) ...

Compression is what i feared. Im at the limit of 100mbit is going to be able to stuff in. It does look like the limit of the m2 and any shot of this type simple isnt possible with an acceptable quality then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron613