DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobon - Standalone LED Strobe: Configurations

I have my light ordered and should arrive today. My hope is that will increase daytime LOS as well as allowing me to stay FAA compliant for 1/2 hour after sunset.

I can modify these mounts to face them downward. Would that work for you?

That would be awesome!!!

I'm having a internal debate with myself:

1)The LED's are really meant for other aircrafts to spot the Mavic easier, so theoretically they should be mounted on the top (flying under the 400 ft ceiling per FAA). If I mount it on the top of the Mavic, it makes it harder for me to orient what direction the aircraft is facing (I'm a newbie, don't laugh)

2)If the LED's are mounted on the legs like your current configuration (oriented toward front or rear), this may hinder how effective it would be for both other aircrafts and myself.

3)If the LED's are mounted on the bottom of the Mavic, that defeats the purpose of easy spotting (by other pilots)!!

So it really boils down to: are the LED's for me or for others?
-Jeff

I've just ordered a white and a red Cree strobon, you can get 15% discount from flytron using code ILOVEMYMAVIC too.

Reactions: Luther
If the LED's are mounted on the legs like your current configuration (oriented toward front or rear), this may hinder how effective it would be for both other aircrafts and myself.
I think the only advantage of mounting the light on the side of the arm (the current configuration) is that you could use different colored lights to figure out the orientation of the Mavic from afar (e.g. point red lights toward the front and white lights toward the back).

Got mine yesterday. My but that sucker is tiny and bright! Now I need to figure out a cool place to mount it. I'm curious whether it will increase daytime visibility. The top of the battery does look dorky. but is probably the most functional.

What about these? The main difference between Mike's and IMP's are 1)front + rear 2)front + rear + rear (tail) 3)the tail holder can be rotated to allow rear-ward and down-ward LED orientation.

DJI Mavic Pro Standalone Strobon Cree No Velcro Strobe Light Holders. Options for 3 or 5 Strobe Lights ( Please Select from Pull Down Menu)

Got mine yesterday. My but that sucker is tiny and bright! Now I need to figure out a cool place to mount it. I'm curious whether it will increase daytime visibility. The top of the battery does look dorky. but is probably the most functional.

It definitely will increase daytime visibility. I now have 2 red facing the rear and 2 white facing the front. Unbelievable what a difference.
B/T/W I would strongly recommend purchasing these from [email protected]. The service is perfect.

Reactions: msinger
Got it. That makes perfect sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

To be close to aircraft specs, I put Red on Left leg extension, Green on right leg extension and white on the rear legs part. They face front on front and rear on rear. They'll get a good workout tonight at a friends fireworks display!

Just flew it Sunday night at a friends fireworks display (private preserve in river bluff country). At 400' the strobes were as bright as the sparks, which I had to back further away from. I have no doubts it would be noticed for miles away at night. No problems keeping track of its location, almost painful to look at with dark adapted eyes though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnyaibo
Forgive my naivety but what is the main purpose for these lights during the day? I can understand how these would come in handy during night flights or close to dawn or dusk but otherwise what's the point? Do they actually help with aircraft location during the day? Serious question.

I find the drone is really hard to see against a dark background such as a mountainside or trees. Not a problem if you live somewhere flat, but I am definitely going to see if a strobe helps (mine arrived today...).

That would be awesome!!!

I'm having a internal debate with myself:
So it really boils down to: are the LED's for me or for others?
-Jeff

I put a Firehouse white strobe (4 LED) on top, and a red one on the bottom, both held in place with 3M Dual Lock.

I put a higher priority on MY being able to see it. Most of the time that I've flown, I don't see any aircraft at all, and when I do, I hear them first. Given that I'm looking up at the drone with an uncluttered sky background, and any pilot above me would have to notice the drone against a rather complex ground, with a lot of moving objects, it's far more likely that I will see him first, and be in the best position to prevent any conflict.

Bottom line for me is that the strobes are for me, to help me stay away from them...serving the interests of both.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-3_23-23-0.png
    upload_2018-8-3_23-23-0.png
    240 KB · Views: 21
Forgive my naivety but what is the main purpose for these lights during the day? Do they actually help with aircraft location during the day? Serious question.

Having tried my Strobon for the first time a couple of days ago I answer that with a Yes.Flying on a bright sunny day, the done (and its red lights) were invisible 200m away against a backdrop of trees when pointing towards me; on yawing the craft 180° (the strobe is fitted on the back) it was easily and clearly visible. In a later experiment I flew it directly above me up 100m and the strobe was visible against the bright sky.

I use a few different types of lights: strobons, EasyTec strobes, and generic bike lights. Here's a couple set-ups. I would say go with what works for you best -- as long as you can see the drone and orientation you're good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev