DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

That was bloody terrifying! I'm hooked!

Tig

Reactions
First ever drone flight today with my (drunk purchase) Air 2 and it was bloody terrifying! No one said it would be! I don't even think the first time I did a solo in a fixed wing I was this worried!

I walked out with confidence, did all the pre-flight checks, remembered to click record after initiating hover, did some quick control tests to see that everything was working (and that I understood the controls) and as soon as I had to look up to see the drone, I suddenly realised that VLOS means nothing, these things are so tiny that what you're really looking out for is any hazards for your drone, or that your drone is a hazard to, then trying to understand the correlation between map, video feedback, and knowledge of where you are!

Oh boy am I utterly hooked! ???

For some arrogant, self assured reason, I thought that flying actual aircraft was going to make this 'toy flying' so simple that I may even get bored with it! Well that reality came home like a kick from a horse to the dangly bits!

I now understand that the amazing footage some of you are uploading isn't luck, it is pure skill and talent that is hard earned and, in my opinion, deserves respect!

I shall upload an edited middle section of my first 10 minute flight as soon as my poor laptop has encoded it (and I've uploaded, somewhere, probably YouTube for now) but until that's done, I'm going to be looking at what the rest of you are doing and with a far better understanding of how much harder this really is.

Fly safe, stay healthy!

First ever drone flight today with my (drunk purchase) Air 2 and it was bloody terrifying! No one said it would be! I don't even think the first time I did a solo in a fixed wing I was this worried!

I walked out with confidence, did all the pre-flight checks, remembered to click record after initiating hover, did some quick control tests to see that everything was working (and that I understood the controls) and as soon as I had to look up to see the drone, I suddenly realised that VLOS means nothing, these things are so tiny that what you're really looking out for is any hazards for your drone, or that your drone is a hazard to, then trying to understand the correlation between map, video feedback, and knowledge of where you are!

For some arrogant, self assured reason, I thought that flying actual aircraft was going to make this 'toy flying' so simple that I may even get bored with it! Well that reality came home like a kick from a horse to the dangly bits!

I now understand that the amazing footage some of you are uploading isn't luck, it is pure skill and talent that is hard earned and, in my opinion, deserves respect!

I shall upload an edited middle section of my first 10 minute flight as soon as my poor laptop has encoded it (and I've uploaded, somewhere, probably YouTube for now) but until that's done, I'm going to be looking at what the rest of you are doing and with a far better understanding of how much harder this really is.

Fly safe, stay healthy!

Fly safe, stay healthy!
Welcome to DRONE 101. If you are like me and not a gamer addict - the controls are not natural. Also with somewhat shaky hands - moving the sticks / gimbal thumbwheel can be quite scary / jumpy - even in tripod mode and adjusting YAW movements in the settings.

Been practicing for a year and when I think I've got it down good - another "whoopsie" pops up - like wind tree limbs, etc that can cause a moment of anxiety / fear. Still working on my flying / camera skills - then will take on video editing. I already know picture editing having photographed for decades - yet never had much time in a video editor.

Alway something to keep an old man's mind racing along and not become sedentary.

Just keep flying, having FUN, and learning along the way. Can't wait for some videos / pics.

BTW - the forum recommends VIMEO for video sharing. You can use he FREE version, but very limited on space / uploads. Basic package allows 5GB of uploads a week. It works for me.

When I got my first phantom, years ago, I went to a hobby shop to find out about local RC flying clubs. I asked the owner how long it might take me to feel confident. He said, "About a month." I said, "It won't take me that long... I'm a pilot." He then replied, "In that case about 6 months..."

Welcome to the forum. So you're hooked....now come the accessories and the upgrades.
I would never do that! Didn't get the propeller holders, lanyard kit, landing mat, UV/IR filter, or yet another USB-C to USB-C for connecting to my Surface Go 2 while out - Oh wait, yeah, see what you mean!

Fly safe, stay healthy!
Love your sense of humour. Welcome to the fly thing in the air, world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada