DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Moverio Drone Soar App thread (renamed)

I tried the Soar app today and it worked. I was able to download the maps and use the app for about an hour with 3 batteries. The controller for the glasses stayed cool. I always hide it from the sun and keep it in the shade but decided to expose it for the full hour to a hot sun. The controller never got hot it got a little warm but never hot. Usually I bring along a power pack to keep the controller of the Mavic charged it is very poor and runs out of power quite quickly. I forgot today and the MA controller went down to 10% but I am sure the BT glasses controller could have gone on remaining only warm. The app is a huge improvement it keeps the BT glasses controller from overheating. It was at 44% power. The outside temperature it was only 20 C and the humidity low but it was exposed to the sun. If he app can repeat this then it is a huge success and solves the biggest problem at the BT 300 glasses.

Great news John. Thanks for the update. Did you say you got it working with MA?

Thanks!

If you continue to get the disconnected notice, try this. Start the Soar app, make sure the DJI or Litchi is not loaded. When you get the disconnected notice disconnect the BT controller, I removed the micro usb, and reconnected it. Repeat this until you get the which app menu. In my case I now have Sour, DJI Go and Litchi. Select Soar and choose one time only.
You should then be reconnected. I found the easiest way to the menu is to tap on the BT controller track pad. One thing I would like, as well as how many satellites I am connected to, is the ability to change the speed reading from meters per second to kilometers an hour. But these are minor issues. The main issue is that it is a big improvement on the bloated DJI 4 go app.
The simple interface is growing on me. Almost like going back to DOS :) or Windows 2.0. Now let see if it can cope with very high temperature and humidity. I will find out in a few months when I return the LOS in high season. Or even the rising temperature and humidity in the Australian summer.

I tried the Soar app today and it worked. I was able to download the maps and use the app for about an hour with 3 batteries. The controller for the glasses stayed cool. I always hide it from the sun and keep it in the shade but decided to expose it for the full hour to a hot sun. The controller never got hot it got a little warm but never hot. Usually I bring along a power pack to keep the controller of the Mavic charged it is very poor and runs out of power quite quickly. I forgot today and the MA controller went down to 10% but I am sure the BT glasses controller could have gone on remaining only warm. The app is a huge improvement it keeps the BT glasses controller from overheating. It was at 44% power. The outside temperature it was only 20 C and the humidity low but it was exposed to the sun. If he app can repeat this then it is a huge success and solves the biggest problem at the BT 300 glasses.

Hi John,

I've been away from the group for a bit and was encouraged to hear the new Soar may have things running a bit cooler. I have not yet had a chance to download Soar but I will soon. I just wanted to tell you I can fly all day long if the outside temperature is below 33C (90F) using DJI GO.

~Bill

I am not that lucky Bill. I can't fly in the high 20s C. I am not sure what the cut offs are but I do know its a combination of temperature and humidity. I can fly in Perth in the mid 20s C, if the humidity is low. If the humidity is high I can not fly in the low 20s. Wind and exposure to the sun are also factors. So although it is complex the basic truth is that the BT glasses can not work in highish temp, humidity with low wind and exposed to the sun with the Go app.
My initial experiences are that the Soar app can tolerate a lot more of these elements and remain cool. How much so I don't know. But I do know it is a big improvement based on a few days use.
When all these four elements are not challenging we can fly all day with the glasses.
After many months of speculation it all makes sense now. The Go app is way too cpu and general resource, demanding, to work with the BT glasses effectively.
We can soar a little higher now, how much, time and testing will tell.

John,

Looking forward to hearing your results with Soar. Hoping for the best.

I wonder if the high humidity on the touch pad is causing you an issue? Perhaps the cover with a fan jtus has developed may provided enough air movement to prevent moisture build up on the pad.

When the outside temp here is high, almost always the humidity is very low. Perhaps that is why I can fly in high temperatures.

~Bill

Humidity is defiantly an issue Bill. And jtus mod is defiantly a solution, and we may still have to use it. But if the Soar can operate in conditions where all four factors are present then there may not be a need. But jtus magic box is brilliant.

I thought I would give Soar a try. My experience was not all that great. The app runs but I noticed the video is a bit delayed (far more than DJO GO) and jerky. Also no collision avoidance or audio messages. Have not yet looked to see if there are some setting to activate these functions or not. I understand it is a new release and I am hoping things will settle down and more features will appear.

I don't think the unit has audio without using a earpiece does it?

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I was using an earphone. The same earphone I use with DJI GO.

I flew the Soar app with the MP for over an hour (3 batteries) to day. Then almost half an hour with MA with the go app using the BT glasses. I checked how much battery life was left on the BT glasses controller because it lasted a long time with all that flying. It would normally flashed me with a low power warning by now. Sugar! 58% power left. Not only does it stay cool but it the Soar app uses a lot less power. Very, very nice. One less thing to worry about.

Reactions: ksmusa
I flew the Soar app with the MP for over an hour (3 batteries) to day. Then almost half an hour with MA with the go app using the BT glasses. I checked how much battery life was left on the BT glasses controller because it lasted a long time with all that flying. It would normally flashed me with a low power warning by now. Sugar! 58% power left. Not only does it stay cool but it the Soar app uses a lot less power. Very, very nice. One less thing to worry about.
Did you notice if your flights log in on DJI and Air Data?

I tried out the beta and missed two things... Flying my Mavic Air and no flight data.
And no satellites, and very limited data in general. And its no where near as pretty as the Go app.
However, so far, no over heating, that is the real biggy for many in hot, humid climes or who visit them.
If it copes with high temps and humidity I don't care about the other limitations as long as I can use my glasses without blackouts. You can always, briefly switch over to the go app to check other data out like sats and then go back and Soar without worry. Me happy to fly and see at the same time.

Reactions: chuck1026
I did 2 batteries yesterday and the Soar app is growing on me. Nice uncluttered interface. The headtracking is a bit temperamental but I don't know if that is due to my calibration issues. So next time I'll do an outside calibration of the headset. Up/Down movement works fine - it is the side to side movement that is a bit iffy.

And plenty of battery left after the flights - so no issue there. And it was 30+ degrees outside and no controller heat issues. But my did do a couple of funny moves but I don't know if that was heat or interference from a tiny "acrobatic" drone that kept pestering us - every time he was flying many of us got interference.

After the flights I updated to latest firmware on remote and mavic pro - so lets see what happens next. I did fly with someone who had the new Parrot - neat and TINY ! But he got Acrobatic Drone Interference as well.

Flights do not seem to get registered anywhere. I connected iPhone later and did a sync flights and the flights did not sync.

Reactions: chuck1026
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143