DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There’s no clear glass in the replacable lens frame!

DCM-PA

Reactions
OK, so has anyone else seen this ? Yesterday before heading out with the new bird I unmounted the stock lens cover by the ever so gentle ccw twist - which happened very easily - so that I could mount one of the DJI ND filters that came with the bird. I did this indoors with good seating and lighting after reading about difficulties folks had.

To my astonishment, the item removed - it's just a blank frame with no glass! Is this normal? I'm astonished there's no protective clear optical glass, just a blank plastic cover for the filter attachment slots !?!

Here's a few shots. As you can see, there's no evidence of any glass having been mounted on the blank frame, like little glue marks or whatever? Is it time to reach out to DJI or am I not alone ?

Thanks all......

IMG_20200514_173410.jpgIMG_20200514_171005.jpgIMG_20200514_173458.jpg

Reactions: Ranger#1
OK, so has anyone else seen this ? Yesterday before heading out with the new bird I unmounted the stock lens cover by the ever so gentle ccw twist - which happened very easily - so that I could mount one of the DJI ND filters that came with the bird. I did this indoors with good seating and lighting after reading about difficulties folks had.

To my astonishment, the item removed - it's just a blank frame with no glass! Is this normal? I'm astonished there's no protective clear optical glass, just a blank plastic cover for the filter attachment slots !?!

Here's a few shots. As you can see, there's no evidence of any glass having been mounted on the blank frame, like little glue marks or whatever? Is it time to reach out to DJI or am I not alone ?

Thanks all......

View attachment 101352View attachment 101353View attachment 101351
The original Mavic Air 1 is the same way. No glass lens as well. Only the lens ring.

Nothing surprising regarding that ... not even DSLR lenses with really hefty price tags doesn't have that, if you want extra protection buy a UV filter and attach instead of the frame.

Nothing surprising regarding that ... not even DSLR lenses with really hefty price tags doesn't have that, if you want extra protection buy a UV filter and attach instead of the frame.
He has the filters already as he had mentioned in his post. ;)

He has the filters already as he had mentioned in his post. ;)
Yepp ... he have ND filters, but they are no good to use constantly for protection as they slow down the shutter. UV filters on the other hand will not change exposure or create any kind of color shifts, perfect as extra protection. ;) ?

Yepp ... he have ND filters, but they are no good to use constantly for protection as they slow down the shutter. UV filters on the other hand will not change exposure or create any kind of color shifts, perfect as extra protection. ;) ?
Thanks slup ........... and here I had thought since they included the ND set the stock frame would have included optical glass... good reason to grab a UV filter I think. Thanks.... PS - PolarPro ND/PL set is on order too.

I know the factory one on my M2Z camera has clear glass in it. I always put it in the filter case when I install a dark filter, and then switch them back when finished. But again, that is with the M2Z.

• Wow
I am fighting with DJI about this right now. They had clear filters on all previous models. You have to have them for possible rain damage or twilight. They don't sell them. It is crazy and I just sent them an e-mail telling them to send me one.

I am fighting with DJI about this right now. They had clear filters on all previous models. You have to have them for possible rain damage or twilight. They don't sell them. It is crazy and I just sent them an e-mail telling them to send me one.
There was no clear filter on the original Mavic Air either.

Hey DCM-PA, I have the same issue on my DJI Air 2S. No glass on the empty frame Lens. I do have the $-ND filters, but would like a clear class lens to use especially at night. Where can you buy a DJI Clear Glass Lens Frames, besides the UV filters?

Hey DCM-PA, I have the same issue on my DJI Air 2S. No glass on the empty frame Lens. I do have the $-ND filters, but would like a clear class lens to use especially at night. Where can you buy a DJI Clear Glass Lens Frames, besides the UV filters?
It's just a cover to protect the ND filter mounts (and also make it look nice). That's all it's supposed to be (and has ever been) on the Air range.

A clear glass lens = UV filter :)

This is the one I use...

Any unnecessary glass in front of a lens is a source of unwanted reflections/extra dirt, no reason to use one especially at night.

Extra dirt? Can you explain that?

Definitely get one, one of the best small investments you can make to protect the lens glass ??

Extra dirt? Can you explain that?
The 2 surfaces of the filter are places for dust to cling to and a pain to clean?

You're (hopefully) not handling a drone like you're handling a DSLR dangling off a strap so protecting the lens glass isn't a big deal.

I keep CPL Polarizer filters on all my drones. I like the way they make the footage look anyway, and they don't cut down the light entering the camera. It just cuts reflected light.

Reactions: pommy
The 2 surfaces of the filter are places for dust to cling to and a pain to clean?

You're (hopefully) not handling a drone like you're handling a DSLR dangling off a strap so protecting the lens glass isn't a big deal.

Not following your logic. How is that different from using a ND filter?

Also - the clear UV is to protect the lens when wiping sea salt, bugs and dirt off.

Hopefully you don’t go 20m/s with you DSLR ?

This is the one I use...

Schott optically coated is great glass.
I stock / sell if for picture framing, the 2mm low reflection, less than 1% reflection, and hard coated so it has virtually no reflection, and resists abrasion really well.

Most good ND filters, and for that matter UV and PL, are multicoated nano particle hard coated, again with low reflection properties.

Reactions: pommy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe