DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

There's no general threat using Google Assistant with Go 4 app. "DJI Drone could kill…"

But I didn't know it was going to be dangerous. No one on the planet knew that, until it happend. It just like talking to someone while flying. Is that dangerous?
People are always coming up to me and many other drone flyers and asking questions.

Reactions: Dronage
Millions all over the planet are using assistants, gnirtS, Siri, Google Assistant and Microsoft's Cortana. Virtual assistants are being used in homes, cars and on your device. There is a drone that uses some basic commands, forget its name. I use it many times a day, for a multitude of things.
I just got back from Thailand and used it constantly for weather reports, exchange rates. I met up with 4 mates and 3 of them were pulling their phones out for questions. You can activate it when it's in your pocket. I set alarms; find emails I am looking for make notes, shopping lists. I even use it to find my phone in the house or car when I lose it. Directions, TV programs times the list is endless.

You should try it, it’s amazing technology. Virtual Assistants (VA) use Artificial Intelligence to learn your voice and the kind of thing you have been looking for.
A VA will be on your DJI drone soon, I mean new drones to come. It will be built into a DJI Go app. Not in the near future though :)

Really try one on your phone it is amazingly accurate and fast. GA is by far the best one on the market at the moment. Give it a few years and every house hold will have at least one. They are in many “digital” homes now where they are used to control temperature and other household items VA. I am planning to do a video on VA and “the internet of things” but that is not relevant to this forum. I think it’s the most amazing technology a lot of fun as well.

So, you talk on the phone while you're supposed to be piloting? Socializing with all the people that you shouldnt be flying near in the first place? It appears there will be more danger in your future. Odd that you wait for it to happen before you figure out it is a mistake. I fear it is going to take a serious event to get you to see the light.

Millions all over the planet are using assistants, gnirtS, Siri, Google Assistant and Microsoft's Cortana. Virtual assistants are being used in homes, cars and on your device. There is a drone that uses some basic commands, forget its name. I use it many times a day, for a multitude of things.
I just got back from Thailand and used it constantly for weather reports, exchange rates. I met up with 4 mates and 3 of them were pulling their phones out for questions. You can activate it when it's in your pocket. I set alarms; find emails I am looking for make notes, shopping lists. I even use it to find my phone in the house or car when I lose it. Directions, TV programs times the list is endless.

You should try it, it’s amazing technology. Virtual Assistants (VA) use Artificial Intelligence to learn your voice and the kind of thing you have been looking for.
A VA will be on your DJI drone soon, I mean new drones to come. It will be built into a DJI Go app. Not in the near future though :)

Really try one on your phone it is amazingly accurate and fast. GA is by far the best one on the market at the moment. Give it a few years and every house hold will have at least one. They are in many “digital” homes now where they are used to control temperature and other household items VA. I am planning to do a video on VA and “the internet of things” but that is not relevant to this forum. I think it’s the most amazing technology a lot of fun as well.
Yes,but the point here,is if you are flying a drone,do not get distracted,by trying to multi task YOU ARE FLYING AN AIRCRAFT,and should be aware and in control.as i said,a bit like texting and driving if your going to fly ,fly if you want to do ANYTHING else land your aircraft first.If i have anyone approach me while flying,i tell them to back off ,and then i land and will talk if they are interested.

No I don't talk on the phone while I am flying because I turn it off now. Even before the issue arose I did not talk to anyone on my phone. I can't help it if an old guy walks up to me from a hundred meters from me and starts a conversation. It's nothing like texting while driving as I said it's more like someone comes up to you and starts talking to you. Do you tell them to " **** off I'm flying a drone." Or just as bad ignoring them.
Give it a rest. Making a mountain out of a molehill.

No I don't talk on the phone while I am flying because I turn it off now. Even before the issue arose I did not talk to anyone on my phone. I can't help it if an old guy walks up to me from a hundred meters from me and starts a conversation. It's nothing like texting while driving as I said it's more like someone comes up to you and starts talking to you. Do you tell them to " **** off I'm flying a drone." Or just as bad ignoring them.
Give it a rest. Making a mountain out of a molehill.
Yep your most certainly making a mountain out of a molehill,that we can agree on!

Go on then kyle you can have the last word.

Please do pass on the warning about using GA with the Go app. I have no doubt that sooner or later a DJI drone will do damage to things or worse people.

On a lighter note, you can't always trust Virtual Assistants.

I use word on my phone to create shopping lists. So lazy I don't type but speak into it. Its pretty efficient and fast.
But there are exceptions.
I put a reminder in this morning and said
"Paracetamol and ibuprofen."
I just looked at it and it said.
"Paracetamol and you have a boyfriend."
****! News to me, didn't know what the hell was happening, till it dawned on me.
Sorry for cross posts to other Pilots forums.

Go on then kyle you can have the last word.

Please do pass on the warning about using GA with the Go app. I have no doubt that sooner or later a DJI drone will do damage to things or worse people.

On a lighter note, you can't always trust Virtual Assistants.

I use word on my phone to create shopping lists. So lazy I don't type but speak into it. Its pretty efficient and fast.
But there are exceptions.
I put a reminder in this morning and said
"Paracetamol and ibuprofen."
I just looked at it and it said.
"Paracetamol and you have a boyfriend."
****! News to me, didn't know what the **** was happening, till it dawned on me.
Sorry for cross posts to other Pilots forums.
No worries John mate,peace out :)

I watched your video with great disappointment I use the S9+ and before flying it goes into aeroplane mode screen brightness and volume are set before takeoff and have never experienced a problem. I find it hard to believe you use an assistant app to help you do this but that wasn't the worst part of your video. When you supposedly lost control your fingers were all over your sticks not making any problem better. You really need to look at how you react when something goes wrong otherwise someone will get hurt watch your video watch your fingers your reactions not good enough. I believe your flight data will reveal a different story. Hope you learn something.
Your DJI Drone could kill you or someone close to you.
Or at least do some serious damage to you or people near you!

Please send this serious warning to as many places as possible.
If you are flying with an Android device and initiate Google Assistant with “Ok Google” or “Hi Google” and you are flying your DJI drone with DJI go app your aircraft becomes totally out of control.
Take a look at this video.
I have been in constant contact with DJI, almost 20 emails for many weeks and they refuse to put out a general warning to DJI go app users not to engage Google Assistant.
Their response has been this.
“Kindly noted that I have updated the flightrecords as you provided back on MAR 21ST to the Field Application Engineering team…”
“As you mentioned, on your previous emails, it is unsafe for the people around. We appreciate your effort however to provide us with the needed records for our designated developers to review the flight and confirm your claimed issue with the DJI GO 4 app when used with the Google Assistant.”

DJI know there is a problem and a serious one. I know they are working very hard at solving the problem, but they are refusing to warn the public.

Please pass this warning to as many as you can.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I am afraid you have not understood the main point of the post and video mel.m. it is not the S9+ that is the problem it is Google Assistant that is the problem. GA can run on any of the higher end phones.
I am very sorry you suffered “great disappointment” it would be better not to read any of my posts or watch any of my videos, I would not l be happy if you were greatly disappointed again.
I also watch a lot of videos that are not of good quality, but I never make a negative comment I just don’t see the point in doing so. I just avoid them and move on.
Thank you to people who have made positive and constructive comments, good Karma upon you.
My whole point was to warn people using GA while flying to prevent possible injury.

I am afraid you have not understood the main point of the post and video mel.m. it is not the S9+ that is the problem it is Google Assistant that is the problem. GA can run on any of the higher end phones.
I am very sorry you suffered “great disappointment” it would be better not to read any of my posts or watch any of my videos, I would not l be happy if you were greatly disappointed again.
I also watch a lot of videos that are not of good quality, but I never make a negative comment I just don’t see the point in doing so. I just avoid them and move on.
Thank you to people who have made positive and constructive comments, good Karma upon you.
My whole point was to warn people using GA while flying to prevent possible injury.

But don't you think it is a bit strange that (as far as I can see) not a single other user has reported such a problematic issue? Google search turns up nothing on this subject except your posts here and on PhantomPilots. I think that you maybe need to consider that this problem might be limited to you and your equipment, rather than a widespread issue. Do you have any evidence otherwise?

I dont know anyone who uses google assistant or siri during a flight to begin with. Not something a responsible person would allow to happen.
I could see it being a problem as many people have Google Assistant sent to automatically launch whenever "Ok Google" is said. So the "solution" would be to disable it and re-enable it _every time you fly.

Regardless, the DJI app should not send bad flight commends whenever _any_ app is used. The controller should be on control of the flight at all times.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
I am aware of that sar104 and have said so a few times. I hope it is true, solve my particular issue I can then use GA when I want and no one else would get hurt.
That would be my ideal outcome.
But I think not, DJI are very concerned and indicated there is an issue on more than one occasion. They seem to be working on it and putting a lot of time and effort into it, that is what they have told me.
It is very odd that no one else has used GA while flying with the Go 4 app. I have also pointed out that disabling GA is often, not always, very difficult. If you google how to disable it, it sometimes works and sometimes does not.
If I never posted any warning and someone got hurt I would feel a ****. So I had to report it and emphasis it.

I am aware of that sar104 and have said so a few times. I hope it is true, solve my particular issue I can then use GA when I want and no one else would get hurt.
That would be my ideal outcome.
But I think not, DJI are very concerned and indicated there is an issue on more than one occasion. They seem to be working on it and putting a lot of time and effort into it, that is what they have told me.
It is very odd that no one else has used GA while flying with the Go 4 app. I have also pointed out that disabling GA is often, not always, very difficult. If you google how to disable it, it sometimes works and sometimes does not.
If I never posted any warning and someone got hurt I would feel a ****. So I had to report it and emphasis it.

I think it's completely appropriate for you to report what you experienced but, given that no one else has, and based on the responses that you got from DJI, I think this is an isolated problem. At that point your continued posting about it with titles such as this one start to look like some kind of crazy crusade.

It would also be helpful if you could even find and post a flight log showing this behavior, rather than just lobbing random files at us that don't show anything that you describe or expecting us to wade through all your flight logs. Most people reporting issues on these forums have no trouble finding the correct flight log to post, so I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661