DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This crap is why laws are being passed against drones

Not sure why the story is so far fetched. In my career, I’ve seen a lot of injuries like this from a variety of things...getting struck in the face with an object. Not sure if the skin across the bridge of the nose is week but it’s common to see cuts here. Yes, there could be more to the story...but to say “oh, there is no way a drone could cause that” is nonsense. Her story isn’t far fetched, especially with video of a drone flying in that area during that time.

And so what if she’s wearing headphones? I wouldn’t for personal safety but yes, people walk and run everyday on sidewalks while wearing headphones. Again, doesn’t discount what she’s saying...and even with no headphones, when someone isn’t expecting something to fall out of the sky and hit them, it probably would have still surprised her.

In the "news" video, the drone certainly seems relatively large compared to the (knowable) size of the windows, balconies, etc. of the building - something is not right with this perspective.

Reactions: W2EJ
The video is odd with several screengrabs inexplicably only clearly showing two arms.
She also says he *thought* a drone hit her but then it *disappeared*.
Surely almost everyone would recognise loud buzzy motors 100% nowadays.
If it's literally in your face you aren't going to be the least bit uncertain.
Something about the whole story seems suspect.
If it fell out of control after crashing into a cable or something how did it disappear.

Reactions: Niblett
I'm not going to doubt her story, especially if there's video of a drone in the area.

However.....

Her injury looks similar to when Fabio took a bird to the face.

The video is odd with several screengrabs inexplicably only clearly showing two arms.
She also says he *thought* a drone hit her but then it *disappeared*.
Surely almost everyone would recognise loud buzzy motors 100% nowadays.
If it's literally in your face you aren't going to be the least bit uncertain.
Something about the whole story seems suspect.
If it fell out of control after crashing into a cable or something how did it disappear.
You know, I was just watching the video and I was just thinking exactly the same thing! Where are the other 2 arms on the drone? Having said that, her injury does look (to me) to be consistent with a prop striking the bridge of her nose, albeit ever so slightly by the extent of her injuries? I have stupidly managed to cut my fingers on my MP props. I know, I'm a total d**k! And the shape of her injury does look to be similar. Having said that, the drone in the video does look more like an MA than an MP, albeit with 2 missing arms. So presumably 2 missing motors also? Maybe that's why it fell out of the sky?!! Joking aside, if this does turn out to be true it's appalling. BUT! ( And I really don't want to be this person) another drone injury denier, but something really doesn't add up with this story. If the video had shown a drone with 4 arms, then in my mind it would've been signed, sealed and delivered. It would've been true in my mind.

But just to put a bit of perspective into this story. If it does turn out to be true, it's bad, don't get me wrong. But a great big news story (that no-doubt will get bigger over the next few days) in a country where you can walk into a gun shop, buy a gun and go and kill people! And this does happen in the US on a frighteningly regular basis...... Nobody died here! But her injuries could've been much worse if it does turn out to be true. Just saying.....

I guess DJI should take note. If they received a crashed drone, claimed under care refresh, and notice blood on the props, they should check the flight logs for time and location. But then again, I doubt they want to get involved.
If the drone has been flying around the area for sometime, maybe search youtube to see if the owner has been posting videos of the area.

If they received a crashed drone, claimed under care refresh, and notice blood on the props, they should check the flight logs for time and location. But then again, I doubt they want to get involved.
They would brake the privacy rules by doing that. I wouldn't be surprised if they do for their own records though.

claimed under care refresh, and notice blood on the props
I doubt that the 'pilot' wouldn't wipe the props before sending it in. Besides, he would send it in without props battery or controller

Amazing that so many of us here keep insisting that she's not telling the truth or that it never could have been a Mavic Pro or a drone at all.

The fact that it doesn't seem to have rear arms tells me that it probably hit the wall of the building at full speed, maybe sports mode, and lost one of the arms and crashed down. If you look carefully you can see something else falling, might be parts of the drone. The opening shot of the video, the screen behind the woman presenting, shows at least the right rear arm still attached.

edited: changed legs for arms

The video was around the same time not the 'drone' actually falling.
If it had a severe crash losing arms there'd be incriminating bits found but the whole thing magically vanished almost immediately

Check the footage at 1:24 - where are the opposing 2 arms?

Obviously it is a brand new kind of UAV that has only two motors. Completely coincidentally, obviously, there's another one flying around in the video that has no motor arms at all - it's amazing how fast technology is advancing. Almost as amazing as what can be deduced from smoothing greatly magnified image grabs from low-resolution, wide-angle surveillance videos.

Obviously it is a brand new kind of UAV that has only two motors. Completely coincidentally, obviously, there's another one flying around in the video that has no motor arms at all - it's amazing how fast technology is advancing. Almost as amazing as what can be deduced from smoothing greatly magnified image grabs from low-resolution, wide-angle surveillance videos.
So...what I'm hearing is you don't buy into this??

Reactions: sar104
The video was around the same time not the 'drone' actually falling.
If it had a severe crash losing arms there'd be incriminating bits found but the whole thing magically vanished almost immediately
Well, not immediately. The girl went to the bathroom to check her injuries and when she came back the drone was gone. If the operator had been standing close by he would have had enough time to pick it up, as well as the incriminating bits.

I just assumed the low res image from the security camera, making the arms like 1 pixel thick, gets aliased with the background, making imperceptible.
Or it might be the elusive Mavic Pro II, with only 2 arms. :eek: DJI was doing some testing, so they cleared the streets. And they had to quickly remove the drone, before there's real close up pics of it. Otherwise, Autel might copy. Ahh... the conspiracy!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580