DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THIS is why the Air 2 is better than the M2 Pro for video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiflyer808

Reactions
Yes, the M2 Pro's 1" sensor means it's better for low light. But it used to be that the sensor combined with the log profile meant it was also better for dynamic range in videos, when compared to drones with smaller sensors, but no more! With the quad bayer sensor you get hdr in the same way as with photos, with two separate exposures. The result is far better dynamic range than the M2 Pro, as seen here. Combine that with 4k 60fps (albeit not in hdr mode), and really the only big advantage the M2 Pro has is in low light.

Yes, the M2 Pro's 1" sensor means it's better for low light. But it used to be that the sensor combined with the log profile meant it was also better for dynamic range in videos, when compared to drones with smaller sensors, but no more! With the quad bayer sensor you get hdr in the same way as with photos, with two separate exposures. The result is far better dynamic range than the M2 Pro, as seen here. Combine that with 4k 60fps (albeit not in hdr mode), and really the only big advantage the M2 Pro has is in low light.

HDR VIDEO - have to say I am really excited about this as this could be a game changer for shooting in storms.

What a nice surprise , waiting on the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

cool demo. I was always under impressed with the MA 1 HDR mode for photos. Excited to try on video with the MA 2

Very nice. You speak clearly too

A one inch sensor will always produce higher quality images than a smaller sensor. Size matters.
However, if you are not expecting professional level results, the MA2 may be "good enough" for some people. It all depends on your mission, your client, your application, and your level of discernment.

"The three main benefits that prompt people to move to larger sensors are the ability to blur the background with shallow depth-of-field, exhibit less noise in low light situations and the ability to capture a wider dynamic range between the brightest and darkest areas of the image. Collectively, these three factors mean that large sensor cameras produce better-looking images."

Reactions: Mike6158
A one inch sensor will always produce higher quality images than a smaller sensor. Size matters.
However, if you are not expecting professional level results, the MA2 may be "good enough" for some people. It all depends on your mission, your client, your application, and your level of discernment.

"The three main benefits that prompt people to move to larger sensors are the ability to blur the background with shallow depth-of-field, exhibit less noise in low light situations and the ability to capture a wider dynamic range between the brightest and darkest areas of the image. Collectively, these three factors mean that large sensor cameras produce better-looking images."
Of the three advantages you cite for larger sensors, only one is relevant for the comparison between the A2 and the M2P. Shallow dof is not a factor in practice, since both sensors will have everything in focus at distances beyond around 15 feet, and how often do you fly a drone closer than that? DR is actually BETTER with the smaller sensor when using the HDR mode. The low light advantage, yes, that is relevant and significant.

Reactions: Rudiger
I’ve been sort of cringed out lately with the M2P hardliners. When the comparisons come up, it’s always right to the 1” sensor and the underlying vibe of sour grapes is so apparent.

Brett Garamella Laid it out pretty well in his last video. DJI has completed their lineup and the drones go double price in succession. The Mini is $400. The Air 2 is $800, and the M2P is $1600.

The Mini is for the starter, the MA2 is for the experienced yet still not commercial user, and the M2P is for the professional. The rule of diminishing returns is in full force as when you’re springing for the M2P you’re NOT getting double the drone of the one prior. But it’s understood that this drone is marketed to the ones who are very serious about their craft and are willing to pay the premium to get just that little bit more.

I seriously wonder how many of the people here who praise the virtues of the “1 inch sensor” are actually making use of it. Let’s be honest. I didn’t realize we were a forum comprised entirely of high end content creators.

The bottom line is this.. The MA2 is 97% the drone that the M2P is and half the price. If you bought the M2P prior to the MA2 release, you certainly shouldn’t sell it for a MA2. But in 90% of all cases (I estimate), you CERTAINLY should get the MA2 instead of the M2P.

I recognize that this is probably upsetting for all of the less than professional users of the M2P who sprung for the $1600 drone and the one that they really needed is now for sale for $800. I get it,.. But the relentless harping on the sensor for the justification is gross.

...Oh, and by the way. 4K 60, D-cinelike, and 48mp. So if we want to bring it all down to a single camera attribute, there’s actually some things we can point to on the MA2 and say “well the M2P can’t do that..”.

The M2P is better in low light.... So all of the professional drone photographers who specialize is low light aerial photography will have to go for the M2P..

...Oh, and by the way. 4K 60, D-cinelike, and 48mp. So if we want to bring it all down to a single camera attribute, there’s actually some things we can point to on the MA2 and say “well the M2P can’t do that..”.

The M2P is better in low light.... So all of the professional drone photographers who specialize is low light aerial photography will have to go for the M2P..
Yep, the Air 2 is WAY more bang for the buck, and actually better than the M2P in many ways. I'm selling my M2 Zoom and replacing it with the Air 2.

That may not be the case about the M2P being better in low light , because the HDR video is such a game changer.
Its possible that it may equal the M2P in low light if not be slightly better.

Some real world testing has to be done on that , soon.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Air 2 in the Rain.
Coal

Reactions: Fltwrench
Hi All. I'm wondering why some are making so much fuss at the time of launch the M2P came with the 1 inch sensor and we all believe that sensor to be best and normal going on especially in cameras as we know them e.g. normal camera's, and that's when Dji comes along and copies what's in the Autel Evo 2 48 MP but not true 48 MP they have managed to do a tech conjuring trick to make us thing its true 48 MP.
Ask yourself this if you knew that the MA2 was going to be what it is would you have waited and not purchased the M2P because I can and most others will say no I would not have waited. The MA2 looks a good bird but so is the M2P and if I hear you say but it's half the price and I say thats just tough you pay's your money and takes a choice just like I did and can you see me moaning no you can't. Why so much testing be happy with what you have and think there will be lots more joining our hobby because of the Mavic mini and the MA2.

Remember hdr is a software gimick. Two streams merged. There will be some ghosting errors in the post processing to create the hdr. This is true of hdr in general not just ma2. So the dynamic range of the m2p should still be seen as wider because it is in a raw capture.

You all can argue bang for your buck or 1" sensors but I feel it's more a matter of how your using the tools that either platform offers. The rest is just philosophical bickering. LoL go out and enjoy your expensive toys. No need for a pissing contest every time you fill your bladder.

Just my two cents. Toss them in a well and make a wish.

Remember hdr is a software gimick. Two streams merged. There will be some masking errors in the post processing to create the hdr. This is true of hdr in general not just ma2. So the dynamic range of the m2p should still be seen as wider because it is in a raw capture.

You all can argue bang for your buck or 1" sensors but I feel it's more a matter of how your using the tools that either platform offers. The rest is just philosophical bickering. LoL go out and enjoy your expensive toys. No need for a pissing contest every time you fill your bladder.

Agreed that there can be masking issues. However, no matter how flat a log profile is, using one exposure is not going to be able to produce as much dr as using two, as is done with the Air 2. I wouldn't call that a gimmick. And sure, for some people it's worth it to spend twice as much, if the few areas where the M2P outshines the A2 are especially important to them. But for most people paying half as much for a drone that's almost as good over all, and better in some important ways, is a no-brainer.

Remember hdr is a software gimick. Two streams merged. There will be some ghosting errors in the post processing to create the hdr. This is true of hdr in general not just ma2. So the dynamic range of the m2p should still be seen as wider because it is in a raw capture.

Just to clarify, there is no ghosting in the limited form of HDR produced by the IMX586 sensor because the two images are captured at the same time by different pixels running different gains or integration times. Of course you trade ghosting for reduced resolution and increased noise with that strategy.

Just to clarify, there is no ghosting in the limited form of HDR produced by the IMX586 sensor because the two images are captured at the same time by different pixels running different gains or integration times. Of course you trade ghosting for reduced resolution and increased noise with that strategy.
Though it's still a post processing function the quality will always be dependent on the quality of the processing software which leaves room for errors in the processing. Though I totally get what your saying if it can be shown that there is no latency between the two captures which there probably isn't. Thanks for catching that detail.

Yeah my preferences like bigger pixels and their ability to capture more light. It's one of the main reason I am considering going back to a full frame Sony after messing around with a m4/3 Olympus.

Yeah, there are always tradeoffs. I'd like to see a deep dive into this. Lots of side by side comparisons between cinelike, standard and hdr blown up 400% or so.

Though it's still a post processing function the quality will always be dependent on the quality of the processing software which leaves room for errors in the processing. Though I totally get what your saying if it can be shown that there is no latency between the two captures which there probably isn't. Thanks for catching that detail.

Yeah my preferences like bigger pixels and their ability to capture more light. It's one of the main reason I am considering going back to a full frame Sony after messing around with a m4/3 Olympus.
Dont get me wrong, i love big sensors and also switched from m43 to full frame because of low light issues primarily. However with drones, and still only 1", the low light advantage is too niche for me.

The biggest issues I've seen with MA2 samples so far are the noise and the diffraction-limited sharpness - it's not terrible but it's what you would expect from a small sensor with even smaller photosites. In terms of still images the comparison with the M2P is not going to go well. For video it's going to depend a lot on the intended application - for many uses the MA2 is likely going to do the job just fine and perhaps have some advantages.

Dont get me wrong, i love big sensors and also switched from m43 to full frame because of low light issues primarily. However with drones, and still only 1", the low light advantage is too niche for me.

Are you talking about video or photo, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka