DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on hacking Mavic 2 NFZ/HEIGHT/SPEED...

RealMagic

Reactions
Everyone knows the M2P M2Zoom are much advanced models compared to M1P. However, the M1P is still the only choice if you want to modify it to unlock the height/NFZ restrictions. So here is the question: is it possible that someone will soon come up with a solution for removing NFZ and height/speed limitations on the new Mavic 2 series? If not, is it because that some changes have been made by DJI engineers to make it impossible to tweak the settings in firmwares since Mavic Air?

Reactions: Nikola P
Everyone knows the M2P M2Zoom are much advanced models compared to M1P. However, the M1P is still the only choice if you want to modify it to unlock the height/NFZ restrictions. So here is the question: is it possible that someone will soon come up with a solution for removing NFZ and height/speed limitations on the new Mavic 2 series? If not, is it because that some changes have been made by DJI engineers to make it impossible to tweak the settings in firmwares since Mavic Air?
It won't be impossible - Mavic 1 makes it very easy, literally a setting via the app (config file change in the drone itself). I don't know about Mavic 2, it may have the same "feature (vulnerability)".

people have already done it, it must be totally doable, a few members here mentioned using dji assistant to modify the parameters the only difference was the parmeters were named differently than the mp1. i think the users remove a few modules in the firmware so they can modify the parmeters. i sent a message to "nld" drones asking about the mp2 and they are on it and will confirm what paremeters can and cant be adjusted

Reactions: juanblack
people have already done it, it must be totally doable, a few members here mentioned using dji assistant to modify the parameters the only difference was the parmeters were named differently than the mp1. i think the users remove a few modules in the firmware so they can modify the parmeters. i sent a message to "nld" drones asking about the mp2 and they are on it and will confirm what paremeters can and cant be adjusted
Let us know if you receive a response! DJI just put a 2mi NFZ over my main flight area because of a prison. Extremely frustrating!

Parameter's are available but not NFZ/height limit, thats been disabled in firmware in the M1P for quite some time now. I think the ones that still work are mostly related to enabling ATTI, climb/top speeds etc

Last edited:
Parameter's are available but not NFS/height limit, thats been disabled in firmware in the M1P for quite some time now. I think the ones that still work are mostly related to enabling ATTI, climb/top speeds etc
So NFZ removal will more than likely never happen?

Reactions: davemgood
Also, the NFZ was implemented with the last update to either firmware or app (not sure which it applies to). Could rolling back either resolve the issue?

I wouldn't say never, but you can bet DJI were a little more careful this time around.

For the better TBH. As frustrating as it is, it's not great that it was so easy for wankers to just apply a parameter tweak and then go fly in front of a jetliner.

If it requires a risky custom baked firmware modification or hardware mod, sure people will still use it irresponsibly, but it may help cut down on such incidents...

Also, the NFZ was implemented with the last update to either firmware or app (not sure which it applies to). Could rolling back either resolve the issue?
I believe if you read the "bird map" on nolimitdronez.com it lists the firmware version with the various hacking abilities per FW, so you can review the list, install NLD, then click to downgrade to what you desire.

Reactions: charliesRig
I wouldn't say never, but you can bet DJI were a little more careful this time around.

For the better TBH. As frustrating as it is, it's not great that it was so easy for wankers to just apply a parameter tweak and then go fly in front of a jetliner.

If it requires a risky custom baked firmware modification or hardware mod, sure people will still use it irresponsibly, but it may help cut down on such incidents...
I actually think (know) overregulation creates a black market for these mods. Creating an underground culture of modding without a way of stopping it. People who would use drones irresponsibly are now able to do so with a lot less worry about getting caught. In my case, rather than having reasonable NFZ or reasonable ways to access them, I will end up modding the MP2 and supporting that market.

Parameter's are available but not NFZ/height limit, thats been disabled in firmware in the M1P for quite some time now. I think the ones that still work are mostly related to enabling ATTI, climb/top speeds etc

You are partially right. The NFZ and height limit parameters became unavailable for M1P in firmware after 03.700, but you can always go back to the earlier ones or use mixed firmware. However, it's totally nothing you can do to tweak these settings on Mavic Air, it makes me wonder if DJI did the same thing to Mavic2 to prevent hacking.

I know it does, but the FAA cannot simply allow these things to fly freely in hazardous airspace. The fact that anyone with limited tech experience could follow a short guide to disable a crucial safety feature with next to no risk of damage to their drone was a huge problem for DJI.

As the difficulty of disabling the NFZ increases ( and risk of hardware / firmware damage increases ) it will turn some people off, and it will decrease the very public incidents of people flying where they shouldn't be. Obviously there are people who will still go to great lengths to flaunt the system, with or without malicious intent ( you could cover the thing in heavy foil and just fly in atti mode ). That doesn't mean the NFZ is a bad thing, however the exemption processes for legitimate pilots probably need to be improved.

In the wake of people ploughing trucks into crowds of people, would you also argue that the heavy steel posts and concrete bollards around public gathering points is a bad thing? Just because someone with a big enough truck and enough intent could maybe still get through them? These things, and the NFZ measure are there to stop the easy, opportunistic nuisance.

Last edited:
You can quite simply buy a drone that doesnt have NFZ if it bothers you that much, Parrot and Autel are two readily available drones.

Personally the only parameter mods that are of any interest to me are the sport mods, I have no interest in flying anywhere near an airport.

Reactions: jointeffort
i belive u can remove the modules in the firmware that prevent the mods? i am running a much newer version than 103.700 as i wanted the panorama feature but i didnt want the other restrictions and with a custom firmware with modules removed accesing all the paramters is a possibility, i think dji is fully aware how relatively easy these are to hack and quite honestly it prob sells more of them so i donthink they would ever want to make thier product unhackable

Reactions: Larry Gibson
My personal guess:

Sport Parameter: Very likely
NFZ: Eventually
Altitude Limit: Very unlikely

Background for my assumptions:
NFZ was removeable by using an empty NFZ file being pushed to the drone after rooting the bird. The root was enabled as the programming preventing a firmware downgrade was sloppy. The door was closed only on the firmware rolled out to MP/MPP on 4th of July. The orginal "See the bigger picture" was scheduled for July 18th with the new birds being manufactured way ahead before that. So I would guess that hopefully in the shipping firmware version 00.00.600 this door is still there and just some changes need to be done for accessing it. Interestingly DJI gives me reason for this to believe as in the changelog they use for current V01.00.000 the same wording as on July 4th: "Increased data security" which was at that time basically the only change they did.

Altitude could only be changed with an older firmware part being on the bird but no possibility with the new modules. Hence there is a fundamental module change structure preventing this. Hence I don't believe it will be possible. Except we are lucky and the rumoured Enterprise version doesn't have this. Then you could eventually mix the modules again but that's just a far guess.

Most of the development takes place in the so called Slack Group and NDL just repackages the input to be more useable as far as my knowledge goes.

I still bought the MP2 though.....

Completely wrong, actually now you can patch the whole 01.04.0300 FC binary with more control than ever.

M2 will very likely also get broken into, but as usual it may take a few months.

Completely wrong, actually now you can patch the whole 01.04.0300 FC binary with more control than ever.

M2 will very likely also get broken into, but as usual it may take a few months.

But still not >=01.04.400, overall I agree - matter of time

Reactions: angell
That's becasue there's nothing new in those anyway (and you can downgrade them to 300), so not worth the effort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost