DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on hacking Mavic 2 NFZ/HEIGHT/SPEED...

Height restriction? My Go 4 app with my M2P just asked me to acknowledge that I'm grown up to understand I'm responsible for my own actions. I was curious what would happen, so I zipped up and back down to see if that worked. It did, as you can see.Screenshot_20180912-215347.jpeg

Reactions: Goof
Height restriction? My Go 4 app with my M2P just asked me to acknowledge that I'm grown up to understand I'm responsible for my own actions. I was curious what would happen, so I zipped up and back down to see if that worked. It did, as you can see.

That's not the height restriction. The height restriction baked in to the firmware is at 500 meters (1640 feet) and this is the altitude restriction being talked about. Lest one think that only outlaws fly over 500 meters in altitude or have a need for that, many of us have requirements to fly up the sides of mountains or cliffs and despise the 500-meter altitude restriction (while remaining within the 400-foot height "limit" of the terrain).

Height restriction? My Go 4 app with my M2P just asked me to acknowledge that I'm grown up to understand I'm responsible for my own actions. I was curious what would happen, so I zipped up and back down to see if that worked. It did, as you can see.View attachment 46321

LOL! Let’s us know when you get higher than 1640’.

That's not the height restriction. The height restriction baked in to the firmware is at 500 meters (1640 feet) and this is the altitude restriction being talked about. Lest one think that only outlaws fly over 500 meters in altitude or have a need for that, many of us have requirements to fly up the sides of mountains or cliffs and despise the 500-meter altitude restriction (while remaining within the 400-foot height "limit" of the terrain).
That makes since. Thanks for the clarification. The world is flat here in FL, but we plan to fly while we travel. :)

Some countries have no upper flight limit in their drone code, Albania and Macedonia have no distance or height limit in theirs, so its not only outlaws that fly that high, the viewpoints from 500 meters or higher are unique so there is a niche for those type of flights.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Some countries have no upper flight limit in their drone code, Albania and Macedonia have no distance or height limit in theirs, so its not only outlaws that fly that high, the viewpoints from 500 meters or higher are unique so there is a niche for those type of flights.

also, the altitude limit is always relative to your take-off spot, so that really makes it quite illogical in some cases, e.g. simply start from a tall building and you gained a lot of height....
in Hong Kong there are mountains bordering the airport at 1.5km away. starting from there and going up 500m is a crazy risk... but completely possible.
but i get that overall technically that is the most sensible way.

I took my MP to Alaska last year and hight limits were horrible. Could not leave the valley due to mountains on all sides. Extremely frustrating!

I would also like to see more flexibility with the altitude limit. I fly in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah and am constantly hitting that ceiling when flying up the side of mountains but always maintaining 400 feet AGL.

Every time I see someone mention flying up the side of a mountain, I envision a yoedeler hiking up a mountain.

Even if someone got into the MP2 and could do the mods they would be crazy to release it while this half baked MP2 firmware is around. That would just tip off DJI and they would patch it in the next release. Don't look for anything until the firmware matures to a point where all the bugs are worked out and features like precision landing and flight modes are available.

Rob

But still not >=01.04.400, overall I agree - matter of time
M2 will very likely also get broken into, but as usual it may take a few months.
The Mavic Pro 2 firmware will eventually be hacked into...just give it time.

I hope you guys are right, because when it happens, that's when I'll buy an M2. I'll be the first to spend hacking money to get my freedom to climb mountains. The current 1640' needs to be 4000' for the mountains I climb and explore.

To those who fly mountains, why dont you climb to the top, fly all the way down to a prearranged spot with someone to collect the drone, then use video editing software to run the video backwards, and lo and behold you have a single flight all the way up the mountain without that pesky 500 meter limit.

You can adjust the Height/Distance in the settings up to 500m/8000m respectively. This is AGL. Unless you are in a country that allows you to go higher, or want to violate legal limits, or create safety issues in the NAS, why would you need to adjust them higher than these limits. The limitation are AGL, so if you are up in the mountains or some other location with altitude, these limits start at the take off location, so there should not be a reasonable reason to adjust them above the 500/8000 meter settings. Unless you are doing research, then you could apply for a waiver or authorization and do so in a controlled/authorized environment. Just my humble opinion.

I hope you guys are right, because when it happens, that's when I'll buy an M2. I'll be the first to spend hacking money to get my freedom to climb mountains. The current 1640' needs to be 4000' for the mountains I climb and explore.

The 1640' is AGL, so if you take off at 4000' it will start from there.

To those who fly mountains, why dont you climb to the top, fly all the way down to a prearranged spot with someone to collect the drone, then use video editing software to run the video backwards, and lo and behold you have a single flight all the way up the mountain without that pesky 500 meter limit.

Hmmmm because we cannot get to the top unless we had mountain climbing skills and rigging. ;)

Rob

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Hmmmm because we cannot get to the top unless we had mountain climbing skills and rigging. ;)

Rob

and what if the valley is more than 500m below the peak. i hear there are mountains that are higher than that. is there also a -500m limit?
all important points that Spike seems to have overlooked
;)

and what if the valley is more than 500m below the peak. i hear there are mountains that are higher than that. is there also a -500m limit?
all important points that Spike seems to have overlooked
;)

There is no negative altitude limit. Why would there be?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki