DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Town of Oyster Bay, Long Island, Bad News/Good News?

JOHNVOSS

Reactions
First the bad news: The ToOB has a new permit application form which now requires specific flight information even for Seasonal (10/1-4/30) flights. The old permit only required specific flight info for Non-Seasonal flights,

The good news (maybe): The ToOB code for UAS is in Chapter 231. Under section 231-3. Definitions: A UAS is defined as any Mechanical device.........weighing NOT less than two pounds. My interpretation -y'all can make your own - is that my Mini 2 is exempt from these regs and can fly year round at any ToOB facility without a permit.

I requested a confirmation of my interpretation from the Town Clerk that drones under 2 pounds were exempt, including my under 1 pound Mini2. She declined stating "No, I cannot confirm that the code doesn’t apply to your drone. In my opinion, it is in your best interest to notify the Town of your intentions regardless of the weight of your drone in order to avoid any conflict moving forward."

The ToOB has some neat parks on the North Shore and the South Shore of LI. So, is it worth the possibility of a hassle? It's up to you.

• Angry
Reactions: Droniac
The whole code is here Town of Oyster Bay, NY: Unmanned Aircraft and it actually seems a lot more lenient than I thought that it was ...I am going to call Public Safety tomorrow ( The enforcers) to see if they can clarify this...that terminology "not less than 2 pounds" is cumbersome...but it sounds as though you can just go fly recreationally without too much fuss from a Town Park...can get some good stuff at TOBAY :cool:

I just checked the codes in the towns of Hempstead and North Hempstead and they have very similar wording regarding UAS EXCEPT that their regs apply to ALL UAS regardless of weight.

I guess you guys are missing this text: SCOPE and DEFINITIONS. The law only covers flying from town owned / managed property. It'd take an attorney to know for sure, but I do not see streets and roads mentioned though a zealous cop may say 'property' includes roadways. And, my earlier comment about flying in county and state parks (lots of them in the area) remains valid. And private property is still legal.

§ 231-2 Scope; applicability.
A. Scope. No UAS may be taken off/launched from or landed at any Town facility, as defined herein, by any private, commercial, or business person or entity without approval of such use from the Town of Oyster Bay, as evidenced by a permit issued by the Town Clerk.
B. Applicability.
(1) [blah blah]

§ 231-3 Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:

TOWN FACILITY
Any park, beach, cemetery, property, building or repair facility, under the ownership or control of the Town of Oyster Bay, or any of the Town departments.

True, point not missed (by me). Nassau County, the Long Island County closest to New York City is comprised of the three towns mentioned in this thread. Since I live in Nassau County it is convenient to fly near home when I don't feel like traveling. However, in the County, with its urban/suburban sprawl, most of the most scenic locations in these towns are at the waterfront parks, and that is the reason I began this thread. Also, It is difficult to find inconspicuous locations to park and fly without getting suspicious looks from passersby. I have flown - as unobtrusively as possible - from non town park locations. In this example I actually stayed inside my car while flying because I wasn't comfortable.

Video Commentary: Surprisingly, with the prices of ultra prime real estate in this part of the state being what they are, there are still several farms left in Nassau County. These 2, Youngs and Rottkamp Brothers, are nestled among mansions (with swimming pools and tennis courts) and country clubs in the swanky North shore village of Old Brookville which is considered to be part of the famed "Gold Coast" of Long Island.

Everyone has their own comfort zone and can act accordingly.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing

I just got off the phone with the head of the Department of Public Safety ...I asked him to clarify the regulation as I thought that I was misunderstanding it. He confirmed that if you are flying a drone that is less than 2 pounds you can go to any of the Town facilities described and fly while practicing the FAA regulations without getting that permit...the permit process and these regs came into effect in 2017....happy flying to other Long Islanders
Find a county or state road ... park, etc. Plus, Oyster Bay looks pretty small on the map.
The Town of Oyster Bay is in Nassau County and most County parks have signs prohibiting drones right at the entrance...Including Cedar Creek Park which has an AMA field

I don't think so...it does not say anywhere that you need to be a Town resident.....during the appropriate seasons it is difficult for non residents to get in to the Town Parks...but not impossible...just get there early and pay non resident fee fee.....the man told me that they get requests to use TOBAY for movies and the permit process was written up with that in mind..the use of movie quality professional drones.....he said they do not get many complaints about drones and they don't want to hassle drone operators...the man told me if I got questioned by one of his officers ...to just say that I spoke with him...he said the officers are not really familiar with the drone regulations

Forgot about the possibility of non-res paying at the gate. Off season I guess they could still kick you out if they checked. I flew off season at TR Park several times and never had an issue. Did he by any chance give you his name?

I just got off the phone with the head of the Department of Public Safety ...I asked him to clarify the regulation as I thought that I was misunderstanding it. He confirmed that if you are flying a drone that is less than 2 pounds you can go to any of the Town facilities described and fly while practicing the FAA regulations without getting that permit...the permit process and these regs came into effect in 2017....happy flying to other Long Islanders

The Town of Oyster Bay is in Nassau County and most County parks have signs prohibiting drones right at the entrance...Including Cedar Creek Park which has an AMA field
Mark you’ve become my LI mentor. I knew if I gave it a day or so you’d peel this onion wide apart. Thanks also to Johnvoss as it’s an obvious concern. Thanks for the bureaucratic leg work guys. Fly Fly Fly. ?? Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I decided to test the waters (pun intended) and went to Theo Roosevelt memorial Park in Oyster Bay. This is a TOWN of Oyster Bay park. While I was flying a Town Safety Officer drove by. I didn't make eye contact but I assume he saw me. It was a beautiful early Fall day. There were still plenty of boats at their moorings in the bay. Here is a sped up quickie video just for fun. The sail boat is the Christeen, an oyster sloop built in 1883. She was restored and re-launched in 1999. The house with the heli pad belongs to the Piano Man. At the end there I am at my favorite spot.

I decided to test the waters (pun intended) and went to Theo Roosevelt memorial Park in Oyster Bay. This is a TOWN of Oyster Bay park. While I was flying a Town Safety Officer drove by. I didn't make eye contact but I assume he saw me. It was a beautiful early Fall day. There were still plenty of boats at their moorings in the bay. Here is a sped up quickie video just for fun. The sail boat is the Christeen, an oyster sloop built in 1883. She was restored and re-launched in 1999. The house with the heli pad belongs to the Piano Man. At the end there I am at my favorite spot.

Nice flight. That's a lot of boats

Leave it to you Capn Jack! Loved it. Very cool. Godspeed always, Droniac

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan